• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron 200-500 & teleconverter (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

Hi,

I'm interested in knowing whether anyone can recommend a teleconverter for the Big-T to fit a Nikon D70s.
Does AF still work?
How does it effect focussing speed?
Is there much loss of quality?

Thanks in advance for any guidance folks can give.

Hi,

I'm interested in knowing whether anyone can recommend a teleconverter for the Big-T to fit a Nikon D70s.
Does AF still work?
How does it effect focussing speed?
Is there much loss of quality?

Thanks in advance for any guidance folks can give.

Hi Astrokev,
I have a Canon-mount Tamron, and I have rarely bothered to stick a Tc on it ... since this lens is f/6.3 at 500mm range (where I mostly use it), when you add a 1.4x Tc you lose one more light stop, which means that you lose AF with most entry-level and prosumer Canon cameras (unless you use the tape trick on the TC).
AF speed is quite reduced, it tends to hunt more and, what's worse, IQ suffers a lot, especially at 500mm ...
Perhaps on a Nikon system things are different, in any case I wouldn't suggest to use this combo

Cheers,

Max

Thanks Max. This is very helpful. Sounds like I may be better off sticking with the lens as it is. 500mm still has very good reach. I'll have to concentrate on improving my field craft to get closer to the birds!
Kev

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back