• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Forest a bit quiet recently! (2 Viewers)

Might be just me/unlucky, but is the New Forest not what it used to be in terms of the speciality birds, and their numbers/distribution?
I know wood warbler has had a bad time, but my last few visits, starting from last year, I seem to leave with a much longer list of what I haven't seen, than what I would have expected.
I'm sure there are regular sites for most species, but whereas in the past, casually walking round most areas of good habitat would get a good selection of species, its just not happening lately. Firecrest and Nightjar seem to be encountered regularly still; but as well as Wood Warbler, Crossbills, and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in particular, seem to be very thin on the ground. This morning really was rock bottom with not even siskins to show for a few hours round acres down and fritham plain! (Fritham in the past has been good to me with Firecrest, Woodlark, Hawfinch, Crossbill, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Dartford Warbler, usually 2 or 3 of these species per visit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back