• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christineredgate's Patch (1 Viewer)

Anntan

A weekend at Christine’s Patch.
Haverigg, has anyone ever been there, it’s a fantastic place for a person interested in the environment, especially birds. I believe there are more ecosystems in a five-mile radius of Christine’s house than any other place in England, and with a bicycle there are many others that could be visited in a day. Christine, or Christineredgate of the forum invited my husband and myself to stay at her house for the weekend. My husband jumped at the opportunity because he was stationed there when in the army and where he lived after being demobbed. We set off early on Saturday morning and the sky was overcast and drizzly, this condition continued until we reached the top of Grizebeck when the clouds parted to show us the sun shining on the sandbanks of the large Duddon River and far to the mouth of the river the Church in Millom, the small town close to the village of Haverigg. The road to Millom was narrow in places and twisted and turned, up and down, and at one place on a bend, passed close to farm building. Along the way we passed hedged fields with grasses and flowers swaying in the breeze and glowing in the sunlight after the rain. Great woods of Deciduous trees and Coniferous trees beckoned one to explore their dank, dark recesses, and the open fells with Heather, Gorse and Bracken invite the fit to wander their silent pathways. We parked in Millom and strolled into the town square where my husband was delighted to see a statue of an Iron Ore Miner pushing a “bogy”. My husband feels proud to be one of the last men to work down the Iron mine that was the mainstay of the town in the past, and he said that the statue looks exactly like he used to look, even down to the red ore dust. On the way to Haverigg we passed a three story tall derelict building called the Tannery. My husband also worked there in the past as a Toggler, stretching Cowhides. We met Christine at her house at Poolside in the center of the village and opposite the slow flowing Lazy River. Christine immediately made us very welcome and after a cup of tea we set out for a little walk on the beach where Alfie, Christine’s dog dashed into the water waiting for a stone to be thrown. The walk took us past Sea view and onto the Sand Dunes where the Sea Holly stood out brilliantly in its smoky grey foliage and sky blue flower. Gatekeepers and Ringlet Butterflies fluttered among the grasses and flowers and out on a sandbank Terns flew about calling. We returned back to the house and then to the Harbour Hotel where we enjoyed a substantial mid-day meal. Suitably refreshed we then set off to circumnavigate the R.S.P.B. nature reserve close by, starting off by crossing the bridge over the Lazy river and on past a large camping ground that overlooks the lake. My husband showed me where the mineshaft used to be. Nothing remains to tell anyone that there used to be a thriving Iron ore mine in the area apart from the office building on the hill, now called the Commodore Hotel. We strolled along Hawthorn hedged lanes and onto gravel paths where Christine had a bit of trouble negotiating her motorized three-wheel bike. Sadly Christine suffers a debilitating bone disease and it’s only her determined wild spirit that keeps her mobile. At one place boulders blocked the track and to prevent Christine from breaking through some gorse bushes my Husband lifted her heavy machine over and we were able to continue the walk. We passed large reed beds with small ponds where Mallard ducks displayed their young and at another place where the lake curved into a secluded cove we watched Grey Herons preening in the trees and on the water Great-crested Grebes with young, Coots, Moorhens, Mallards, Tufted and Pochard Ducks, sleeping and preening without concern at our presence. In the bushes the Chiff Chaff, Blackcap and Willow Warbler sang silently to themselves, there was no need to sing loudly to proclaim a territory now that the nesting season had ended. Leaving the cove the path wandered upwards passing a couple of ancient Lighthouses and onto the level graveled area, the lime residue from the smelting of Iron. Different none acid loving plants flourish on these slagheaps, an ecosystem unusual for this part of the country. The gravel spills down to the lake water and that’s where the sea birds nest. Ring Plovers, Lapwing, Oystercatcher, Little Terns, Sandwich Terns, and Common Terns. Black-headed Gulls, Lesser Black-backed Gulls and many other species visit in winter or breed here. The R.S.P.B. bird hide overlooks this area and is opened all the year round for anyone to enter and enjoy. Behind the bird hide stands a newly renovated lighthouse that looks out over the Irish Sea where Gannets and Shearwaters and other deep sea birds can be seen at various times of the year. On the sandbanks at low tide the Grey Seals bask and sing their mournful, magical songs. When we had filled our digital camera cards we then wandered back to Christine’s place and she downloaded our pictures onto a disk. After a snack and refreshment my husband and I wandered back over the bridge to the lake again and photographed the Swans riding the waves that were kicked up by the Ski boats that dashed here and there on the water. The sun sank like a bright red ball at the bottom of Black Coombe, a majestic mound that is just three feet short of a mountain. Before retiring we sat outside the front door among Christine’s brilliant flowers and drank a nightcap in the balmy evening breeze.
At six fifteen in the morning my husband and I were up and off for a walk. We passed the silent Hotel and onto the front at Sea View where Jackdaws and Starlings were searching for creatures in the grass. We wandered past the lifeboat Station and into the Sand Dunes. The chill of the morning had subdued all sound of insects but the show of flowers was magnificent. I had never seen such a mass of Harebells in my life, they covered the sand hills like bluebells do in a wood. The blue of the Harebells with the bright yellow of the abundant Ragwort was a striking contrast. Intermingled with these were numerous other plants of various coloures, the whole show was breadth taking and a memorable sight. This is the area where the Short-eared Owl can be seen hunting for voles and where Skylarks and Pipits abound. We wandered about taking picture after picture. It was when my husband had lain down to get a micro picture of a small flower when we heard the call of a Raven, then right at my feet came a louder raven call, my husband was imitating it. Two other Ravens followed the first and swung over towards us and only turned about fifty yards away when they recognized humans among the dunes. Our most exciting find in these dunes was the Butterfly called the Dark-green Fritillary, neither of us had ever seen one before and normally they are such fast flyers a person would be unable to get a photograph, however we found it in a slightly dormant state with the chill of the morning and were able to take many pictures, a couple of witch I put in the gallery last Monday. We returned back to the house and made our breakfast. Christine then got up and again downloaded our pictures onto the disks. Sadly Christine doesn’t have a back garden, only a back yard, this is where she has her feeding station for the birds and where all those wonderful picture she puts in the gallery are taken. Iridescent Starlings and old Blue-Eyes the Jackdaw. For the midday meal we went to the Port Hotel down at the bottom end of Millom close to where the Iron works used to be but first we went to the nature park by the Jetty. This is another area where the slag had been strewn and is still in a rehabilitant stage. Once again unusual different plants were growing, not being clued up on plants I cannot name them but they were visited by the Common Blue and Gatekeeper Butterflies, with Skylarks and Pipits singing over them. This area looks right up the Duddon River and with a telescope or good binoculars any amount of shore birds can be observed, the marshland at the edge of the river contains other species. After a huge meal Christine then drove us to a small seaside village called Silecroft, about four miles up the coast from Haverigg. The beach had no sand, only smooth wave washed stones and spaced along the tide-line for about a mile each way stood people with fishing rods, all hoping to catch that big one to win the competition, for that was what they were fishing for. We returned back to Haverigg and prepared to leave. Saying farewell to Christine was hard because we had become very fond of her. My husband mentioned later how her face could transform from a serious look to a brilliant smile that causes others to also smile. Thank you Christine from the bottom of our hearts for that memorable weekend in your patch. From myself, Ann and my husband Tanny.

Last edited:
Thankyou Ann,and Tanny .It was a pleasure to have you and we had a great weekend with good weather.You were the perfect house guests.I was still in bed and you had been out for a 3hr walk,then returned and made your your own breakfast.Any BF members who wish to visit this lovely area are more than welcome to stop over.

Ann,I have just re read your description of Haverigg,and the flora and fauna to be found ,also your mention of all the birds,etc,again,many thanks.It was late last night ,and I only skimmed through .
This really is a special part of the UK and visitors to the area will not be dissappointed.The bird life quietens down in the late Summer when the Terns and otherbreeding birds have left,but perks up again in the Autumn when the winter visitors arrive.June and July are the best months for rare flowers,and there are many species of wild orchids to be found inc the Bee Orchid.
Thankyou again ,Ann,for your very colourful description.
Look forward to seeing you again.

At last Iv'e learned to put in a thumbnail. Here are some pictures that I took at Haverigg. A Greyling on the beach. Oystercatchers from the RSPB bird hide at Hodbarrow. A Mute Swan on the reserve.

Attachments

• Greyling 1.jpg
    Greyling 1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Tanny 193.jpg
    Tanny 193.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 172
  • -Tanny2 060.jpg
    -Tanny2 060.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Anntan, that was almost as good to read as it obviously was for you to be there and how lucky you were with the weather - it could have been chucking it down.
Christineredgate, what a lovely, lovely spot of the world you're in! Watch out, you may find yourself inundated with visitors but there is always the local hotel they can be pointed to....
Bluetit

Mary Evelyn said:
An absolutely lovely story and a lovely tribute to Christine. :flowers:

I'll 2nd that.

Thoroughly enjoyed the read and the area indeed is superb. It's been a very long time since I have been in up that way. I had forgotten what I had missed.

Reader said:
I'll 2nd that.

Thoroughly enjoyed the read and the area indeed is superb. It's been a very long time since I have been in up that way. I had forgotten what I had missed.

Hi Christine et al, Cumbria is a lovely underbirded county, I'm fortunate here on the South Tyne and actually live closer the the Cumbrian coast than the east coast. The Cumbrian Solway coast is often overlooked, birders tend to link Solway with Dumfries & Galloway they don't know what they are missing.

Check out the following new website, I posted it last night but had no readers, its not just birds, the Butterfly section and search database is superb. Its not as title suggests just Lakeland its the whole of Cumbria and the more I browse I realise what a massive accomplishment it is.

http://www.lakelandwildlife.co.uk/

Stewart

You really stirred em up with your "other thread Christine!

Lovely read Ann and, as the others have already said, a wonderful tribute to our Christine. :clap:

Neil and I have often spent holidays and days in the Lakes and love the area...it's so easy to get away from the touristy spots and find places which are still natural and untamed and thriving with wildlife.
Haven't been there since last October and beginning to get some withdrawal symptoms LOL But as soon as I get some time off I plan to head over that way once more!

Gill

Thanks again,Anntan.As I have already mentioned if any BF members are in the area and they want an overnight stop they are more than welcome.This little coastal area is away from the main area of the Lakes,an hours drive min,from the M6 using some rather dodgy roads,but quite handy to visit from the Walney reserve at Barrow in Furness.

Hi everyone, seeing as there has been some interest in this thread I thought I would put in some more pictures. I would put a load of scenery shots but I havn't learned how to resize yet. Sea Holly, Pyramid Orchid and the Mute Swan.

Attachments

• Sea Holly 9d.jpg
    Sea Holly 9d.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Pyramid Orchid 1.jpg
    Pyramid Orchid 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Swan j.jpg
    Swan j.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
wow! - i would love to live there, never mind visit!!!

as mentioned, an exellent write up, cumbria being a favourite place of mine, i know how special this part of the world is.

I will be in Cumbria in just over 3 weeks - this thread has really got me counting down now! Thanks for the excellent website link Stewart - must have missed it last night

I'm a bit new at this - how do you quote someone's previous message in a reply??

LJH said:
I will be in Cumbria in just over 3 weeks - this thread has really got me counting down now! Thanks for the excellent website link Stewart - must have missed it last night

I'm a bit new at this - how do you quote someone's previous message in a reply??

Hit the "reply" button bottom right.

Stewart

Seeing as it's my friends birthday I have decided to resurrect this thread so that everyone can see what a lucky lass she is. The pictures below are. 1 The mouth of the Lazy river at Haverigg. 2 Looking up the main street of Haverigg. 3 The R.S.P.B. Hodbarrow nature reserve, taken from the bird hide.

Attachments

• Tanny 101.jpg
    Tanny 101.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Tanny 096.jpg
    Tanny 096.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 137
  • -Tanny2 113.jpg
    -Tanny2 113.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Thanks,Anntan,3 nice shots,you have even captured a few gulls on the Harbour Hotel roof.For anyone who does visit our little village,the Harbour serves excellent Deuchars real ale!!!

Here is just another little continuation on the story of Christine’s Patch. Sadly, Haverigg has slowly changed from a sleepy fishing village into a progressive holiday resort. Many old-timers of the village look on all this as an invasion but others except the changes as inevitable after the Iron Works and the Tannery closed down and Butterfield started expanding the camping ground. With the expanding growth of building in the district and the increase of pleasure shipping out from the Lazy River, it was essential to have a well run Sea Rescue Station. Years ago before the rescue station was established, many local men died because of the treacherous waters just out from the village. I don’t know the history of the Rescue Station but I do know that it was established by some of the local fishermen and all of them volunteers. They had to beg and borrow to get things started and then place their lives in danger going out in their flimsy craft to rescue foolhardy tourists. I was so pleased to find this sculpture, dedicated to such men just out from the Sea Rescue Station at Haverigg. I hope my pictures do it justice and show viewers the beauty of the country in the background. This sculpture is called, Escape to Light, by Josefina de Vasconcellos. Behind the third picture you can see the Sea Rescue Station and the Mountain called Black-coombe.

Attachments

• Escape to light.jpg
    Escape to light.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Josefina de Vasconcellos.jpg
    Josefina de Vasconcellos.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 116
  • The rescue station and Blackcoombe.jpg
    The rescue station and Blackcoombe.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Thanks,Anntan,I was considering taking a shot of this myself and posting it on WPF.There is a lovely poem which goes with this sculpture.The lady who crafted this sculpture was in her late 80's,she sadly died last year,When I have 5 mins,I will copy the poem and post it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back