• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift behaviour. (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
During the recent hot weather I opened the trapdoor to the loft to allow the heat out.
Last Tuesday evening I had a young Swift Apus Apus flapping around upstairs, I caught it easily and released it without any harm. I wasn't sure if it came through a window or the via the loft. Last night my son saw one come out of the loft opening, an adult this time, which I again caught and released ( and also closed the loft trapdoor ).
I'm reasonably sure that I have not had Swifts nesting in my house, although I have seen them checking it out.

Eventually, to the question:.
After fledging and before migrating, I had always assumed that the whole family returned to the nest for the night, I have seen them do this at one site during my childhood ( dim and distant ). Or do they, as this occurrence tends to suggest, roost in the eaves of other buildings?.

And what were these two doing dropping out of my loft hatch?. Its almost set in the centre of my roof space?. For a bird that doesn't walk and cannot take off from a surface they moved quite a long way from the eaves.

A few questions, possibly unanswerable!.

And last a statement:
I do like Swifts, they ARE the essence of quiet summers evenings :cool: .

Attachments

• IMG_6669tn_.JPG
    IMG_6669tn_.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
We had the same thing happen at our previous abode. Loft hatch was open, next minute, swift flying around in the bedroom!

Happened twice. They did nest in the eaves though. Perhaps, with the hatch open, they were drawn to the light below, and possibly thought daylight? I don't know.

We came to the conclusion the loft hatch would stay well and truly shut until the swifts departed for warmer climes.

A great photo. Aren't they just superb. Unfortunately I saw one that had been knocked down by a car the other day, obviously doing its low fly past over the road. :-C

Swift Box

I love swifts too. We've had two swift boxes - made to RSPB spec. on our eaves for about 10 years!! They've shown no interest at all although they nest on a nearby street and have done for many, many years. So we still have their lovely screeching fly-pasts. I think the box must be on the wrong side of the house - gets sun late p.m. and evening.

Sandra
:h?:

I have had the same problem there have been two pairs nesting in the loft space for a few years now, one nest is open just on top of the bricks under the tiles the young used to wander around in between feeds so this year I cut and placed a box in the angle, also an adult was found hanging on the trapdoor one day I placed it in a box and held it to the open window, they seem to check out the site very early on there return as this was only a day after my first sighting of the year. I have recently had the roof retiled two vents where fitted for ventilation perhaps this was taken as an exit route.
Took a quick snap of the Swift while I thought of a plan of action,I dont know what happened as there is a Ghost image I must have had the camera on a slow shutter speed.

Attachments

• DSCN0166 copy.JPG
    DSCN0166 copy.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 179
Sandra (Taylor) said:
I love swifts too. We've had two swift boxes - made to RSPB spec. on our eaves for about 10 years!! They've shown no interest at all although they nest on a nearby street and have done for many, many years. So we still have their lovely screeching fly-pasts. I think the box must be on the wrong side of the house - gets sun late p.m. and evening.

Sandra
:h?:
Hi Sandra

I think you're right. I have swifts nesting in my house and there is another at my neighbours. Both face North East and both are shaded from the late sun.
I'm waiting for both nests to fledge, which must be soon and with luck I may get a seriuosly good fly past before they head off. We started off with 7 swifts last night it was up to 11 as I think youngsters from a nearby third nest have joined in.
Better than the Red Arrows for me.

Hmm
Interesting about nesting sites locations. The side of my house where they have shown interest and where I think they are entering is also North East.

At this time of the year I get regular taps on the door from my neighbours asking me to extract birds that have found their way into their houses through open windows - we have good numbers of house nesting swifts along our streets - and found birds perched atop lampshades & wardrobes.

The non-walking / non-take off situation is also major event for the children in our neighbourhood, with inevitable groundings of juveniles or over enthusiastic adults getting that little bit to close to terra firma for a meal.

The children, fearful of handling the bird, are delighted to have a close-up view of these fantastic aerobatic marvels, it also serves as a useful ringing demonstration and opportunity to teach all concerned that birds are not targets for stones, etc. but really amazing creatures (it also causes a great deal of hilarity when asked "is it a boy or girl" you answer by blowing on its tummy to reveal the brood patch!)

alan_rymer said:
And last a statement:
I do like Swifts, they ARE the essence of quiet summers evenings :cool: .
Too true, Alan - Swifts are in my TOP sector of favourites.
A few weeks ago my wife was looking out of the open patio doors, and a Swift flew low over the field towards the back garden of our bungalow. Instead of flying over the roof, it came straight into the room, almost touched my wife's nose, then with a squeak swiftly (sorry!) turned and flew out again.
We will be very sorry when they soon start on their journey back to Africa.

Roger

Alan I wonder if that horrible parasite that they carry showed itself when you handled the bird.
The local swifts here left last friday and the odd one has gone through here in a southerly direction so things are on the move.

Regards,
Chris.

gw4aurora said:
Alan I wonder if that horrible parasite that they carry showed itself when you handled the bird.
The local swifts here left last friday and the odd one has gone through here in a southerly direction so things are on the move.

Regards,
Chris.
Must admit, I didn't look for any parasites, just wanted to get it outside as quickly as possible without too much undue stress.
I assume its the blood sucking little things you were asking about?.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back