• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts seem very early (1 Viewer)

teamsaint

As I would have expected there have been small numbers of Swifts along the coast recently, but there also seems to be lots already inland, including a count of 37 over Romsey, Hampshire, as well as lots of other high counts from elsewhere. Is it just me or is this very early to see so many Swifts arriving??

I've only kept first & last records of migrants since Autumn 2003, and although this year is my earliest, it's only by a few days. Last few years as follows:

2007 - 18/4
2006 - 30/4
2005 - 27/4
2004 - 22/4

This time last year, i was really busy at work, and so didn't have much time to go birding, so that date was when i first saw one around my house (usually about a week after the first over water) and 2004, i lived in Leicestershire not Nottinghamshire.

Mike

Edit. Actually just looked at this list above after i posted it, i guess 9-10 days earlier than the last two years is quite alot. M

Last edited:
Always worth checking very early Swifts for white bellies and general Alpine-ness...

The one I saw was high up and it repeatedly dived, twisting 360 degrees, and then rose again only to repeat the dive. I've never seen this behaviour in swifts before so it did make me think it might've been something unusual. Anyone any ideas about this?

Anyway the normal swifts were back a few days after I saw that one!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back