Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 00:35   #1
Katey jane photography
Forum Member

7d mk2 things to watch out for.

Camera owned since march 2015.

Know this camera better than most of my family.

Over all to get the best from the camera, if you having focus issues, maybe front or back focus then get it sent in, there seems to be a calibration issues and mine seems to wonder off every 10 months also.

It's well known in the shop at Colchester cameras, normally it is set up and works but needs to go back in after 10 months, so this time they kept it much longer and found that it seems to have a weak part that causes the camera to wonder off, they can't put their finger on the issues to report it to canon, if left it just gets to a point where i have to use it in manual focus.

Also sent in with the camera was the 100mm L macro, it needed calibrating to the camera and buy what a stunning job.

if you got auto focus issues and the way to test it is just by using the one shot not tracking and the camera is missing for no reason, get it sent in and state alignment of focus sensor and check mirror box.

lenses what are brilliant with the camera, canon 10-22mm, sigma 17-50 f2.8, 100mm L macro after calibration and the 100-400mm mk2, match made in heaven with those two.

http://www.kateyjanephotography.co.uk/
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 12:49   #2
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Had my 7D2 since 2014 and never had a problem with AF. I have done AFMA test with all my 'L' lenses and they all came back with zero adjustments needed apart from the 100mm L macro which I have set at +4. Although I have heard of many folks that have front or back focusing they have all set the AFMA themselves. What I cannot make out is why you do not do your Micro adjustments yourself!!! - if there are any needed you can set them yourself in the Camera (per lens). The advantage of doing it yourself is that you can determine the shooting distance (Canon suggest 50x focal length - but that may not suit everyones 'normal' shooting distance). Even the Canon adjustments may not be spot on for every shooting distance and focal lengths for zoom lenses.
If you still have issues after doing the AFMA yourself then by all means send it in for repair, sounds like yours could have been something more than just front or back focusing.
EDIT, remember to test separately with a converter if you use them as the AFMA needed can vary from the bare lens.

Last edited by Roy C : Wednesday 4th October 2017 at 13:26.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: