• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help doves nest on top of garage door opener. (1 Viewer)

TrishS

United States
A few weeks ago I noticed two doves building a nest on our garage door opener inside the garage. I tried to discourage them at first, but they kept returning. A few days later their nest was complete and I didn't have the heart to move it. Last week I noticed two eggs in the nest. I'm so worried that once they hatch and start to move around they're going to fall out. Our opener is pretty high up and they’re gonna land on hard concrete and/or my car on the way down. I want to put some sort of protection up to catch them on their way down, but I don't know what? Ive searched everywhere online looking for answers but can't find anything. I was thinking of some sort of netting but I don't want them to get stuck on it.🥹 I'm hoping someone here might have a suggestion. Thank you so much!

Welcome to Birdforum.

I think netting is not a good idea as they could become trapped. It is likely they will fledge without any problems.

Hi there Trish and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hi Trish and a warm welcome from me too. Birds very rarely hurt themselves when they leave the nest, they seem to parachute down and really weigh very little. The biggest danger for them comes from cats really.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

You're welcome Trish.

Please let us know how the fledging progresses.

I want to put some sort of protection up to catch them on their way down, but I don't know what?
You might see if you could get something with a gentle curve mounted up underneath them like an old wok or round plastic snow sled, then put an old towel or something to help cushion their fall, and mount it as high as possible to reduce the distance before impact.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back