• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (53 Viewers)

The reported Tundra Peregrine was initially seen and photographed on April 7th at Burnham Norton by myself. It is an immature bird but has very white sparsely streaked underparts, quite brown upperparts, a very weak 'broken' moustache and a very pale head. Suspecting that it might be something of either Russian or North American 'tundra' origins the photographs were sent to Richard Millington who thought it looked good for one of these 'forms'. Coincidentally my sighting was on the day he had just published an article on the probablity of such birds occuring in Britain. However there were then no more sightings and it was assumed the bird was just passing through and had gone, until about a week and half ago when a strange looking Peregrine, with a description that matched my photos was seen by 2 respected and competant observers in the Stiffkey area. Again no more sightings until yesterday afternoon when it was seen over the marshes at Burnham Overy by my fellow summer warden at Holkham NNR - so it does appear to be still about and it is worth a look, although it seems to be very elusive. In the meantime Dick Forsman has seen the pics and thinks it looks the part and there should be pics and notes in the next issue of Birding World.

Andy Bloomfield

Thanks for that

Got battered on the coast today, and not in a good way. Strong easterlies seemed to limit my chances of finding migrants, despite a good trawl round Happisburgh and Eccles. Highlight was 3 Lesser Whitethroat at Eccles, and that really was it.
Thinking maybe my strategy was all wrong, I changed tactics. Perhaps the winds were forcing some birds to hunker down and others simply passed through and headed inland. Good move it seemed. Rush Hill Scrape at Hickling did have some good birds. 3 Woodsandpiper fed on the far side, and 4 Greenshank thankfully showed just in front of the hide. There were around 8 smart-ish looking Ruff present, along with 2 Avocet and a Redshank. Best bird of the day was picked up more distantly, heading west over Hickling. A Buzzard with a large proportion of white on the rump was being harrassed by 2 crows. A better view allowed me to see a very pale underwing, but dark carpal patches. Happy with that as a Rough-legged, and chuffed I was too.
Cheers,
Jim.

I started at West Runton twice today- but only once, really

After Ian’s superb Dott spot this morning, he repeated the feat this afternoon; albeit in a more modest fashion.

Vainly searching the ploughed field for the Dotterel, we could see several Wheatears and then he found a male Redstart, being flushed along the path across the fields by dog-walkers.

I managed to get reasonably close, but had to balance on the barbed wire (!)-although the sun and wind were not in the best positions.

The RH shot, slightly out of focus, is a nice combination of species.

Attachments

• 208sm.jpg
    208sm.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 214sm.jpg
    214sm.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Well done with your lagopus Jim; just reward. Just back from Rush Hill myself and the 3 Wood Sandpipers were still present along with 2 Greenshank, 7 Ruff (4 males) and 4 Avocet. A male Yellow Wagtail provided a splash of colour...

James

Well done with your lagopus Jim; just reward. Just back from Rush Hill myself and the 3 Wood Sandpipers were still present along with 2 Greenshank, 7 Ruff (4 males) and 4 Avocet. A male Yellow Wagtail provided a splash of colour...

James

Thanks James.
Forgot to mention probable Swift over Whimpwell Green, Happisburgh, but I was not in a position to stop the car! Also saw a Chinese Water Deer milling about in a field south of the Coast Watch.
Good numbers of Wood Sandpiper around the country today, I'll be checking the patch later.
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
Wryneck and wood sands

Wryneck in gardens along the coast road in Cley. "Crippling views", standing next to Julian Bhalerao.

Wood sandpipers and a common sandpiper on Kelling Water Meadows.
Record shot of all three. Common sand head down feeding

Attachments

• Wryneck.JPG
    Wryneck.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Wood and Common Sands Kelling WM.jpg
    Wood and Common Sands Kelling WM.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Wryneck at Cley

Thank you to everyone who visited our garden today to see wonderful views of the Wryneck and later on, of the female Pied Flycatcher. What a day! And thank you all for your donations, we made just over £45 to go to the Norfolk Air Ambulance. Here's to the next one....

Hi all,
Last weekend a Shrike was photographed at Strumpshaw Fen. The only information available was that a few photographers agreed that it was indeed a shrike but did not id it to species. Unfortunately thats all the info available so this is a plea for any more information, did anyone see the Shrike, the photograph of the shrike or talk to anyone that did see it? Would be great to be able to put more than shrike sp. into our records/bird report etc. Even better would be a photograph of the shrike.
PS 2-3 Swallowtails were seen today at the Fen, very early!

Many thanks

Hi all,
Last weekend a Shrike was photographed at Strumpshaw Fen. The only information available was that a few photographers agreed that it was indeed a shrike but did not id it to species. Unfortunately thats all the info available so this is a plea for any more information, did anyone see the Shrike, the photograph of the shrike or talk to anyone that did see it? Would be great to be able to put more than shrike sp. into our records/bird report etc. Even better would be a photograph of the shrike.
PS 2-3 Swallowtails were seen today at the Fen, very early!

Many thanks

There's also been a couple of recent reports from Strumpshaw of a red backed, black masked species that isn't a Shrike. Just a thought... |=)|

Is anyone seeing Swifts yet? I saw my first today at Mundesley...

James

There's also been a couple of recent reports from Strumpshaw of a red backed, black masked species that isn't a Shrike. Just a thought... |=)|

James

Thats exactly the reason I wanted to know if anyone on here saw the bird, last year a photographer got a shot of a male 'red backed shrike' on a reed mace head, just wondering if the same thing has happened again.

20+ Swifts over the Fen today all passing up river.

James

Saw about 30 swifts at strumpshaw today also couple of hobbys.

20+ Swifts over the Fen today all passing up river.
I went to Wheatfen today and ended up at the river, opposite the Lackford Run at Strumpshaw. I noticed quite a few Swifts over the river. I am looking forward to seeing the first ones over Gorleston in the next few days.

Ron

Last edited:
Sunday

Nice Pied Flycatcher today at Cley - thanks Sue and Steve!

See blog for full update.

All photos now added to previous posts on blog.

My mother had lots of Swifts at Holme Marsh Reserve last night. I have not seen any yet!

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Excellent morning at Surlingham today. Greenshank on the lagoon was a patch tick, as were 2 Whimbrel flying north towards Strumpshaw. No sign of the LRP though, bit worrying. The pair of Lapwing do seem to have settled and are presumably nesting. Over at Wood's End, a pair of Oystercatcher dropped in.
Marsh Harrier hunting again, good views of this bird. Garden Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat were new birds in the scrub, and 2 Groppers reeling were unwilling to give themselves up.
Couple of House Martin on Ferry Road, and a Skylark singing in a field north of the reserve were also new for the year.
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
Titchwell May 2nd

Today’s highlights

Garganey – pair on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 4 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – drake in reedbed
Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 3 on fresh marsh

Will this wind ever drop again!!!

Paul

A Waveney Bird Club walk along Breydon South Wall today produced nringtail Hen Harrier, 11 Whimbrel, Swift and 10 Wheatears on/over the marshes. Several hundred Bar-tailed Godwits, around 50 Greenshanks, 3 Spotted Redshanks and a Common Sandpiper on Breydon Water and a hybrid Carrion X Hooded Crow at Burgh Castle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back