• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting rid of the most annoying popups (1 Viewer)

walwyn

United Kingdom
From time to time people get annoyed by popup messages. The first thing to check is whether these are going from your browser or not. Most it seems are due to people being 'targetted' through instant messaging, you might also start to get messages offering to sell you software to turn it off. So you might want check that instant messaging is switched off before trying to do anything drastic, or pay out money.

Here is how to turn it off on win2K

Start
Settings
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Double Click 'Services'
Then scroll down and search for 'Messenger'
Then right click it.
Click the 'Stop' button
Then under 'Startup Type', set it for 'Disabled'

You will receive no more 'mesenger' popups.

I find Zone Alarm stops the 'Messenger' pop ups completely and then I use POP Up Stopper to stop pop ups while browsing - works very well indded and both are free.

Walwyn, I bought AdSubtract Pro (I was not solicited by them, I just went looking for something to eliminate the ads) some months ago for $29.95-- a very reasonable price for so efficacious a product. However, I have also just now followed your advice (the path is essentially the same on WinXP), thank you. I now await any fly in the ointment.

I have the free "popupstopper" download on mine and I am seldom troubled with an annoying pop-up. Couple this with "BT internet" as an ISP which culls out most of the junk mail, and "mailwasher" which cleans up the rest I am left usually,thank goodness, with a clean running internet session.

Just use a quality browser. IE doesn't cut it by comparison with actively developed new browsers like Mozilla and Opera. And, of course, switch off unwanted "services". A good spyware scan is a really important thing too. Adaware is excellent: www.adaware.de

Using IE because I'm lazy but downloaded Pop-up stopper and Ad-Aware 6.0 Build 6.181, latest version I believe.
Everything is going fine besides the fact that I always forget to use Ctrl to allow a wanted pop-up. Still, it beats having Wendy X popping up every umptheenth time.

A word of warning about pop-up stoppers. Some of the UK Banks (I can't comment on the rest of the world but I wouldn't be surprised if the same isn't true globally) use the same technology as part of the internet service - particularly login screens.

A friend of mine called me round because he couldn't get into his service any longer. I disabled his pop-up stopper and the service worked again.

Tannin said:
Just use a quality browser. IE doesn't cut it by comparison with actively developed new browsers like Mozilla and Opera. And, of course, switch off unwanted "services". A good spyware scan is a really important thing too. Adaware is excellent: www.adaware.de

I dont think you can call Opera a quality browser anymore at least IE works with the majority of sites :)

robinm said:
A word of warning about pop-up stoppers. Some of the UK Banks (I can't comment on the rest of the world but I wouldn't be surprised if the same isn't true globally) use the same technology as part of the internet service - particularly login screens.

A friend of mine called me round because he couldn't get into his service any longer. I disabled his pop-up stopper and the service worked again.

I use Smile online banking and I have to have my firewall set to allow script popups or the login doesn't appear.

Some people may have this problem when trying to get into the chat room, depending how their ad blocker or firewall is set, as this also uses a popup window.

On the contrary, Jeff, Opera works just fine. Much superior to IE 5 or 6 - and I don't even have the latest version. I'm still on V6.x (on the "if it ain't broke" theory). I would probably upgrade but with Mozilla so good now, there doesn't seem to be any need to.

Tannin said:
On the contrary, Jeff, Opera works just fine. Much superior to IE 5 or 6 - and I don't even have the latest version. I'm still on V6.x (on the "if it ain't broke" theory). I would probably upgrade but with Mozilla so good now, there doesn't seem to be any need to.

Don't upgrade to v7.......... v6 was bad enough. Stick with Mozilla if you dont like M$ IE, but IE is almost a part of the OS, so no real getting away from it.

robinm said:
Some of the UK Banks (I can't comment on the rest of the world but I wouldn't be surprised if the same isn't true globally) use the same technology as part of the internet service - particularly login screens.

Typical of pr0n sites.

Thank you for this!!!!

Dear Walwyn,
You have just quadrupled my pleasure in the use of the internet, I have followed your advice as the popups have driven me bonkers, and for the first time I am FREE!!!!!!
I even switched to AOL 8 just to rid myself of them but they still kept on. If I ever get a chance to buy you a drink I jolly well will!! Thanks a real bundle.
Nina.B :)

Nina,

No problem!

Why people do this I cannot understand. I doubt there are many people that would buy something from someone who continues to annoy them with popup messages, but obviously there are people that do.

I thought I had got rid of them but just had two at once from messenger service, just as I was notified of your posting. They are wasting their time advertising on my PC as I refuse to buy from those who give me hassle. Just had another one, so I've not succeeded in ridding myself of them after all. B*****Y B******s wish they'd pop off. Nina.

I'd have thought that with popup blocker and messenger stop I wouldn't be still suffering, but I had one more seconds after posting then none until I viewed this thread again, but I will try that one too, thanks!! Nina.

For a package as good or better than adaware, try spybot:
http://security.kolla.de/

I actually run them both.

I would also recommend zone alarm and a hardware firewall. But that is because I use VPN to work from home... and therefor any problems at work (worms) will go right through my hardware firewall... and hit the software one! For most people, a hardware firewall is good enough.

Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back