• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual crow behaviour? (1 Viewer)

Alix

Canada
Hi, I’m new here and looked you up to see if anyone else is noticing odd crow behaviour. I have had a mated pair of crows return to my yard for a couple of years now. This year when they returned they were quite skittish and initially I brushed it off. Now, I’m a bit worried. They are audible in the distance and I’ve had a few brief sightings, but they have not come to the yard (and I have prime stuff out for them). I’d think maybe they were just busy, nesting, mad at me, or even picky about my offerings, but I talk to a couple other folks who feed the crows and they’ve had the same experience. We are not all in the same city, but all on the prairies (Alberta, Canada). Has anyone noticed similar behaviour? Anyone have an explanation that I don’t know about?

Sadly - no. The last few years they trusted me enough to sit in the branches of the tree above my head when I took out their treats. Now they are so skittish that when I take stuff out they fly across the street and down the block. They ARE returning more quickly to the yard, but they won’t eat if I sit outside. The magpies have no such reticence. If the crows don’t come for their goodies the magpies are ON IT.

My husband suggests these aren’t my usual crows but I’m pretty sure of the one anyway. He’s got a white spot on his left shoulder and a cute waddle-hop-flap in his gait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back