• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st Digiscope Effort (1 Viewer)

Paul Rule

I've had the CP4500 for a while, but finally got the adapter for my Swaro 20x60 Zoom (Opted for the expensive Spidertech version as this is the only one that you dont have to remove the rubber eyepeace to use).

Weather and lighting conditions not good this morning but had to have a go. 2nd problem not many birds about in my garden. Several tits fly in for about 3 seconds them fly off, but at last a more reliable subject turns up in the form of a Wood Pidgeon.

Managed to get 2 shots off before next doors cat shows up, and exit woody.

I'm still waiting for my cable release so had to fire the shutter by hand so was not expecting great results, but after a bit of cropping I think the following is not bad for a Ist attempt.

Scope Swaro 65 (non HD), Zoom setting 20X, f4 @ 1/80th sec. Distance 50m

Attachments

• woody.jpg
    woody.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 423
Grousemore - Thanks for pointing out that my Grass needs cutting, but its far too wet. I've had the non-HD version for about 8 months now and have never had any regrets about the purchase. I tried both versions side by side under not to good lighting conditions, and could detect no real difference. since then on occations under tricky lighting conditions a small amount of fringing can be detected, but on the whole I think its a superb scope. As Andy has pointed out elsewhere on this forum both Swarovski and Leica both use V. High quality glass in their non-HD scopes.

I had worried that digiscoping with non-HD glass might show up, and encourage me into a 80HD upgrade, but on early results I dont think that will be the case. I am not looking for masterpieces (although the odd one would be a bonus), just good quality record shots, and it looks like this set up will suit me fine.

Here is one that did not go quite as well (please dont laugh)

Attachments

• btit.jpg
    btit.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Also managed to grab a shot of Greenfinch. (much better than the Blue tit) This time I set the Camera on Multishot and got 2 reasonable images (out of 12). I'm chuffed with these first atempts, big thanks must go to Andy Bright for his excellent guide on the best camara settings to use.

Attachments

• greenfinch.jpg
    greenfinch.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 345
Hello Paul:
For a first try, you did a great job, forget about the Nikon cable, save money and build your own cable release, I used the Nikon cable and it is cumbersome and to many things get in the way as it has a habbit of doing zip all, also the double click of the button in order to let the camera know you are attached, has caused me to miss a lot perfect shots... mine is in the camera bag as a $169.00 dust colector.
I know the feeling regarding the Zwaro/Leica HD scopes, I tried the Baush & Lomb, the Pentax, the Leica and the Zwaro, side by side and also I could not see the difference in color aberation or clarity.. maybe it is my 70 year old eyes, but the B & L was 1099.00 Can $ the Zwaro was 3100.00 Can $, I guess my ancestor's "Scot" poked me and said get the Zwaro and save $$.
Visit my site and evaluate what I have learned in the last 12 months.... Like I said before, it is more like who is behind the camera than what is attached to the camera.
cheers
Walther Loff
www.walther-loff.com

Last edited:
Peter - The Spidertech adapter is fine. Its very easy to use, and I think is probably the best on the market for the big Swaro zoom, I just could not bear to remove the rubber from the eyepiece, which I would have had to do with the other adapter sleeves. The only downside is the price.

Walther – Unfortunately I don’t have the time to make a bracket but I have ordered a bracket that uses the good old fashioned release cable. I just don’t understand why these things don’t come with an i/r port or Bluetooth enabled so they can be used with a cordless remote release as does my 10+ year old Canon EOS 10 SLR. I notice that Cannon now do a cordless device at a 1/5th of the price of Nikons much derided piece of kit.

Paul

Your woodie and green finch certainly seem in focus though a bit soft looking. This is one of my problems. I increased the sharpening w/in the camera and that has seemed to help me out a bit. I would be very encouraged if this is your first tryout. Certainly way better than any of my first ones.
Now I give you a heck of a lot of credit for even trying to get the tit cause if they are anything like ours it's definitely like trying to shoot a moving target.

Hi Paul,

I go a bit behind and came a little late to viewing your early attempts at digiscoping.

The scope certainly coped well with the colours in the Woodpigeon, but as has been said it's a litle out of focus, quite possibly because the camera was hand held and the shutter speed not high. I find that it's all well and good holding a camera steady when shooting in the normal fashion at slower speeds, but is more awkward when held to the eyepiece of the scope as any movement is transfered to the scope as well.

The Greenfinch is a much better shot, nicey focused on the bill and eye, though the whole shot could do with lightening a bit and a touch of sharpening or unsharp mask.

You're cetainly getting there. If you haven't already got your cable release bracket, then have a look at the Jessops version, which following Andy's advice I got too. I even trimmed mine down so that it is a snug fit to the camera and I never need to remove it now, even when changing batteries.

I'd go as far as giving the Greenfinch two stars.

Hi Paul,

I go a bit behind and came a little late to viewing your early attempts at digiscoping.

The scope certainly coped well with the colours in the Woodpigeon, but as has been said it's a litle out of focus, quite possibly because the camera was hand held and the shutter speed not high. I find that it's all well and good holding a camera steady when shooting in the normal fashion at slower speeds, but is more awkward when held to the eyepiece of the scope as any movement is transfered to the scope as well.

The Greenfinch is a much better shot, nicey focused on the bill and eye, though the whole shot could do with lightening a bit and a touch of sharpening or unsharp mask.

You're cetainly getting there. If you haven't already got your cable release bracket, then have a look at the Jessops version, which following Andy's advice I got too. I even trimmed mine down so that it is a snug fit to the camera and I never need to remove it now, even when changing batteries.

I'd go as far as giving one star though the Greenfinch is close on two.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back