• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to get hummingbirds out of the garage? (1 Viewer)

PumaMan

United States
In the last week I've had three hummingbirds fly into the garage and they can't seem to find the exit themselves. They fly along the ceiling until they're too tired to fly and then they light on something. They can't seem to "see" the wide-open two-car garage door with the blazing sunlight coming in. I've tried waiting (for up to a half-day) and they still can't find the open door. The only way I've been able to get them out is to chase them till they tire out so much that I can catch them with my hands. But this seems cruel. There has to be a better way . . .

We have this problem occasionally and have discovered that our best solution is to use a fan rake, when they get tired, they will land on the rake. We then
slowly lower the rake and slowly walk to the opening.......they do the rest.
This might take several tries, but it has almost always worked.
We also make sure to get rid of any cobwebs on the ceiling as they get onto their wings and that tends to be a real problem for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back