• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Audubon 8.5x44 Model 804 (5 Viewers)

No, can’t get away with that 😜. It’s nothing like the the NL, which has a larger FOV , larger sweep spot (almost the whole image circle) , and objects on the edge are more easily seen in the NL, o,distortion like the 804’s. It sounds like your describing the old vintage UWA bins, like rangemasters and Swift Holidays.

It was the premier birding binocular for decades. Didn’t you post something last week , I don’t recal if it was about the Vortex UHD or was it the Noctivids where you said you weigh the bins with all accessories because that’s the way they are carried. 38 oz is not light by any stretch of the binocular imagination 😉🙏🏼✌🏼. The 804R was the lighter one for its size. I believe the dating number is very unusual.

Are you saying these are new in the box , and your the only one that has used them a few times? Do you have the box, caps, strap, and all the original paperwork?
Yes, I have everything except there was no purchase receipt which would have the date of sale on it, unfortunately. I changed my mind on carrying accessories. I decided they were a hassle to use, and I don't use the objective covers and rain guards any more unless I am out in the bush, and I enjoy my binoculars a lot more without having to deal with them all the time.

The NL 8x42 has an AFOV of 69 degrees and the Swift 8x40 8.5x44 has an AFOV of 70 degrees. So the Swift actually has a larger AFOV and that is what gives you the wow and immersive feeling, not the FOV. True, the NL has sharper edges, but the Swift has much better stereopsis versus than the NL, whose FOV is flat as a pancake. It is like looking at a big pie plate versus the realistic 3D view of the Swift.

The NL because of the complex eyepiece necessary to get that huge FOV is more finicky for eye placement and if you don't get it just right you will get glare in the bottom of the FOV like I did. The Swift has a much easier and relaxed view, and it pans much better. The Swift view is more real than the NL. The NL is more clinical and more like looking at something under a microscope instead of through a binocular lens.

Buying this Swift Audubon 804 was a real eye opener for me. I didn't expect that much to tell you the truth, but when I looked through them for the first time, I couldn't believe it. Here is a 50-year-old binocular that has older coatings and a simple porro prism design, but yet it can STLL compete with the top modern roofs, and it is BETTER in some ways.

I can see why the Swift was a top selling binocular for 50 years. Sure there were roof prism binoculars later in the Swift's run, but people knew they could buy the Swift at 1/2 the price, and they were just as good. The porro prism is still a superior design, especially when you consider value.

You can take a high quality simple porro prism binocular with a big aperture like the Swift with just average coatings, and it will compete with the top modern roofs with all their technical wizardry, special coatings, high grade glass and high costs. I can't imagine how the Swift 804 would perform with the highest grade HD glass and modern coatings, with its 44 mm aperture. It would absolutely kill the NL and SF at 1/3 of the costs.

Last edited:
Yes, I have everything except there was no purchase receipt which would have the date of sale on it, unfortunately. I changed my mind on carrying accessories. I decided they were a hassle to use, and I don't use the objective covers and rain guards any more unless I am out in the bush, and I enjoy my binoculars a lot more without having to deal with them all the time.

The NL 8x42 has an AFOV of 69 degrees and the Swift 8x40 8.5x44 has an AFOV of 70 degrees. So the Swift actually has a larger AFOV and that is what gives you the wow and immersive feeling, not the FOV. True, the NL has sharper edges, but the Swift has much better stereopsis versus than the NL, whose FOV is flat as a pancake. It is like looking at a big pie plate versus the realistic 3D view of the Swift.

The NL because of the complex eyepiece necessary to get that huge FOV is more finicky for eye placement and if you don't get it just right you will get glare in the bottom of the FOV like I did. The Swift has a much easier and relaxed view, and it pans much better. The Swift view is more real than the NL. The NL is more clinical and more like looking at something under a microscope instead of through a binocular lens.

Buying this Swift Audubon 804 was a real eye opener for me. I didn't expect that much to tell you the truth, but when I looked through them for the first time, I couldn't believe it. Here is a 50-year-old binocular that has older coatings and a simple porro prism design, but yet it can STLL compete with the top modern roofs, and it is BETTER in some ways.

I can see why the Swift was a top selling binocular for 50 years. Sure there were roof prism binoculars later in the Swift's run, but people knew they could buy the Swift at 1/2 the price, and they were just as good. The porro prism is still a superior design, especially when you consider value.

You can take a high quality simple porro prism binocular with a big aperture like the Swift with just average coatings, and it will compete with the top modern roofs with all their technical wizardry, special coatings, high grade glass and high costs. I can't imagine how the the Swift 804 would perform with the highest grade HD glass and modern coatings, with it's 44 mm aperture. It would absolutely kill the NL and SF at 1/3 of the costs.
What you need to look at is Swift hr5 fully multicoated if you are lucky you may find an ED they are rare in the UK in fact mine is the only one I have seen but hr5 fully multicoated don't fetch too much on fleabay.And the armour will not drop off.

What you need to look at is Swift hr5 fully multicoated if you are lucky you may find an ED they are rare in the UK in fact mine is the only one I have seen but hr5 fully multicoated don't fetch too much on fleabay.And the armour will not drop off.
I might pick up a Swift HR5 if I see a good one. They are an excellent value for the money when you can get one for less than $300. The older binoculars are built so much better than the newer stuff and as you say the armor will not drop off like a Swarovski.

Dennis,
Since this is the ONLY example I've ever encountered of a Swift s/n that does not correspond with the date it was manufactured, I'd like to inquire about provenance. Who did you buy this specimen from? Was it a Japanese source, perhaps? Did you buy it on eBay?

Thanks,
Ed

So a Swift 8.5X44 820 non ED with serial # 0000763 would be made in what year?
Yes, the Model 820 Audubon first appeared in the 2000 catalog, and was specifically listed as a "new product."

The 820ED was also listed in the catalog as a new product with air-spaced objective lenses. Swift later confirmed that the objectives were not air-spaced, which accounts for why they were optically inferior to my 804ED.

Ed

Yes, the Model 820 Audubon first appeared in the 2000 catalog, and was specifically listed as a "new product."

The 820ED was also listed in the catalog as a new product with air-spaced objective lenses. Swift later confirmed that the objectives were not air-spaced, which accounts for why they were optically inferior to my 804ED.

Ed
Ed when you say 804 ED, your referring to the 804/HR5ED (pic 1 & 2 picture)?

There we’re two 820‘s that we’re produced , 4 if we want to count ED and non ED versions. I believe the 1st version (the one I have) in picture 3 and then what I believe to be the last of the Swift porros , the 820 , with a kind of NL bridge design with the focuser in the middle picture 4. The latter as a stronger improved 820 version.

I think somebody should scoop up Dennis’s 804 fast. I haven’t seen to many of that version, in that condition and with all its accessories. Good glass!

Paul

Attachments

• 846108EB-2646-4ED2-8682-C1881C7C2E9D.png
    846108EB-2646-4ED2-8682-C1881C7C2E9D.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 7E753B2B-DB61-4D5D-8229-46C511ED57CF.png
    7E753B2B-DB61-4D5D-8229-46C511ED57CF.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 368834B4-77CA-417C-81A4-7C3C09194E26.png
    368834B4-77CA-417C-81A4-7C3C09194E26.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 69CE717B-DEAC-46A4-9AC7-6328CFA9919C.png
    69CE717B-DEAC-46A4-9AC7-6328CFA9919C.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 27
Dennis,
Since this is the ONLY example I've ever encountered of a Swift s/n that does not correspond with the date it was manufactured, I'd like to inquire about provenance. Who did you buy this specimen from? Was it a Japanese source, perhaps? Did you buy it on eBay?

Thanks,
Ed
I bought it from a US seller on eBay. It says MIJ on it and appears authentic. Maybe it was at the end of the run for an 804 in 1998.

Last edited:
Ed when you say 804 ED, your referring to the 804/HR5ED (pic 1 & 2 picture)?

There we’re two 820‘s that we’re produced , 4 if we want to count ED and non ED versions. I believe the 1st version (the one I have) in picture 3 and then what I believe to be the last of the Swift porros , the 820 , with a kind of NL bridge design with the focuser in the middle picture 4. The latter as a stronger improved 820 version.

I think somebody should scoop up Dennis’s 804 fast. I haven’t seen to many of that version, in that condition and with all its accessories. Good glass!

Paul
Not selling, any time soon. I like it too much. Best binocular I ever bought for $300. A lot better than the new MIC stuff. I am going to start looking for these older porros. They are one heck of a bargain if you find a nice one.

The Swift Audubon 804 has 95% of the performance of an NL for 1/10 the the price. The only advantage the NL has is sharper edges. The AFOV is actually bigger in the Swifts, they handle glare better, they pan better, they have easier eye placement and are less finicky with an easier walk in view, have much better stereopsis and most importantly the armor doesn't fall off and crack.

The Swift's have been around for 50 years, and they still can kill the top modern roof prism made.

Last edited:
I do not think you could buy anything that ancient in the UK new in 1998 but who would bother to mess around like this is beyond my comprehension but then again you are in the USA.

Ed
At least they are more weatherproof.

I do not think you could buy anything that ancient in the UK new in 1998 but who would bother to mess around like this is beyond my comprehension but then again you are in the USA.
Now, now, ... that's what collecting is all about. And it wasn't new in 1998, but rather in 1978 ...

Yes, Dennis I'm sure of it because there were several small differences between the Type-2a (which you own) and Type-2b (which I own). Please note also that the eBay seller didn't know what he/she was talking about. What you have is obviously not "multi-coated," although the auction says so several times.

I had actually looked at that auction recently and chuckled about the multi-coating bit.

The two factoids that make it a Type-2a are:
1. The tripod attachment has a phillips-head retaining screw, which the Type 2-b does not.
2. A black case was supplied with the Type-2a, but a brown case with the Type2-b.

I'll attach pictures to show the difference in a while, and I'll have more to say about the wide-field aspects.
Ed

PS. I credit the serial number to be either an error made in 1978, or (less likely) a modification made later on. There is no way this binocular was made in the 1990s, except with spare parts from the past. 😛

Last edited:
No, can’t get away with that 😜. It’s nothing like the the NL, which has a larger FOV , larger sweep spot (almost the whole image circle) , and objects on the edge are more easily seen in the NL, o,distortion like the 804’s. It sounds like your describing the old vintage UWA bins, like rangemasters and Swift Holidays.
In 1978 the Swift Catalog emphasized the wide-angle aspects of the Model 804 8.5x44 Audubon and the Model 766 7x35 Holiday. If one REALLY wants a wide view, the 600ft@1000yd. Holiday provides a (600/52.4)x7 = 80.15 AVOV, and it weighs a whopping 3.5oz. less than the 804.
Type-2a 1978 Swift Catalog.jpg

Last edited:
To follow-up on comments in #38, this photo shows the difference between the 1981 Audubon and 1978 Holiday tripod attachments. Audubon vs Holiday tripod attachments.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back