• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

anybody love the 8x50 slc model (1 Viewer)

Markp

i wear specs and after trying everthing at the british birdwatching fair found these the best but with a small hama shouder stock to help with the weight and steadyness.

Markp said:
i wear specs and after trying everthing at the british birdwatching fair found these the best but with a small hama shouder stock to help with the weight and steadyness.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, there's no beating a 6mm or 7mm exit pupil for ease of view and picking out details in the shadows. I can only assume that the 8x32 protagonists have never bothered to look through a 7x42 or 8x50.
I have the 7x42 SLCs and think that Swarovskis are unbettered optically and unequalled mechanically.

John

John Russell said:
I can only assume that the 8x32 protagonists have never bothered to look through a 7x42 or 8x50.

Or maybe they are old enough that their eyes don't open to 6 or 7 mm. Not everybody is under 25.

Curtis Croulet said:
Or maybe they are old enough that their eyes don't open to 6 or 7 mm. Not everybody is under 25.

While I concede that ones pupils are unlikely to be fully dilated in a birding situation, I think it is false to assume that the binoculars' exit pupils need be no larger. Few users will set the interpupilliary distance to a tolerance within tenths of a milimeter or will attain and hold vertical and horizontal allignment for both eyes in that range of tolerance. Large exit pupils provide some room for error and thus a much easier view and, in many situations, a brighter view.
You really should try something in that range, or perhaps better not - it could turn out to be expensive!
BTW, Curtis, I'm a little over 25 myself - er, 60 to be exact ;-).

Regards,

John

Ol' Blue Eyes

Curtis Croulet said:

Curtis,

I'm pushing 60 and still get a measured 7+mm dilation in total darkness! But I am informed this is a consequence of being blue-eyed! Aparently its in my genes (!) - which have a Scandanavian origin (long dark nights), and which may explain my predeliction for wandering through (and feeling completely comfortable in) woodlands long after sunset (with my trusty 7x42 Ultravids!).

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back