Alternative name: Madeiran Storm-Petrel
- Oceanodroma castro
- Sooty-brown plumage
- Narrow, rectangular, white rump patch
- Slightly forked tail
- Dark bill with tube on top.
 Similar Species
Breeds on the Azores and Madeira in the Atlantic, and the Galapagos Islands in the Pacific. Otherwise pelagic.
As treated here, this taxon is monotypic.
Cape Verde Storm Petrel and Monteiro's Storm Petrel have been split from this species recently.
Additionally, there may be two additional taxons waiting to be described.
Quick wing beats between glides on bowed wings.
It nests in colonies close to the sea in rock crevices and lays a single white egg. Nests are visited only at night.
The diet includes invertebrates, small vertebrates and sometimes carrion.
- Clements, JF. 2011. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to August 2011. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/downloadable-clements-checklist
- Collins Field Guide 5th Edition
- Collins Bird Guide ISBN 0 00 219728 6
 External Links