• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured Stock Dove/Small Pigeon Advice (2 Viewers)

Shelflyfe

United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I live in North Wales UK and am new to the forum. Apologies if this isn't the right place for this kind of post but I've tried to find the area that fits best.
Yesterday morning a small pigeon (I think it is a stock dove) hit one of our windows. The bird was a bit dazed for a few hours but started moving round the garden after resting a while.
Towards the afternoon yesterday the bird was eating and moving around/very active, and it has been able to fly/hop up on to short boxes and onto a ledge at the front of our summer house, but doesn't seem able to fully take off and fly.
I called the rspca and they suggested taking them to a local rescue, but I've spoken to the local rescues and they won't take them because of avian flu, and when I spoke to the local vet they advised we could bring the bird in but all they would do is put the bird down.

I've put feed and water out for them. The bird won't let me get too close to them and I don't want to try to catch them unless it is absolutely necessary because I don't want to cause unnecessary stress, and our garden is very safe (8ft fences/walls and no cats or predators around).
The bird is preening and eating, and seems very alert. And it keeps walking round, stretching wings and shaking themselves. Overnight last night it slept on the porch of our summer house and is active again today, but while the bird is moving its wings and doesn't appear to be in pain (is not puffed up or looking tired, and wings aren't dropped, etc).

We are happy for the bird to take shelter in the summer house as and when it wants to, and I wonder if maybe it might just need a bit more time to rest, but wonder if anyone who has knowledge has advice or knowledge about what might be wrong and what I can do to help.

Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum.

It sounds as though you are doing all the right things. It could be that she’s feeling a bit bruised and needs time to rest and recover.

Welcome to Birdforum.

It sounds as though you are doing all the right things. It could be that she’s feeling a bit bruised and needs time to rest and recover.
Thank you Kits. When she looks so alert and is moving etc it just seemed so cruel the thought of putting her down. Hopefully after another day or so she might be strong enough to fly away but in the meantime I just want to make sure she has everything she needs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back