• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow Terrace (1 Viewer)

phyllosc

I've just asked the following on the Lists Forum but I guess it would be better placed here:

A few weeks ago I put up a 'Sparrow terrace' nest box. It was too late for breeding this year but hopefully they discover if for next year.

I haven't got a ldder tall enough to put it under the gutter so I placed it above the storm porch over the front, and north facing, door. I guess it's about 10 foot from the ground.

Has anyone had any House Sparrow breeding successes with these boxes?

Dave

Dave, I just cannot imagine anyone wanting to encourage the little vermin to breed! Yet, I have read somewhere on previous threads about worries over this bird's disappearance in some areas. Got time to give me a brief overview of why they're not surviving? They are a pest in the states, of course, and the Eurasian Tree Sparrows are just as bad here, where they are called ricebirds, from the havoc they wreak in the maturing rice.

Charles Harper said:
Got time to give me a brief overview of why they're not surviving?

I thought the RSPB website had something about the House Sparrow decline, but being a very difficult website to find your way around, I can't immediately find it, even after performing a search. I don't think anyone really knows the answer, Charles.

Recently the RSPB encouraged members to take part in a survey to ascertain the numbers of House Sparrows in various parts of the country. I can't find the results of that either!

We have been in this house about four years now and this year we have the highest number of sparrows ever. The other day I counted at least 15, including young begging for food - previous years they have been very low in number, some days producing none at all. Now I see them everyday. So maybe they are back on the up. And this is in a built up urban area with lots of cats around (but don't let that start the cat debate again!)

I did once take them for granted - now I rejoice at seeing them.

Charles Harper said:
Dave, I just cannot imagine anyone wanting to encourage the little vermin to breed! Yet, I have read somewhere on previous threads about worries over this bird's disappearance in some areas. Got time to give me a brief overview of why they're not surviving?

I've not seen a single House Sparrow in my garden since about February this year, after a long decline. Used to have 30-40 every day.

I've been doing two survey squares for the BTO 2003 House Sparrow Survey; on one, about ½km east of here, got about 15; on the other, 3km NE of here, about 40. I'm the closest to the city centre, with the two survey squares further out towards the countryside; the further from the city centre into the suburbs, the more sparrows there are. This ties in well with other observations that it is city centre sparrows that are declining the most severely.

This suggests it is something in cities that is bad for them. Perhaps some pollutant or other, maybe from traffic exhausts (this has been suggested), maybe something used a lot in buildings and therefore concentrated in heavily built-up areas (plasticizers [chemicals that stop plastics from going brittle] have been suggested).

But whatever it is, must be something used only in northern Europe. The decline was first noted in Berlin, Germany, and has been observed now right across from Eire to Sweden, but not (or not obviously) in southern Europe, nor, perhaps more oddly, in the urbanised parts of the USA.

No doubt someone will find out. Let's hope it is soon rather than later.

Michael

Sorry to put that theory to the test, Michael. I live a ten-minute walk from the centre of town and my sparrows are increasing, as indicated in my above post. In my sister's garden they are non-existent, and she lives in a village on the outskirts.

"Little Vermin"! They're wonderful birds Charles, they have real character.

As to why they are declining: some of the issues have already been suggested. The problem is their decline is something of mystery at present. Figures are quoted to show the decline but some these going back many decades stem from a time when horses were used and so towns were a ready supply of food stuffs.

Another reason I have read about concerns the lack of breeding sites in modern buildings, hence, the need to place Sparrow Terraces around to encourage these wonderful cheeking, churpy chaps!

Dave

dave in reply to your house sparrow terrace, I have had them up
for 18 months and still waiting!! but they do use them to roost in.
maybe next year eh, churpy is right there are about 15 in our
hedge at the moment trying to out churp each other, + 3
sunbathing wings outstreched great to watch.
bert

Bert

I'll keep my fingers crossed for us both. Yes, it is a wonderful sound when a flock of House Sparrows all get churpy. During the week I had a Grey Squirrel run through the garden (this was a garden tick and I hope it doesn't hang around). As it ran along the fence it was being mobbed by a flock of about 12 HS, all giving it hell!

Dave

nice sight dave, run squirrel run ha ha.
have you had many young this year? up to now we have had
16 brought to the feeders, and tables, so will see what happens
next year. will you let me know how yours get on? thanks.
bert

Will somebody send me some House sparrows please, we havn't seen any in our garden for two years. I will now find out about a sparrow terrace Dave. Thanks for the tip.

Bert.

I haven't done a count yet. I did a count for the RSPB survey in the early spring and had only 6 birds. I'm glad to report I've got a lot more now with the arrival of the young. I'll do for formal count soon.

Thankfully, I've not seen the Squirrel since.

John

I bought mine at RSPB Titchwell but I think many of the mail order seed suppliers sell them too. Try search Google under sparrow terrace.

Dave

We now have about 25, including the young, eating us out of house and home. Keith filled up the feeder yesterday morning, and we're talking 3 foot high monster feeder here, with sunflower seeds and by the time we got home from work it was nearly empty.

If anyone wants some House Sparrows let me know. Free to a good home!

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back