• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How can I protect a nest from crows? (2 Viewers)

Greenbean421

United States
Hi there! Please forgive me as I know nearly nothing about birds and their habits and how to protect the vulnerable..

Growing up in my family home, we had nothing but wildlife all around our land. It was the most precious and rewarding thing ever to see squirrels and deer literally walk up to our feet because they trusted us to not harm them, only feed them. We had families of bluebirds that lived in our trees and nested in our bluebird boxes. Larger birds would always try to attack them, though were rarely successful due to how much my parents did to protect them and that box.

Fast forward 5 years and a few catastrophic Ellicott City floods that deemed that home of 30 years uninhabitable, I am now living on my own in a small ground floor condo, front facing the parking lot. I have two very small plastic wreaths on my two-door patio opening. I had noticed for the last couple of months that two sparrows were spending so much time chirping and playing around on the wreaths and ledges of the patio. I don't have a clue how I didn't notice, but it wasn't until last week that I saw they had created a well built nest in one of the plastic wreaths..

Mama has since laid 5 eggs that she protects daily and nightly. It is the only joy I've had in years. To better describe, the wreath is hanging directly against my glass patio door and the back of the nest is a complete open view from my living room, along with mama keeping her eggs warm nearly 24/7. I can completely view the eggs, mom, and the nest from the quiet comfort of my glass patio door.

Since discovering her nest and her protecting her eggs, I refuse to go anywhere near the window so I don't distress her. She does quite well with so much activity in the parking lot. I cherish her from afar.

ANYWAY, we rarely get crows here. I've heard them quite a few times when I first moved in, but nothing since. All of a sudden I heard loud crowing a few times yesterday morning. Eggs are all still there, mama is okay, but I know it's only a matter of time. I have absolutely no idea how to go about protecting this family. A friend said to make a wire mesh bubble around the wreath so only mama can get in, but my mom keeps telling me I'll scare her away and the eggs will die.

I don't know what to do. I've attached pictures to hopefully explain the set up.

Hi I am having a similar issue right now.. how’s your nest been since? Do you have any updates?
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi there! Please forgive me as I know nearly nothing about birds and their habits and how to protect the vulnerable..

Growing up in my family home, we had nothing but wildlife all around our land. It was the most precious and rewarding thing ever to see squirrels and deer literally walk up to our feet because they trusted us to not harm them, only feed them. We had families of bluebirds that lived in our trees and nested in our bluebird boxes. Larger birds would always try to attack them, though were rarely successful due to how much my parents did to protect them and that box.

Fast forward 5 years and a few catastrophic Ellicott City floods that deemed that home of 30 years uninhabitable, I am now living on my own in a small ground floor condo, front facing the parking lot. I have two very small plastic wreaths on my two-door patio opening. I had noticed for the last couple of months that two sparrows were spending so much time chirping and playing around on the wreaths and ledges of the patio. I don't have a clue how I didn't notice, but it wasn't until last week that I saw they had created a well built nest in one of the plastic wreaths..

Mama has since laid 5 eggs that she protects daily and nightly. It is the only joy I've had in years. To better describe, the wreath is hanging directly against my glass patio door and the back of the nest is a complete open view from my living room, along with mama keeping her eggs warm nearly 24/7. I can completely view the eggs, mom, and the nest from the quiet comfort of my glass patio door.

Since discovering her nest and her protecting her eggs, I refuse to go anywhere near the window so I don't distress her. She does quite well with so much activity in the parking lot. I cherish her from afar.

ANYWAY, we rarely get crows here. I've heard them quite a few times when I first moved in, but nothing since. All of a sudden I heard loud crowing a few times yesterday morning. Eggs are all still there, mama is okay, but I know it's only a matter of time. I have absolutely no idea how to go about protecting this family. A friend said to make a wire mesh bubble around the wreath so only mama can get in, but my mom keeps telling me I'll scare her away and the eggs will die.

I don't know what to do. I've attached pictures to hopefully explain the set up.
Basically, there is nothing you can do. This is nature. Sparrows usually defend their nest very aggressively, they resist crows very well. What I recommend is to build or buy a birdhouse and install it nearby. If the crows destroy sparrow's nest and eggs they will have the opportunity to build a new nest in your nest box. Here you will find different birdhouse plans for sparrows and other bird species. DIY Bird House Plan To House Sparrows - Bird House Plan

Crows aren't guaranteed to kill all nests nearby. Otherwise there would be no other birds in places with crows. The best thing you can do is not draw attention to the nest, and hopefully they won't notice it. If they do go after it, that's sad, but they're all wild animals; this is what they do. Given that no species involved are endangered, it's best to just leave them alone.

Wire mesh could be a good protection, but the amount of effort required to hang it on the wreath now would absolutely disturb the nest a dangerous amount.

Putting up bird houses to offer safe nesting places is a good idea. You might look into if those birdhouses that attach to windows so you can view the insides are a good idea; I'm not sure if they come with some way to keep the birds from seeing through the window. If not, one-way window film can be easily and temporarily applied to the inside of a window. It is a bit reflective, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back