• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Picture taking binoculars and scopes (1 Viewer)

rkbirding

United States
I found these picture taking binoculars and scopes and i'm wondering if they're a good way to digiscope before I purchase any:

-"8x Original Picture Taking Binoculars" - $79.95 (http://www.hammacher.com/publish/70439.asp?promo=el_optics)

-"8x Waterproof 2.0 MP Picture-Taking Binoculars with LCD Screen" - $199.95 (http://www.hammacher.com/publish/71756.asp?promo=xsells)

-"First Digital Picture-Taking Spotting Scope" - $229.95 (http://www.hammacher.com/publish/71499.asp?promo=xsells)

I'm about to purchase my first pair of binoculars and I'm thinking of getting one of those picture taking ones but i'm concerned that they might not be good quality. Any feedback appreciated :)

Don't touch them with a barge pole, the picture quality will be garbage. The first ones don't give a megapixel number for the camera so you can take it that it's miniscule. The second one has 2 megapixels but it doesn't say whether that is the true count or an extrapolated count. If it's extrapolated count then the picture will be exceedingly poor. The scope has 0.35 megapixels, that's less than my obsolete mobile phones camera.
You would be better buying a good pair of straight forward binoculars first and then later a good camera and scope in order to digiscope rather than touch these products. It bit more expensive but you will be happier with the outcome.

Keith Dickinson said:
Don't touch them with a barge pole, the picture quality will be garbage. The first ones don't give a megapixel number for the camera so you can take it that it's miniscule. The second one has 2 megapixels but it doesn't say whether that is the true count or an extrapolated count. If it's extrapolated count then the picture will be exceedingly poor. The scope has 0.35 megapixels, that's less than my obsolete mobile phones camera.
You would be better buying a good pair of straight forward binoculars first and then later a good camera and scope in order to digiscope rather than touch these products. It bit more expensive but you will be happier with the outcome.

i figured they were too good to be true, especially for the price and claiming to be waterproof. Maybe someday they'll make good picture taking binoculars but in the mean time i'll stick to normal digiscoping :)

thanks

To begin with, I don't care for most products that try to incorporate a lot of extra features into their design. Binocular/rangefinders, GPS/2-way radios, DVD/VHS players, and binocular/cameras, etc. If one part of such products goes bad, you've pretty much lost the utility of both so, I generally like to keep such things seperate.

Furthermore, when you consider that it is exceedingly difficult to get a basic high quality roof prism binocular for the prices you've quoted and then add to that the fact that you are trying to incorporate additional electronic components, it just stands to reason that they can't be offering anything of quality at such prices.

I agree with Keith save your money and buy a good binocular and then later a good camera. You'll be much happier in the end.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back