• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which fish? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Spent some time down by a local river this afternoon and was very surprised to see a large fish cruising downstream, unfortunately couldn't get a picture
and didn't really see any particular pattern or colouration to it ~ to me it just looked like a bluddy great fish!!

I did get a very good view of it however as it practically swam right under my legs dangling over the edge of the bridge, it was at least 60 cm/24 inches in length and appeared an all over browny/green colour.

The part of the stream where I saw it swimming was only about two feet deep ~ probably more of a case of elimination rather than confirming a specific species? ..all I can say is it didn't look like a Pike.

Any ideas..for what it's worth I was sitting on the wooden bridge in the pic
(kinda sets the scene!)

Matt

Attachments

• buckenham%20etc%20182%20%28Custom%29.jpg
    buckenham%20etc%20182%20%28Custom%29.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Hi Matt

My OH has read this thread and thinks it depends on how close the river is to the sea. He loves fishing, so he is knowledgeable about fish in general

If it is well away from the sea it might be a Barbel (spell).

If the part or the river is close to the sea brackish water and it was a huge fish (5 foot) a Sturgeon comes to mind here.

I hope that this helps :t:

Last edited:
Hi Matt

My OH has read this thread and thinks it depends on how close the river is to the sea. He loves fishing, so he is knowledgeable about fish in general

If the river is close to the sea he thinks he might be a Barbel (spell).

If the river is not close to the sea a Sturgeon comes to mind here.

I hope that this helps :t:

Thanks Peewit

I'm about 40 odd miles to the east norfolk/suffolk coast, if only I had my camera ready I could have got quite a good pic!

Nice sighting though!

Matt

Last edited:
Just done a quick google image search and yes ..it looks very much like what I saw!

Matt,

Google Leuciscus cephalus and see what you find.

The creek chub is a little American fish, whereas "our" chub can reach the kind of size you mention, and is quite likely to be seen in small, shallow streams.

Your neck of the woods is a favourite for chub anglers.

Matt,

Google Leuciscus cephalus and see what you find.

The creek chub is a little American fish, whereas "our" chub can reach the kind of size you mention, and is quite likely to be seen in small, shallow streams.

Your neck of the woods is a favourite for chub anglers.

Thanks, Keith

Found the link below, certainly looks the part!

http://www.first-nature.com/fishes/leuciscus_cephalus.htm

The thought had also accured to me that it might have been something released from someones garden pond etc ..long shot but if I visit the site again and see another I'll try and get a pic.

Matt

I've seen large chub in rivers near me. Hard to tell from roach when small, but the size is a giveaway when large. I saw a really big one some months ago that still had quite a bit of red in its paired fins.

Here's a photo with a top view of a chub and a barbel.

image002.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back