• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (8 Viewers)

The River Rea Kingfisher went past silent this morning.
In my back garden I got the right bird food and a Nuthatch has been visiting the feeder all day long.
Great!

Kings Norton Nature Reserve Rea Valley
2 Kingfishers perched on the railings from the outflow pool below Wychall Res. Perfect views

This afternoon a Kingfisher was just down from Wychall Res on the River Rea. It was perched on the weir on the river.
The Bourn Brook Kingfisher was on the upper part of the brook. It gave a few calls.
There have also been a couple of Heron after the fish, Grey Wagtails on most visits and around 50 Sparrows gathering late afternoon on the electricity pylons.
First thing this morning the River Rea Kingfisher was perched on the new flood defence wall. It dived in the river and caught a good size fish. It then flew off. I got a photo but the light was poor.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/36029194813/in/dateposted-public/
Great!

Last edited:
Again off patch - Kingfisher low across the lake at NT Dudmaston yesterday lunchtime.

Lovely spot, that. Apart from the idiot dog owner who insisted she was ok with her two noisy and excitable dogs off their leads in a field with a herd of 20+ skittish and understandably frightened cows.

This morning the usual Kingfisher on the River Rea and then a brief and surprise sighting of a Kingfisher at Manor Farm Park on the brook down the back. Great!

This morning I could not help myself and made a quick stop by the River Rea flood defence. I then heard the distinctive call in the distance and less than a minute later the Kingfisher flew up the river. Great!

Upper Bittell Reservoir - 7pm - Kingfisher along the bottom of the dam. Flew off as I got close but circled around and landed back on the dam. Calling, and being answered from the woods along the outflow channel.

Upper Bittell Reservoir - 7pm - Kingfisher along the bottom of the dam. Flew off as I got close but circled around and landed back on the dam. Calling, and being answered from the woods along the outflow channel.

Great Rob. Seen one there a few times myself and heard them calling!

Kings Norton Nature Reserve Rea Valley
2 Kingfishers perched on the railings from the outflow pool below Wychall Res. Perfect views

Yesterday a Kingfisher just along from the outflow pool. Then there was another Kingfisher spotter by the outflow pool! Lol! At first I saw her looking about and then she told me she was looking for a Kingfisher! She usually saw it four times a week about five o'clock on the railings of the outflow pool. She had shown it to her friend who had never seen a Kingfisher before. Great lol!

In the early morning light a Kingfisher flying along and calling on the River Tame under Spaghetti Junction. Then another coming the opposite direction as I made my way back over the bridge.
At Stechford fishing lake, I just saw a Kingfisher flying down the back of the lake, then again as I made my way back, one went under the bridge calling.
Seeing as it was sunny I tried the Kingfisher CP and could just see a Kingfisher over the River Cole, Shard End on a tree perch in the sunlight.
Then I checked out the usual River Rea Flood Defence and the Kingfisher went past a Little Egret.
Great!

The usual Kingfisher flew past the River Rea flood defence calling, it did a little shimmy past a fallen branch in the river. It flies very close to the water surface. Although I've seen it do it before, every time it's impressive.
Then on my way back I thought I'd stop and look over a bridge over the Bourn Brook.
I have not looked over that bridge this year, maybe I did last year.
I did not expect anything but was pretty amazed when I heard the call of a Kingfisher.
It was just down from the bridge so I could not see it.
Then it called again and I could tell from the call if was flying off and down the brook.
So I went down to the new Dentist Hospital and took a look at the brook from there.
Sure enough there was the Kingfisher on a perch.
I think this was one of the Kingfisher that was further up the brook during summer.
If not great to find one in another location!
Great!

Last edited:
I stopped by the River Rea flood defence this afternoon. Within a few minutes a Kingfisher flew in and landed on the scaffolding. It had a look at the water which was fast flowing due to the rain. It then flew off. Great!

Four Kingfisher today!
The first one on the River Cole, Stetchford fishing lake. The Kingfisher went past me and all the way round an island only to end up in a tree right opposite me. How bonkers!
The next one was on the River Cole at Sarehole. It was only a quick stop and there it was.
The next one was at Woodbrooke. I don't think I have visited there this year. The lake had so many fish. What a lucky Kingfisher!
The last one was surprisingly on the Birmingham & Fazeley canal instead of the usual River Cole under Spaghetti Junction. Great!

Great to have found a new Kingfisher location and a vocal one as well at the Dental Hospital.
I could hear it calling. It was making the tutting noise as well. Maybe defending it's territory?
There were a good number of fish as well. I can see why this is a good Kingfisher location. The fish can be clearly seen against the brick lined Brook. Then the Kingfisher flew past. Great!

A good day for Kingfisher;
1) A Kingfisher on the River Tame under Spaghetti Junction early morning. It was still pretty dark so I couldn't see it. I heard it fly past calling.
2) A Kingfisher on the Canal/River Rea, Fazeley St early morning. Lucky to make a quick stop and find one here.
Then a mid day run along the River Rea;
3) The usual Kingfisher by the flood defence. I could see the fish in the Rea from the bridge.
4) A quick look up the Bourn Brook from the bridge on Pershore Road, I saw a Kingfisher fly from it's perch. Funny enough by more flood defence work.
5) Then down the Rea at the back of Cannon Hill Park, I heard a Kingfisher calling loudly and saw it stop in a tree. Never seen one on this stretch before.
Great!

Last edited:
Great back garden news! Well my roof actually, this morning a Heron landed on my roof!
I have been waiting for one. It sat there for a couple minutes. It was tempted by my pond.
A couple crows tried to mob it but it ignored them.
Then it flew off, crows chasing.
Great!

LOWER BITTELL.SUNDAY .6.30 pm
Standing in middle of road looking through tiny gap in hedge at the 4 white posts.....just about to go and a king landed on one.....had to change to man focus and as I got the post in view the King went....lol
It had gone to the rails around the overflow and same thing happened as it went to tree to the right.....dived and then on to the big tree stump then to the trees just before the reeds where it kept diving and hiding in the trees.....finally it went up into the tree on its own and got a dark shot.....phew....by now it was dark and raining.

Attachments

• kkk 222.jpg
    kkk 222.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 53
  • kkk.jpg
    kkk.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
LOWER BITTELL.SUNDAY .6.30 pm
Standing in middle of road looking through tiny gap in hedge at the 4 white posts.....just about to go and a king landed on one.....had to change to man focus and as I got the post in view the King went....lol
It had gone to the rails around the overflow and same thing happened as it went to tree to the right.....dived and then on to the big tree stump then to the trees just before the reeds where it kept diving and hiding in the trees.....finally it went up into the tree on its own and got a dark shot.....phew....by now it was dark and raining.

Nice one Keith! It's always great to hear Kingfisher news!
(I had to laugh as the same thing happened to me at Bittell. One minute it was there next gone! Lol!)
Some local Kingfisher news which I read with great interest;
When: 09 Sep 2017
Where: Billesley Common (SP0880)
Who: Jenny Renowden
What: Kingfisher (1)
I of course had to go and check it out.
I discovered the Haunch Brook and Billesley Common so I must thank Jenny and BTO.
All these brooks, it's great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back