• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski sample variation? (1 Viewer)

Otto McDiesel

I have two EL's 8x32. One is one year old and has the dark mustard green coatings on the lenses exactly like my spotting scope. The second was purchased two weeks ago: it has less green and more of purple/blue/golden brown color on the lenses (resembling the Ultravid coatings). The second also has more contrasty and more vivid colors and images, perhaps even a smidge less CA, and is also a fraction of a nanometer sharper. I looked and compared for an hour. Am I crazy or something?

Luca said:
I have two EL's 8x32. One is one year old and has the dark mustard green coatings on the lenses exactly like my spotting scope. The second was purchased two weeks ago: it has less green and more of purple/blue/golden brown color on the lenses (resembling the Ultravid coatings). The second also has more contrasty and more vivid colors and images, perhaps even a smidge less CA, and is also a fraction of a nanometer sharper. I looked and compared for an hour. Am I crazy or something?

No, you're not. I haven't heard anything about it from Swarovski, but the ELs have undoubtedly been improved. A few months ago I compared an "old" 10x42 EL with a brand new one, and there is no doubt that the new one was the better one, both regarding colors and contrast. IMHO, the new ELs are right up there with the Ultravids and FLs.

TTT said:
IMHO, the new ELs are right up there with the Ultravids and FLs.

The "old" one was great and it had just a bit less contrast than Leica Ultravid 8x32. The "new" EL is just as good.

I don't know if the coatings are the "easy to clean" type, they were not difficult to clean on the old one either...

For sure the image is slightly better, at least in my pair and to my eyes.

Luca said:
My daughter loved my pair very much, so i bought one for her. She'll get it when she returns.

Your daughter is very lucky! Will you be giving her the new-better-brighter-version? ;)

adw73uk said:
Your daughter is very lucky! Will you be giving her the new-better-brighter-version? ;)

Absolutely yes, since it is also the one easier to clean (supposedly). I have to say it again: "the brighter and better" is very a small difference, and i need to have them side by side and look carefully.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back