• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Godalming wetlands (1 Viewer)

Tri-Counties Birder

AKA The Portland Naturalist
Hi everyone.

My local patch is Godalming wetlands (called Unstead Sewage Farm by the regulars, but I think the one I use is much better) in between Godalming and Guildford, Surrey. I try to go there twice a week.

Its only a tiny site (about 3 acres) and is privatley owned but it can produced great birds. I only started going there in May 2005, but my species list for the site is already 81. This includes a Marsh Tit on the feeding station, a wintering Cetti's Warbler, many Water Rail, Green Sandpiper, Whinchat, and a Peregrine. The ultimate sighting though happened when I was sitting in only hide on 21/9, when a bird of prey appeared. I initially thought it was a Buzzard, but, as it turned I could see it was an Osprey! That got the adrenaline pumping!

Despite the brilliant species I have seen, the list of species that I have missed is incredible, this includes: Grey Phalarope, Barn Owl, Avocet, Purple Heron, Red Kite, Jack Snipe, Woodcock, and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Just my luck! Species that have been seen there in past years include: Waxwing, Long-eared Owl, Black Redstart, Med. Gull, Pintail, Ruff and even Great White Egret (3 times!).

Lets hope the new year brings really good luck.

Sean F

Sean , I spent three years photographing birds at a local wetlands in Sydney about the same size as yours. I went there up to 5 days a week , sometimes twice a day ( I don't have much else to do ) and I still didn't see birds that others saw. The current list is 140 species and I only got up to 95. Every day was different. If you have 2 sites like this within an hours driving distance of home then you could have a full time job watching them.
Neil.

Sounds fantastic Sean. Wife and I have friends in Godalming. I take it you need permission from the landowner to bird at this site if it is private? Wouldn't mind a look in next time we are in the area. Anymore info on access/charges etc.

Gaz Shilton said:
Sounds fantastic Sean. Wife and I have friends in Godalming. I take it you need permission from the landowner to bird at this site if it is private? Wouldn't mind a look in next time we are in the area. Anymore info on access/charges etc.

Hi Gaz

Actually, the owner welcomes the public and there are no charges! Directions are not something I am good at but here goes. If you are traveling away from Godalming on the A3100 towards Guildford, then just after Broadwater Lake and Golf course, turn right up Trunley Heath Road. Keep going over two bridges and go into Thames Water Sewage Works on the right. The path to the hide is immediatley on your left. You can park just there or further up that track. You can see the rest of the reserve by walking along the public footpath. I hope thats enough. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Sean

Last edited:
Thank you for the pointer, I tried the site today and being new I was very impressed by the facilities. I saw my first Great Tit and Goldfinch and got some great shots, but otherwise not much else to be seen. I look forward to returning soon.

Sean F said:
Hi Gaz

Actually, the owner welcomes the public and there are no charges! Directions are not something I am good at but here goes. If you are traveling away from Godalming on the A3100 towards Guildford, then just after Broadwater Lake and Golf course, turn right up Trunley Heath Road. Keep going over two bridges and go into Thames Water Sewage Works on the right. The path to the hide is immediatley on your left. You can park just there or further up that track. You can see the rest of the reserve by walking along the public footpath. I hope thats enough. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Sean

Thankyou Sean, will have a go at finding it next time I'm 'over the water'.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back