• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

Yes Sim, good numbers of Warblers in with a particularly obvious arrival of Common Whitethroat the last couple of days.

Very quiet on my stretch of coast this morning and with northerlies forecast for the next few days it may stay that way...

James

Some pictures for Penny, who had left the hide a short time before, moaning that the male was in the thick reeds and not showing!!

John

Attachments

• gargany (2 of 2) - Copy.jpg
    gargany (2 of 2) - Copy.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 135
  • gargany (1 of 2) - Copy.jpg
    gargany (1 of 2) - Copy.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 141
  • boys (2 of 2) - Copy.jpg
    boys (2 of 2) - Copy.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 129
  • boys (1 of 2) - Copy.jpg
    boys (1 of 2) - Copy.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Some pictures for Penny, who had left the hide a short time before moaning that the male was in the thick reeds and not showing!!

John
WOW!!!!!:t: Thanks John - stunning pictures. I would be over the moon if I had taken those! I did get a shot of both male and female sitting on the bank the other side of the dyke but not as good as your pictures!! I would have stayed longer the first time, BUT my non birdy youngest sister was getting cold and a bit bored! I went back again later but they were even further away up the dyke. I will be posting mine on my blog tomorrow evening. I have tons to sort through and add to my blog for the last few trips. I finish work earlier than normal this week as someone is on holiday which means I am doing the 'early' starts which be excellent for birding or sorting photos!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
This is citrin(a), too !

In what was superb timing, I managed to miss The Waggie by a quarter of an hour. Frustratingly, I was able to log its continued presence on the internet from the 1st class lounge at Schiphol and could not have been driven back from Norwich Airport any sooner.

However, here is a bird with almost the same name, yellow and black head and white outer tail feathers from my trip to TX.

My eyes are still hooded from the effects of jet-lag.
Nice to see you today John - you did look a little spaced out though!!!;)

Last edited:
Kelling Water Meadows and Cley

3 Yellow Wagtails at Kelling Water Meadows. Pair of Gargeney in front of Daukes' Hide, Cley NWT.

See blog for full update.

Pictures to be added to blog etc tomorrow now, very tired and all birded out!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
3 Common Terns, 3 Turtle Doves, 1 male Cuckoo and 1 Common Sandpiper at Denver Sluice - a solid couple of hours this morning.

Also good numbers of warblers - is anybody else noticing this? More than last year I'd say; at least 20 Whitethroats holding territory, and 7 Lesser Whitethroats now too.

There seemed to be a big arrival of Common Whitethroats last Friday. Snettisham Country Park was heaving in them.

I wonder if there are more Grasshopper Warblers along the coastline too. Holme thought it had 10+ yesterday and my son and I had a lovely view of one reeling away.

We sat at Brancaster Staithe for a yummy sea-food baguette watching Little Terns diving down into the harbour for their lunch too!

Sue

Attachments

• Grasshopper-Warbler-(1)-Hol.jpg
    Grasshopper-Warbler-(1)-Hol.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 79
Bit of Broads birding yesterday. Common Terns all over the place at Ranworth and Barton, but no Black left, passage over for the time being.
Find of the day was not a bird but a reserve, Upton Fen NWT. Real gem this one, imagine Hickling but smaller. We enjoyed a Barn Owl hunting at close range (midday by the way), a pair of Marsh Harrier and 2 Hobby, good views of one bird flycatching mid-air. The grazing marshes look good for raptors year round, and the reed bed I would expect to hold the usual species and who knows what else. Definately a return visit in order!
Cheers,
Jim.

Long Stratton area 26/04/11

Decided to keep the birding local today as I had spent far too much time in the car this weekend due mostly to heavy Easter traffic .
Was a very pleasant morning locally and the sun eventually burnt off the early cloud cover. Found a late Fieldfare, a Sand Martin with 25 House Martins and 3 Grey Wagtails at a local STW. One of the Wagtails, a male, was collecting food so its good to know that there's local breeding going on for another year. A Little Egret perched in a tree over the River Tas on the Rainthorpe Estate was a pleasing sighting. Its taken a while for them to get here but there'e probably about half a dozen in this area now. A few Lesser Whitethroats were singing but are down on this time last year. Hopefully there's still some more that have yet to arrive. Finally a beetle Silpha atrata was a new one for me. SB.

Bit of Broads birding yesterday. Common Terns all over the place at Ranworth and Barton, but no Black left, passage over for the time being.
Find of the day was not a bird but a reserve, Upton Fen NWT. Real gem this one, imagine Hickling but smaller. We enjoyed a Barn Owl hunting at close range (midday by the way), a pair of Marsh Harrier and 2 Hobby, good views of one bird flycatching mid-air. The grazing marshes look good for raptors year round, and the reed bed I would expect to hold the usual species and who knows what else. Definately a return visit in order!
Cheers,
Jim.

Find your own local patch: this one's MINE! LOL!
Fantastic for White Admirals & Swallowtails!

Took my brother for a stroll down the Wensum just outside Fakenham yesterday and was pleased to stumble upon a Little Egret and a couple of Marsh Tits not for from the water mill, but was slightly perplexed by the male Smew found swimming downstream. Is there any chance this is a straggler or a young bird or is my presumption that it's escaped from somewhere too likely to be ignored?

David

The smew is probably one of the free winged birds from Pensthorpe a few miles downstream of Fakenham. I frequently see a female on the same streach of river.

More pictures of Citrine Wagtail to be added to my blog on Wednesday evening. But here's one for now.

White-spotted Bluethroat at Welney WWT also on same day:

Rest of Citrine Wagtail pictures now added to blog.

Attachments

• IMG_8536-web.jpg
    IMG_8536-web.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_8042-web.jpg
    IMG_8042-web.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Think that's the best photo of that bird I've seen Penny, nice one!

Any idea where the Savi's warbler reported by RBA is? It's my last day in Norfolk before I go back to uni (and finals :-C )...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back