• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Austin TX - March - Golden-cheeked/BC Vireo (1 Viewer)

streatham

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone had experience with GC Warbler and BC Vireo finding near Austin Texas. I will probably be there either mid or late March. As I understand it the Golden-cheeked turns up about The second week of March but I can't find details on the Vireos. Anyone have any experience of finding them and can pass on experiences. I also wondered if there was something similar to the walks looking for the Kirtlands - of course I'd like to go find my own but as a last resort! Also i was wondering what the birding in Texas is like at that time - I imagine it is fairly transitional between winter and summer species - wondering if wintering Sparrows, Pipits, Longspurs will still be around at that time.

Thanks in advance for any help - Luke

Hi, Luke:

The average arrival dates for the warbler and vireo are March 10-15 and March 25, respectively. There are usually posts on TEXBIRDS <www.texbirds.org> when the birds start showing up. Balcones Canyonlands NWR is a very reliable place for both species, though the warbler is more widely distributed than the vireo.

Early migrants are moving through during your likely visit dates, and the Austin area has several good migrant traps, which will be mentioned on TEXBIRDS.

Also, no trip to Austin is complete without a visit to Hornsby Bend, a sewage treatment plant near the airport. The ponds and river frontage there can offer great birding, including the odd rarity. Many Texas birders got to see their life Fork-tailed Flycatcher there this fall.

If I can further help you plan your trip, please feel free to contact me at sgross7 AT houston.rr.com

Steve in Houston

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back