• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

macro lens or extention tubes (1 Viewer)

eric s

I wondered you preference. I've read some John Shaw, and he (at the time of writing) leanded towards using tubes and between 105 & 200mm. I agree with his logic (lets you stay further away from the subject, thereby not disturbing it... among other things.)

One plus for macro lenses is that I keep hearing how great the optics are. This seems to be a common thread around them... to the point that I wonder if it has something to do with the demands of macro work that it must have it.

I just wondered what you (and others) thought.

Eric

This is mainly dependent on whether you are shooting on film or digital, but most lenses have higher resolution capabilities than the medium upon which you record the image.
I personally prefer extension tubes as they can be used on all lenses, I often use them with long lenses as they reduce the minimum focusing distance, for instance the min focus on my 600mm is 5.5 metres, with a 12mm extension tube this comes down to about 4.2 metres and with a 25mm tube its about 3.3 metres, particularly good for small birds or close head shots, you do lose the ability to focus to infinity when tubes are fitted though.
Macro lenses will (generally)give better edge of frame definition, but as most subjects occupy the central areas of frame and the surrounding area is often the out of focus background you will not really notice the difference unless you want to photograph very flat subjects in close-up.

I am getting quite confused with all this macro business (doesn't take much to confuse me).

Having just purchased the C750UZ, I've been going around photographing all manner of things close up in macro.

Can the macro mode be used in other instances, or am I misunderstanding this post entirely....?

Helen
a novice

I will happily use extension tubes with my 100-400mm lens in preference to using the 100mm macro. It helps blow out the background or keep a good working distance for sensitive or shy subjects.

When I am shooting close-up subjects I use macro lenses. When I am shooting subjects at a distance with longer telephoto lenses and I want a bigger image I add a converter or I move closer and add an extension tube.

My preference is to use macro lenses everytime especially when taking images up to 1/1 or lifesize. The reason I do so is simply because I want the best possible image available and that's what true macro lenses give me.

Canon manufacture three true macro lenses in focal lengths of 50mm, 100mm and 180mm and I carry all three. They are flat-field lenses, in other words ultra sharp from the centre to the edges. Their quality is amazing when used correctly.

So the answer to your question is that I use both macro lenses and extension tubes and what I use at any one time really depends on the subject and how I want to portray it in my picture.

Would I rather use a 100mm lens and an extension tube in preference to a 100mm macro?

You must be joking - No chance!

Thanks for your question. George Mccarthy

Last edited:
And thank you for your answer! (And for contributing here.)

You told me what I wanted to know, and a bit more.

Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back