• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help needed with moth ID (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
This moth was resting on our wall, attracted by an outside light. I wonder if anyone can identify it. It was about 2cm long, I'd guess. The pic may be overexposed as I took it in the dark!
Thanks, Ken

Attachments

• wallmoth.jpg
    wallmoth.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 276
Hi Ken,
difficult to tell because of the exposure but it's one of the Wainscot family, I would guess Common Wainscott because of the lack of streaking/veining.
Chris

Hi CJW & Ken
I can't find Common Wainscot in Skinner but it certainly looks like a Wainscot species. Has it got another name CJW?

Try submitting to UK moths at @ www.moths.force9.co.uk

Went to a moth trapping session with RSPB several weeks ago and found it really interesting but daunting. The problen is that text books like Skinner show them laid out whereas normally their wings are folded!

Good luck!

Oops. Sorry Guys.Looking on wrong page! It is in Skinner under 'common' and on different plate! Checked Moths website Ken & their photo looks identical to yours!

I tried 'mothing' with a torch last night. There were several of this species on sedums. Could they be a wainscot, too?

Attachments

• moth1b.jpg
    moth1b.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 241
Hi Ken, the noctuid is a Square Spot Rustic, but I can't help you with the plume moth, sorry.

The first one is a Carnation Tortrix Cacoecimorpha pronubana and the second is an Angle Shades. Both fairly common.

Someone mentioned that Skinner is a let down because many spoecies are photographed pinned down in unnatural wing positions. That's true and a shame - the second edition of this book really is a disappointment from that perspective.

But - a new book, just out and in short supply, called "Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland" (see: http://books.reviewindex.co.uk/reviews_uk/0953139921.html) overcomes this disadvantage of Skinner's and is very useful indeed having far superior illustrations (but sadly no photos except of larvae).

This must surely now rate as a "must-have" guide as it is easily the best single-volume guide for anyone keen on moth trapping and a great accompaniment for Skinner (which in every other way is surely outstanding). Sadly it is £29-95 - quite a high price, especially for a paper back.

Steve Campsall

Last edited:
campsall said:
Someone mentioned that Skinner is a let down because many spoecies are photographed pinned down in unnatural wing positions. That's true and a shame - the second edition of this book really is a disappointment from that perspective.

But - a new book, just out and in short supply, called "Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland" (see: http://books.reviewindex.co.uk/reviews_uk/0953139921.html) overcomes this disadvantage of Skinner's and is very useful indeed having far superior illustrations (but sadly no photos except of larvae).

This must surely now rate as a "must-have" guide as it is easily the best single-volume guide for anyone keen on moth trapping and a great accompaniment for Skinner (which in every other way is surely outstanding). Sadly it is £29-95 - quite a high price, especially for a paper back.

Steve Campsall

Having a very large collection of Butterfly and Moth identification books in my library dating back to the 1830's I must agree that the new "Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland" is the best book for moth identification published so far. Nearly all of the illustrations show a near natural pose as one would find the species in the wild. Expensive perhaps, but compared with many other natural history publications it is very good value for money. I wouldn't swap my copy for anything. If you want only one book on moths, this should be it.
Harry Eales.

I haven't seen this new book yet chaps, so I can't comment on it. What I would ask is "do the plates show the underwings of all species?", if so then it sounds like a good buy if the answer is "no", then I'll stick with Skinner - it's never let me down yet.
Showing moths in their natural postures is all well and good for helping narrow an insect down to family, but completely useless in identifying many species. Are the specimens in the plates actual size? Are they drawings or photographs taken under controlled/neutral lighting?

OK I give up!
CJW - can't find Square Spot Rustc in Skinner. Can find Rustic & Square Spot but neither look like photo submitted by Surreybirder! Help the uninitiated please.

PhilW said:
OK I give up!
CJW - can't find Square Spot Rustc in Skinner. Can find Rustic & Square Spot but neither look like photo submitted by Surreybirder! Help the uninitiated please.

PhilW, try clicking HERE

(Of course, now that CJW has identified it, I had no trouble finding it on the above site.. finding one you don't have a clue what it is is a completely different kettle of caterpillars, so to speak).
Ken

PhilW,
The second edition of Skinner shows The Square-spot Rustic on page 97 and plate 28. Not an uncommon species and hardly likely to have been left out of the first edition. Try looking in your edition under the scienfic name Xestia xanthographa.
Harry Eales.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back