• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Audubon 8.5x44 Model 804 (2 Viewers)

Very interesting. I’d assume the the Holiday/Panoramics went through the same evolution. Same with the focuser position.
Paul,
I didn't really follow models other than the Audubon, to preserve my sanity, but yes they all went through a similar evolution. The focuser location also partially correlated with whether they were American or European (writ broad) models.
Ed

the eye relief ahmmm......., looks tight.
I got the worst of both worlds from that problem when I briefly owned these. My eye socket shape with the big metal eyecups meant I couldn't get them close enough to see the full FOV while my long eyelashes were still brushing on the eye lenses. Definitely doesn't work for everyone!

The first attachment shows a 1965 Audubon with your Holiday on the computer screen in the background. They are the same mechanics, but only provide a measly 3mm more eye relief.

Elkcub do you use your Audubon with the metal eyecups in that position? My Swift #766 has similar eyecups but I need them turned all the way down to see the (very wide) field of view.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of those metal eyecups - much prefer rubber. When I fiddled with the metal eyecups on mine the fit etc. did not inspire confidence at all - in complete contrast to the rest of the binocular which I thought was extremely well made.

Elkcub do you use your Audubon with the metal eyecups in that position? My Swift #766 has similar eyecups but I need them turned all the way down to see the (very wide) field of view.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of those metal eyecups - much prefer rubber. When I fiddled with the metal eyecups on mine the fit etc. did not inspire confidence at all - in complete contrast to the rest of the binocular which I thought was extremely well made.
Patudo,
I fully agree. I'm not a fan of the metal eyecups either, and like you prefer rubber — which were an innovation at the time. At this point they've become an achilles heel, however, since they are no longer manufactured and must be carefully preserved. I do that with a coating of ArmorAll every so often and it's works quite well. I wear glasses, and the rubbers need to be folded over without breaking, but I don't like leaving them in a folded position.
Regards,
Ed

Just wrote my appraisal for the HR/5.... but not for the ED model:oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back