• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 - Nikon EDG or ?? (1 Viewer)

DHB

For the folks who have compared the current 8x32 EDG with other premium 8x32's.

Thoughts?

At $999 and a free D3000 Kit it seems almost a no brainer if you have a need for a premium 8x32.

Although not the best nowadays I still like the Trinovid 8x32, 2nd best was the Swaro EL 8x32 and the 8x32 Nikon HG.

Dave

I have a set of EDG 8x32 from EO and I'm currently lightly using them. I should write something up in the next week though a bad back is slowing me down.

Initial Opinion: they are better than I expected (which is both good and interesting ... I thought I was getting jaded with bins). They are big (long) for an 8x32.

For the folks who have compared the current 8x32 EDG with other premium 8x32's.

Thoughts?

At $999 and a free D3000 Kit it seems almost a no brainer if you have a need for a premium 8x32.

Although not the best nowadays I still like the Trinovid 8x32, 2nd best was the Swaro EL 8x32 and the 8x32 Nikon HG.

Dave

Dave:

This deal has been pointed out for a while, and I agree with you, a great value!

As the Brits would say, the EDG is one fine piece of kit.

Jerry

I can strongly recommend the Zeiss FL 8x32. They are the best 32mm I have tried. Small, light weight, amazing optics and a lovely smooth and fast focuser. But bins are personal so try it first.

As the Brits would say, the EDG is one fine piece of kit.

Jerry

Jerry

It may well be a fine piece of kit, but i wont be paying £1700 for an EDG 10x42, when the HG's first come out here the price was over inflated back then, now they are a fraction of that.

I will be waiting for an ex-demo or second hand one, which wont be long they never are, of course thats assuming they are as good as they are supposed to be ;)

Jerry

It may well be a fine piece of kit, but i wont be paying £1700 for an EDG 10x42, when the HG's first come out here the price was over inflated back then, now they are a fraction of that.

I will be waiting for an ex-demo or second hand one, which wont be long they never are, of course thats assuming they are as good as they are supposed to be ;)

Yes, you are right, the deals to be had right now are in the USA, with the
closeout model.

Jerry

I've seen the 8x32 EDG a couple of times in a store. I was more interested in other binoculars on those occasions so I didn't examine it closely. I can second Kevin's comment about it's length which is only about 5mm shorter than the 8x42. The two are so close in size that I pulled the 8x32 from a display case thinking it was the 8x42.

The focal lengths of the objectives must be quite close. The 32mm is very long for a 32 and the 42mm is short for a 42. A short focal length objective on the 42 would allow for a wider FOV compared to the old 8x42 LX-L by reducing the size of the aerial image at the objective focal plane. I wouldn't be surprised if the prisms and eyepiece fieldstops are the same size on both the 42mm and 32mm with the 32 employing a slightly shorter FL objective combined with a slightly shorter FL eyepiece to arrive at the same 8X magnification with a little wider FOV. The long FL objective of the 32mm could make for some pretty nice optics.

I've seen the 8x32 EDG a couple of times in a store. I was more interested in other binoculars on those occasions so I didn't examine it closely. I can second Kevin's comment about it's length which is only about 5mm shorter than the 8x42. The two are so close in size that I pulled the 8x32 from a display case thinking it was the 8x42.

I'll post a photo comparing the SE, EDG 8x32, Meopta 8x32, Zeiss 8x32FL, Zen Ray 7x36 so you get a feel for the size. The EDG 8x32 is closest in size to the Zen Ray 7x36 (which as SteveC said a year ago is close in size to a "regular" 8x42).

It's not light at 24oz either (the other 32mm are in the < 20oz range). About the same as the SE.

The objectives are quite a way up the tube and the lens caps add more length. Perhaps 15mm or more(!). I suspect they're narrowing down the stray light cone.

The 8x32 EDG is a positive focuser bin which slightly surprised me. I've been noticing a correlation between more "light around the exit pupil" and positive focusers. I suspect that accounts for some of the extra length.

I'm impression of the view is very SE like. I went out with just the EDG on their own looking at common birds in our local P-Patch. Very nice views of the birds. High contrast. A pleasingly neutral (but perhaps just a little warm) view.

Of course I could be suffering from "Dennis' syndrome" so I went back in and took the SE (505xxx), Meopta (smallest), Zeiss (non-lotutec) and EDG (serial lot of zeros and 37 ... so it's an early one) to the P-Patch.

Size: Meopta (smallest) < Zeiss (oversized barrels like the Pentax SP) < EDG (similar barrel diameter to Zeiss but longer barrels).

Weight: Meopta ~ Zeiss < EDG <~ SE

After watching the same sets of House Sparrows and a juvi Starling (very subtle color) side lit in a pine with 4pm sun I concluded that the EDG and SE were closest in views followed by the Meopta.

I suspect contrast is driving this on: EDG ~ SE > FL > Meopta

The chestnut heads on the male House Sparrows were really beautiful. I suspect the red bias plays a part here. An Anne's Hummingbird at close range showed it's iridescence very nicely. A juvi American Robin and juvi Starling also provided some interesting color views. A very nice overall view.

Color correction is very good but perhaps not perfect (twigs against brightly lit clouds ... a worst case) but I didn't notice lateral or longitudinal CA in normal use. A little different from the SE where lateral CA is more apparent and dependent (of course) on eye placement.

Color bias: EDG ~ SE (slightly warm) > Meopta (neutral) > FL (slightly cool)

The Meoptas are wider FOV with the others hitting the "400 foot" barrier (I think tht's why 7.7 to 7.8 degrees is so popular ... spec hunters driving the design).

FOV: Meopta > EDG ~ FL > SE

The oculars are larger in the EDG than the other bins: a trend for wider FOV, larger ER bins I think to enable eyeglass wearers to see the whole field. It was easier in the EDG than the Zeiss.

Edge sharpness is very like the SE: flat field at the edge but some astigmatism. So that might be a notch below the Swaro SV (which I've not tried).

Edge sharpness: EDG ~ SE > Meopta > FL

EDG versus SE: very similar. That surprised me but it seems to be true. Both about as sharp at the edge of field in the same way. Less CA in EDG. Contrast about the same. EDG has a slightly wider field. The SE have the "porro illusion" ;) of slightly less magnification. The EDG is waterproof and perhaps a bit more rugged (given Pete Dunne's throwing tests). It costs more too.

EDG versus FL: EDG had better contrast and color bias was more warm. The FL being the cooler and perhaps slightly less contrasty. The EDG are sharper at the edge but I'm not sure how much that improves the view (it might be subliminal but I don't really look at the edge). FL are "fat" 32mm bins (the barrels are more 35mm barrels). The EDG seem more like "tall" bins.

EDG versus Meopta: EDG had better contrast and color bias was just slight more warm. The Meopta is missing that "ED sharpness" but otherwise if well corrected for lateral CA (and not bad for lognitudinal CA). The EDG dawrfs the Meopta in size. They look like they're in different size classes. I'd rather take the Meopta on a business trip than the EDGs. The contrast in the Meoptas are a bit more dependent on where you point them (i.e. out of field stray light is an issue sometimes) and slightly less contrasty overall. The EDG are sharper at the edge though the Meoptas are no slouch. In use you wouldn't know the difference. The Meopta's FOV is bigger and it feels like it is too .

Focuser is half turn rotation from 3m/10feet to infinity (my birding range). This might seem too fast but the focuser speed is very nicely damped and very smooth. I had no problems with missing/overshooting the focus -- I would just land in the right place. Rather better than the slightly stiffer and less consistent Zeiss and the stiffer but similar rate Meopta. A better feel than the SE (faster and wider knob). Of all the focusers I've used this might be the best combo of rate, speed and smoothness I've tried. It might not please all people.

The bin was shipped in the "diopter setting position" (so people would find it, I expect). Of course, it spins in a friction free manner. The out of the box experience was "yikes, this is fast" followed by "crap this is broken it's not focusing". Then I remember the reviews with people commenting about the spinning focuser. It pops up and disengages from the mechanism to reveal a smaller metal knob underneath that sets the diopter offset. Pushing the main focuser knob home reengages it though there is a position where it looks like it's home but isn't quite and spins. I didn't have it "go into neutral" when I was birding but that's only been perhaps 90 minutes total use.

ER with my close fitting glasses is OK. In the left eye (I see the whole field) but in my more astigmatic eye (another -2.0D of correction) it's just a little dim and more clearly near the edge of blackout. I suspect for most glasses wearers this will be fine (though close fitting and higher myopes might have more of an issue). This is is similar to the other bins in this group for me.

The eyecups have unevenly set stops: there is locked fully in, then three stops that are a distance away from that. So no glasses users have more choices. I would have preferred something more like Zeiss's stay put at any distance (I use the Zeiss with an extra couple of mm on the eyecup of the right eye) as there are too many variables for eyeglass wearers these days.

Objective eyecups are the flip down type Nikon seem to be into today. They lock solidly and much to my surprise they didn't get in the way. More too my surprise (and annoyance) one fell off in the field which I didn't notice until I got home. Retracing my steps I found it on my walk. It's just press fit into place. So you can remove them if you don't like them (and that might save a little weight).

Rain guard is the "over engineered" ABS (hard plastic) EDG rain guard I've commented on before. It is a bit clanky when off the eyecups. It has an IPD lock that works well (better than the IPD setting of the bins) and a locking mechanism on the eyecups that sort of works but doesn't hold it solidly in place. Which is a shame as the objetive covers will stay put in a daysack without an extra bag. I can see this being an acquired taste.

Body finish is "shiny metal" rather than the matt (unfinished or semi-finished) Mg bodies I've seen before like the Bushnell Elite. Also like the Bushnell Elite the rubber coating (I wouldn't call it armor) is just applied on the outer sides of the barrels. Not too sure how cold weather hunters or birders would like that (though they are supposed to be wearing gloves). The coating has a slightly sticky, high friction feel to it. It feels secure.

The ergonomics of the enclosure is not actually as good as the Chinese ED enclosure (surprising but true). The flat facets of the design don't fit my fingers as well as the swoopy bits of metal in the Chinese design. But I found the bin comfortable to hold and easy to reach the focuser with both hands. I don't think I every touched the "objective" end of the bridge so taking that out in the update doesn't actually add to the ergos (though it reduces the weight).

Initially I though I might just try them out and probably send them back (I don't really need another pair of bins ... and EO does have a good return policy) but after using them for a bit they do seem rather nice. If a bit long.

So they've passed the first two parts of my evaluation: they looked OK out of the box and they look OK a couple of days later too. Next evaluation point is in about a week ... will they still be as good to me?

Kevin:

Very good post and I do want to reply, mostly to give my opinion in general on the EDG,
as I have had the 10x42 for a year now.

You have given a very nice comparison, and first off I did like to hear that you think the
8x32 EDG seems much like the 8x32 SE. Now for those here in the know, that is a large
compliment all by itself.

Some things that may be important here, and that is for some who are thinking about making a purchase here in the US. The deal where a DSLR 3000 camera included with
the purchase of the EDG makes this a very great value.

You referred to a couple of things that need to be pointed out on the EDG. The early models, had a hard plastic ocular cover, and later models have a rubber one. The other
change was the focuser, diopter knob was improved with a better more secure design. These things were well discussed in previous Nikon theads.

As far as the armor on the EDG, I find it to be a very nice and it covers most all of the body,
much like the Swaro. EL, with only the inside frame, a pleasing matte, black. For me, Nikon
does a very nice job with armor, as I like the nice textured finish.

Focus speed and focuser, it seems the 8x32 has a quite fast focus, maybe like the LXL, but I find in the 10x42 it takes almost one full turn to go from 8 ft. to infinity, so that means the 8x and 10x are at a bit slower pace, and for me that is a good thing. I do really like the
Nikon focus and find it the smoothest of anything I have tried.

Now Kevin, I do have to ask, if you return this one to EO, do you get to keep the D3000?

Jerry

Kevin:

Very good post and I do want to reply, mostly to give my opinion in general on the EDG, as I have had the 10x42 for a year now.

You have given a very nice comparison, and first off I did like to hear that you think the
8x32 EDG seems much like the 8x32 SE. Now for those here in the know, that is a large
compliment all by itself.

Thanks for the compliment. I think you are the only other EDG owner around here. BTW, do you have or have you ever used a 10x42 SE?

I thought for a day before posting this because my post above and a comment like "EDG view looks like an SE" can sound a bit like "Best. Bin. Ever." new bin-itis posts. But it's the closest comparison I can find.

Some things that may be important here, and that is for some who are thinking about making a purchase here in the US. The deal where a DSLR 3000 camera included with
the purchase of the EDG makes this a very great value.

Agreed.

And I think that tipped me over the EDGe (so to speak). The D3000 is not well thought of but the lens in the kit is good. The camera has some issues in being considered worse than the D40 it replaced (don't you hate that!) with extra noise (a stop worse) and some missing features like bracketing that even a beginner could use. Then again if it sold well they wou;dn't be giving them away.

I don't have a DSLR so it would be useful for me though perhaps not the one I'd choose with a free choice (a love of AA batteries would take me to the Pentax, I think).

You referred to a couple of things that need to be pointed out on the EDG. The early models, had a hard plastic ocular cover, and later models have a rubber one. The other
change was the focuser, diopter knob was improved with a better more secure design. These things were well discussed in previous Nikon theads.

I knew there was a small focuser change (I suspect it tensioning rather than a major redesign and can probably be added in a service if it starts to give me problems).

The rubber rainguard I didn't know about. I shall probably end up bugging Nikon about that! Other peoples experience seems to be quite positive in that regard.

Did you ever loose a objective cover? Do you use them? I'm curious if that was a one off or typical behavior. It seems like a machined lip on the bottom of the enclosure would perhaps help. Maybe in the revision.

As far as the armor on the EDG, I find it to be a very nice and it covers most all of the body,
much like the Swaro. EL, with only the inside frame, a pleasing matte, black. For me, Nikon
does a very nice job with armor, as I like the nice textured finish.

I think both of our bins are the same (and if you've seen a open-bridge Bushnell Elite you'd see they're about the same). I quite like it but I tend not to like things that can glint. And it seems like they put in effort here that is a little wasted. A dull finish would have been fine. But it's the way it is.

Focus speed and focuser, it seems the 8x32 has a quite fast focus, maybe like the LXL, but I find in the 10x42 it takes almost one full turn to go from 8 ft. to infinity, so that means the 8x and 10x are at a bit slower pace, and for me that is a good thing. I do really like the
Nikon focus and find it the smoothest of anything I have tried.

I've not used an LXL and that would be the obvious comparison (eh, horokuru, hehehe ;) )

Try it from 10 feet to infinity. It's "my" standard ;) I'd like to see your number for that range to compare with mine.

And focusing below 3m often takes a lot more turns especially with postive focusers. With the 10x42 does it come down to 0.75 turns or less? Even so that's a bit more than mine which really was about 0.5 or 0.55 turns. I was surprised how quick it was compared to how good it feels. It doesn't "feel" that fast. For example this is faster than the Zeiss but the EDG feels more precise. It's a really weird ergonomic problem and I suspect it's things like this (not nice predictable optics) that drives the product designers nuts.

Now Kevin, I do have to ask, if you return this one to EO, do you get to keep the D3000?

Jerry

It requires the UPC from the box to get the camera and I think blizdas at EO wouldn't be too happy if I kept that and returned the bins ;) One nice thing is that EO provide a rebate form for the camera in the box. No hiding the extra value with a pointer to a PDF.

How do you find the eyecups?

Also I've not used anything else in the box ("return as new") so I've not tried the strap or the case yet.

Thanks for the compliment. I think you are the only other EDG owner around here. BTW, do you have or have you ever used a 10x42 SE?

I thought for a day before posting this because my post above and a comment like "EDG view looks like an SE" can sound a bit like "Best. Bin. Ever." new bin-itis posts. But it's the closest comparison I can find.

Agreed.

And I think that tipped me over the EDGe (so to speak). The D3000 is not well thought of but the lens in the kit is good. The camera has some issues in being considered worse than the D40 it replaced (don't you hate that!) with extra noise (a stop worse) and some missing features like bracketing that even a beginner could use. Then again if it sold well they wou;dn't be giving them away.

I don't have a DSLR so it would be useful for me though perhaps not the one I'd choose with a free choice (a love of AA batteries would take me to the Pentax, I think).

I knew there was a small focuser change (I suspect it tensioning rather than a major redesign and can probably be added in a service if it starts to give me problems).

The rubber rainguard I didn't know about. I shall probably end up bugging Nikon about that! Other peoples experience seems to be quite positive in that regard.

Did you ever loose a objective cover? Do you use them? I'm curious if that was a one off or typical behavior. It seems like a machined lip on the bottom of the enclosure would perhaps help. Maybe in the revision.

I think both of our bins are the same (and if you've seen a open-bridge Bushnell Elite you'd see they're about the same). I quite like it but I tend not to like things that can glint. And it seems like they put in effort here that is a little wasted. A dull finish would have been fine. But it's the way it is.

I've not used an LXL and that would be the obvious comparison (eh, horokuru, hehehe ;) )

Try it from 10 feet to infinity. It's "my" standard ;) I'd like to see your number for that range to compare with mine.

And focusing below 3m often takes a lot more turns especially with postive focusers. With the 10x42 does it come down to 0.75 turns or less? Even so that's a bit more than mine which really was about 0.5 or 0.55 turns. I was surprised how quick it was compared to how good it feels. It doesn't "feel" that fast. For example this is faster than the Zeiss but the EDG feels more precise. It's a really weird ergonomic problem and I suspect it's things like this (not nice predictable optics) that drives the product designers nuts.

It requires the UPC from the box to get the camera and I think blizdas at EO wouldn't be too happy if I kept that and returned the bins ;) One nice thing is that EO provide a rebate form for the camera in the box. No hiding the extra value with a pointer to a PDF.

How do you find the eyecups?

Also I've not used anything else in the box ("return as new") so I've not tried the strap or the case yet.

Kevin:

I will try to reply to these questions as a reply as I cannot seem to quote to
those you have posted. I have had the 10x42 SE, and really liked it but, did
not have it to compare directly to my EDG.

As far as the SE's I do have the 8x32 SE, and it is just a favorite for me and
one binocuar that I will never part with.

The focus, diopter knob, change had to do with the original would slip up too
easily, and would free wheel, the newer corrected version made for a more certain detent.

The objective covers on these are better used in a flip up manner, as the bushwackers may use, although I have not used those. I too found they can
come loose, and found out using double stick scotch tape kept them in place,
mooreorless.

I have had the Nikon LXL, and the focus on the 32mm models is quick, and maybe around the little over 1/2 rev. from near to far. The 10x42 EDG takes
somewhat more than that, almost 1 full rev. So I am thinking the 42mm models
are slower.

The eyecups are very good and secure with 4 positions, and for me without glasses I use them 1 from the max. I am thinking that means they have plenty of eyerelief. They do come with a winged eyecup, and I hope some from Nikon
are watching, they do not fit my face, as I would be using them.
I have 2 Swaros. with winged eyecups, and they work well. You mentioned strap, and the EDG strap is very good, wide neoprene, adjustable, and better
than the newest Swaro. strap, in my opinion.

Fun to talk about the EDG, too bad more have not had experience, so in summary, this Nikon has just the smoothest focuser, and excellent optics that
I am very happy with.

I have no connection with Nikon, but am thinking on the current promotion,
these are being offered at a very nice price. I really have no idea, but am
thinking a new single hinge model, will be very similar optically, as Nikon has
done a great job, and I do like the open frame, as I am a Swaro. EL owner.

Jerry

I had a pair of the 8x32 edgs for a while (like most of the rest of the edgs). I found them optically very nice but in my mind the role of a premium 8x32 roof is best filled by something the size and weight of the FL or Leica HD. The 8x32 edg was not petite enough to displace a good premier 8x42, which is, to me, a more satisfying instrument optically. Good as they are, they couldn't unseat my SEs at the time either. That's strictly my own opinion and I would be surprised if others did not come to the opposite conclusion.

I've posted before about their lack of visible CA except in the outer 20% or so of the field, very nice sweet spot, focusing, control of glare and stray light, and the tactile virtues of the whole EDG tribe. They are a great feeling and functioning binocular, and transmit the sense of being refined and well balanced yet built like a tank. They have less CA than the SE but are a hair less bright. I also like the EDG neck strap and was a fan of the innovative ocular guard, but dislike the flip up objective covers which are especially prone to coming off the 42mm models, but none too secure on the 32mm barrels either.

As a known resident of the Swarovision camp, I would say that the EDG focusing is without peer and the EDG eyecups are better, but optically the SV wins the day. Comparing them in 42mm format the SVs are also noticeably slimmer. If I were on an extended birding trip in brutal weather conditions, though, I might be comforted by the presence of a pair of EDGs in reserve.

No question they belong in any comparison of the best.

I'm keepin' my little SE, tempting as the EDG deal is (and as good as the 8x32FL is). Just can't see where the improvement in view would be for a $1k payout (and double that for the FL, an' I really like FL's).

I believe I'll stay with the Trinovids. I'm sure the EDG would be slightly sharper and brighter but the package and small advantage prolly isn't worth the investment.

I'll post a photo comparing the SE, EDG 8x32, Meopta 8x32, Zeiss 8x32FL, Zen Ray 7x36 so you get a feel for the size. The EDG 8x32 is closest in size to the Zen Ray 7x36 (which as SteveC said a year ago is close in size to a "regular" 8x42).

It's not light at 24oz either (the other 32mm are in the < 20oz range). About the same as the SE.

The objectives are quite a way up the tube and the lens caps add more length. Perhaps 15mm or more(!). I suspect they're narrowing down the stray light cone.

The 8x32 EDG is a positive focuser bin which slightly surprised me. I've been noticing a correlation between more "light around the exit pupil" and positive focusers. I suspect that accounts for some of the extra length.

I'm impression of the view is very SE like. I went out with just the EDG on their own looking at common birds in our local P-Patch. Very nice views of the birds. High contrast. A pleasingly neutral (but perhaps just a little warm) view.

Of course I could be suffering from "Dennis' syndrome" so I went back in and took the SE (505xxx), Meopta (smallest), Zeiss (non-lotutec) and EDG (serial lot of zeros and 37 ... so it's an early one) to the P-Patch.

Size: Meopta (smallest) < Zeiss (oversized barrels like the Pentax SP) < EDG (similar barrel diameter to Zeiss but longer barrels).

Weight: Meopta ~ Zeiss < EDG <~ SE

After watching the same sets of House Sparrows and a juvi Starling (very subtle color) side lit in a pine with 4pm sun I concluded that the EDG and SE were closest in views followed by the Meopta.

I suspect contrast is driving this on: EDG ~ SE > FL > Meopta

The chestnut heads on the male House Sparrows were really beautiful. I suspect the red bias plays a part here. An Anne's Hummingbird at close range showed it's iridescence very nicely. A juvi American Robin and juvi Starling also provided some interesting color views. A very nice overall view.

Color correction is very good but perhaps not perfect (twigs against brightly lit clouds ... a worst case) but I didn't notice lateral or longitudinal CA in normal use. A little different from the SE where lateral CA is more apparent and dependent (of course) on eye placement.

Color bias: EDG ~ SE (slightly warm) > Meopta (neutral) > FL (slightly cool)

The Meoptas are wider FOV with the others hitting the "400 foot" barrier (I think tht's why 7.7 to 7.8 degrees is so popular ... spec hunters driving the design).

FOV: Meopta > EDG ~ FL > SE

The oculars are larger in the EDG than the other bins: a trend for wider FOV, larger ER bins I think to enable eyeglass wearers to see the whole field. It was easier in the EDG than the Zeiss.

Edge sharpness is very like the SE: flat field at the edge but some astigmatism. So that might be a notch below the Swaro SV (which I've not tried).

Edge sharpness: EDG ~ SE > Meopta > FL

EDG versus SE: very similar. That surprised me but it seems to be true. Both about as sharp at the edge of field in the same way. Less CA in EDG. Contrast about the same. EDG has a slightly wider field. The SE have the "porro illusion" ;) of slightly less magnification. The EDG is waterproof and perhaps a bit more rugged (given Pete Dunne's throwing tests). It costs more too.

EDG versus FL: EDG had better contrast and color bias was more warm. The FL being the cooler and perhaps slightly less contrasty. The EDG are sharper at the edge but I'm not sure how much that improves the view (it might be subliminal but I don't really look at the edge). FL are "fat" 32mm bins (the barrels are more 35mm barrels). The EDG seem more like "tall" bins.

EDG versus Meopta: EDG had better contrast and color bias was just slight more warm. The Meopta is missing that "ED sharpness" but otherwise if well corrected for lateral CA (and not bad for lognitudinal CA). The EDG dawrfs the Meopta in size. They look like they're in different size classes. I'd rather take the Meopta on a business trip than the EDGs. The contrast in the Meoptas are a bit more dependent on where you point them (i.e. out of field stray light is an issue sometimes) and slightly less contrasty overall. The EDG are sharper at the edge though the Meoptas are no slouch. In use you wouldn't know the difference. The Meopta's FOV is bigger and it feels like it is too .

Focuser is half turn rotation from 3m/10feet to infinity (my birding range). This might seem too fast but the focuser speed is very nicely damped and very smooth. I had no problems with missing/overshooting the focus -- I would just land in the right place. Rather better than the slightly stiffer and less consistent Zeiss and the stiffer but similar rate Meopta. A better feel than the SE (faster and wider knob). Of all the focusers I've used this might be the best combo of rate, speed and smoothness I've tried. It might not please all people.

The bin was shipped in the "diopter setting position" (so people would find it, I expect). Of course, it spins in a friction free manner. The out of the box experience was "yikes, this is fast" followed by "crap this is broken it's not focusing". Then I remember the reviews with people commenting about the spinning focuser. It pops up and disengages from the mechanism to reveal a smaller metal knob underneath that sets the diopter offset. Pushing the main focuser knob home reengages it though there is a position where it looks like it's home but isn't quite and spins. I didn't have it "go into neutral" when I was birding but that's only been perhaps 90 minutes total use.

ER with my close fitting glasses is OK. In the left eye (I see the whole field) but in my more astigmatic eye (another -2.0D of correction) it's just a little dim and more clearly near the edge of blackout. I suspect for most glasses wearers this will be fine (though close fitting and higher myopes might have more of an issue). This is is similar to the other bins in this group for me.

The eyecups have unevenly set stops: there is locked fully in, then three stops that are a distance away from that. So no glasses users have more choices. I would have preferred something more like Zeiss's stay put at any distance (I use the Zeiss with an extra couple of mm on the eyecup of the right eye) as there are too many variables for eyeglass wearers these days.

Objective eyecups are the flip down type Nikon seem to be into today. They lock solidly and much to my surprise they didn't get in the way. More too my surprise (and annoyance) one fell off in the field which I didn't notice until I got home. Retracing my steps I found it on my walk. It's just press fit into place. So you can remove them if you don't like them (and that might save a little weight).

Rain guard is the "over engineered" ABS (hard plastic) EDG rain guard I've commented on before. It is a bit clanky when off the eyecups. It has an IPD lock that works well (better than the IPD setting of the bins) and a locking mechanism on the eyecups that sort of works but doesn't hold it solidly in place. Which is a shame as the objetive covers will stay put in a daysack without an extra bag. I can see this being an acquired taste.

Body finish is "shiny metal" rather than the matt (unfinished or semi-finished) Mg bodies I've seen before like the Bushnell Elite. Also like the Bushnell Elite the rubber coating (I wouldn't call it armor) is just applied on the outer sides of the barrels. Not too sure how cold weather hunters or birders would like that (though they are supposed to be wearing gloves). The coating has a slightly sticky, high friction feel to it. It feels secure.

The ergonomics of the enclosure is not actually as good as the Chinese ED enclosure (surprising but true). The flat facets of the design don't fit my fingers as well as the swoopy bits of metal in the Chinese design. But I found the bin comfortable to hold and easy to reach the focuser with both hands. I don't think I every touched the "objective" end of the bridge so taking that out in the update doesn't actually add to the ergos (though it reduces the weight).

Initially I though I might just try them out and probably send them back (I don't really need another pair of bins ... and EO does have a good return policy) but after using them for a bit they do seem rather nice. If a bit long.

So they've passed the first two parts of my evaluation: they looked OK out of the box and they look OK a couple of days later too. Next evaluation point is in about a week ... will they still be as good to me?

Kevin
Quote: "Of course I could be suffering from "Dennis' syndrome." Kevin I am curious what the "Dennis Syndrome" is. Are you referring to my reviews?

Kevin
Quote: "Of course I could be suffering from "Dennis' syndrome." Kevin I am curious what the "Dennis Syndrome" is. Are you referring to my reviews?

I think you sometimes tend to be a bit overenthusiastic with your latest bin. I suspect I'm not the only one who thinks so. ;)

Me. I tend to be too picky and over-technical. I'm sure plenty of people recognize "Kevin P syndrome" too ;)

I'm sure your are up for a little friendly ribbing. I hope? That's the way of the internet forums.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back