• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

southernmistie

I am new to all of this so please forgive if I do this wrong. I live in Corpus Christi, TX. This season is my first ever to place Hummingbird feeders on my back patio. OK!!!!! I am hooked. It has been such fun to see the numbers increase as time goes on. Yesterday my husband and I were on the patio and there were at least 7 at a time flying in and through out the patio area. It was surprising how close they would fly by while we were standing there taking it all in. My question? Is it true at some point at the end of the season, when they are leaving for the winter months should we take the feeders down? I was told if we leave them up they would not go and possibly stay in the area causing negative problems during the winter months. Is this true? Is Corpus Christi so mild during the winter months that they are with us the whole year? If anyone could help me with questions please reply. Thankyou!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi southernmistie,

From all the BirdForum Moderators and Administration, Welcome!

We are glad to have you join us in our appreciation of nature, especially wild birds.

We hope you find this site enjoyable and rewarding.

You do not have to worry about any negative effects of leaving your hummingbird feeder up for too long. The hummers know when to leave your area and they will do so, whether the feeders are there or not.

Larry is 100% correct southernmistie. I know many hummingbird enthusiasts in Corpus Christi who enjoy hummingbirds 12 months of the year. You are in a great location. This time of year, the Ruby-throated should be trailing off and the Black-chinned showing up again. You could have Buff-bellied. Rufous should be around and maybe some Calliopes. Anna's is not out of the question and of course, on the Gulf, we are learning that Allen's are more common than we thought. A great spot.
In the summer, Corpus Christi again hosted a Green Violet-ear this year!

Mark
Bastrop, TX

southernmistie said:
I am new to all of this so please forgive if I do this wrong. I live in Corpus Christi, TX. This season is my first ever to place Hummingbird feeders on my back patio. OK!!!!! I am hooked. It has been such fun to see the numbers increase as time goes on. Yesterday my husband and I were on the patio and there were at least 7 at a time flying in and through out the patio area. It was surprising how close they would fly by while we were standing there taking it all in. My question? Is it true at some point at the end of the season, when they are leaving for the winter months should we take the feeders down? I was told if we leave them up they would not go and possibly stay in the area causing negative problems during the winter months. Is this true? Is Corpus Christi so mild during the winter months that they are with us the whole year? If anyone could help me with questions please reply. Thankyou!

No. There is no reason to ever take your feeders down in Corpus Christie. You can have:
Buff-bellied Hummingbirds
Rufous Hummingbirds
Calliope Hummingbirds
Allen's Hummingbirds
Black-chinned Hummingbirds
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and even possibly
Anna's Hummingbirds
through the winter months. There is no truth at all to the myth that leaving your feeder up delays their departure.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Sure would. While not a review species here in Texas, the number of Anna's in any one year is never high. There is a hummingbird bander in Corpus though!

Last edited:
Hummingbird, should I expect all seven varieties you listed for Corpus in Brownsville? So far this month I have only attracted buff-bellied and ruby-throateds. Do the others come later? Also, aren't green-breasted mangos supposed to wonder down here once in a while? Thanks

Ehrodz:
While there have been verified Green-breasted Mango reports as far north as Corpus Christi, most of the recent activity for this species that can be verified has been from two or three yards in McAllen. It has been adult males exclusively.
All of these species would indeed be POSSIBLE, not necessarily probable in either Brownsville or Corpus Christi.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Curtis Croulet said:
I wouldn't, either, but it would certainly be exciting news!
Curtis:
Maybe we both need to hold our collective breaths - an Anna's was reported in Corpus Christi yesterday. Now, if Glenn can get his nets over there.....

Mark
Bastrop, TX

THANKYOU for your replies

Well sounds like Corpus Christi must be Hummingbird Heaven! o:) I don't know all the various breeds of "hummers" (a new term for me as well) but I've certainly seen at least three that are different in coloring in my yard at the feeders. As time goes on I hope to learn more as I can see you guys know your stuff when it comes to birds. Hummers are quite fascinating to watch. At times they act fearless! Very aggressive toward one another. We have placed two feeders on the patio but that does not hinder one bird trying to hoard both feeders disallowing others from feeding. It is really humerous to watch all their antics! All the chirping, dodging, and darting about. I appreciate all your replies to my questions. I now feel comforted in the fact that I can leave my feeders up year round.

southernmistie: Aside from different species, you're seeing males, females & juveniles, which all look different. I recommend that you get two books: Peterson Field Guides: Hummingbirds of North America by Sheri L. Williamson and Hummingbirds of North America: The Photographic Guide by Steve N. G. Howell. These books are complementary and will answer a lot of questions about hummingbirds. Sheri's book has some very detailed range maps, their small size notwithstanding.

You might also try "Hummingbirds of Texas with their New Mexico and Arizona Ranges" by Shackelford, Lindsay and Klym recently published by Texas A&M Press.

I will look for the books as I am interested in learning more. I have always been an avid bird observer through the years but I've never pursued the educational aspect. I am from the Dallas/Ft.Worth area and I've always placed wild bird seed out to draw the birds in because it is of great interest to me. It is so very pleasing and soothing after a long stessful day at work. I have to admit I do miss seeing Cardinal's and BlueJay's the most now that I live in Corpus. I love the sound of the BlueJay. But I know I have much to draw from in Corpus as well. When I moved to Corpus, my back yard area was not any place a bird would want to visit. A desert waist-land! I didn't even want to go out there! HA I've since placed many potted plants out on the patio, planted flowering shrub, installed a rock water fountain, cleaned up, got rid of a pile of junk that attracted nothing but scorpions etc.... and finally it is slowly becoming a place of comfort for the whole family. Anyway, I know this site is for bird stories not landscape stories. HA! I just wanted to share a bit about the goals I've achieved thus far in enticing my "fine feathered friends" to drink from my cup.

Southernmistie:
If I am not mistaken, the Native Plant Society of Texas is planning a Wildscaping workshop for the weekend of November 5 in Corpus Christi. That would be a great opportunity to learn more about how to attract birds and also to pick up a few plants that would be useful in your efforts.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back