• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (2 Viewers)

Given the amazing things that happen in the backwater, it's probably breeding ;)

Sssshhhhh.....

No sign yet this morning, though it could easily be tucked away in a creek. 5 Dunlin and 4 Ringed Plovers were nice though. Haven't seen much else this morning, but plenty of dragonflies at Lower Bruckland including my first Emperor (infact 6 of them) and a single Black-tailed Skimmer.

You guys have had a brilliant spring, loads of cracking birds.

So gripping, and yet at the same time it inspires me to keep flogging away!

Thanks Josh - a place like this (and I guess your local patch too) it is all about coverage. So many birds drop in for just minutes before heading off again....So obviously, the more man-hours in the field, the more birds!!!

Now get back to your revision....and good luck!!!!

I was passing the Farm Gate at around 2:15 this afternoon …..Um, I thought, this seems to be the chosen hour of late, Curlew Sandpiper on Tuesday, Pectoral Sandpiper yesterday, Ian wasn’t there looking so I thought I’d grab the honours today………………..;)

I got my bins out and had a quick look….. Um, small waders scurrying about, better scope ‘em...

When I got my scope on them I could see a Ringed Plover, 5 Dunlin and another wader, only ever so slightly bigger than the Dunlin, a more upright stance and longer legs. When it moved into an area of good light I could make out a red colouring to the head and neck area ….. The Collin’s came out again and I decided on Curlew Sandpiper and sent out a text. Gav replied saying he was on his way……….

That's when it started, having never seen a Curlew Sandpiper before I became wracked with self-doubt, perhaps it’s a just another Dunlin and I’m not looking properly? I always get really concerned about getting others to rush out for nothing if I’m wrong about the identification of a bird. Gav arrived presently and looked rather concerned when I said “ I’m not certain it is one”, but to my immense relief he confirmed my ID....... Phew! |=)|

That's another lifer for me and another great spring record for The Axe, three good waders in three days.

I wonder what tomorrows wader will be??

Gav arrived presently and looked rather concerned when I said “ I’m not certain it is one”....

Oops. Did I look concerned? Sorry, Karen - certainly didn't mean to! To be frank, I am always MORE than happy to come and see 'possibles' and 'probables', and if it turns out to be a mis-ID I really don't care - it's always pleasing to get the text or phonecall, whatever the outcome. In this case, however, my ever-optimistic musings as I headed for the farm gate were '...hmm...summer plumaged Stilt Sand would be a nice turn-up!'. Anyway, it wasn't easy - long range, horrendous heat haze. A lot of red on this bird - the first Curlew Sand that I've seen in proper breeding colours for ages. Nice one, Karen. |=)|

This little wader-fest would be a really nice selection for autumn, let alone spring.

Naughtily, I wasn't at work when Karen texted - I had been unable to resist the siren call of Beer Head in the sunshine. "Come and find my shrike" it said, sexily. No shrikes, but a Wheatear almost straight away was encouraging - at least ONE migrant then. Some time later I had another - bizarrely, a Reed Warbler was merrily chuntering away from the depths of the Sheepwalk scrub.

Oops. Did I look concerned? Sorry, Karen - certainly didn't mean to!

You probably didn't really Gav, I was more than likely just projecting MY Concern onto you. I'll try to be more confident in future.

I went up to Trinity Hill tonight where 3 Nightjars put on a very nice show, plenty of churring, some superb flight views (slow and directly overhead) as well as perching in the dead tree. Brilliant! Great end to the day! |=)|

Yesterday I went off on another walk around the footpaths (FPs) and lanes around Colyton.

No garden warblers, nor cuckoo so not so much of interest although I walked 2 miles further than on Wednesday!

Generally there were good numbers of singing blackcap (one seen) and chiffchaff (3 seen) but still no spotted flycatchers. During the walk there were four families of great tits plus one that has pitched up at the bottom of the garden in which young blue tits joined the feeding frenzy.

I went along the Ridgeway again and along Sand Pit Hill Lane where I had my first GSW. I followed the lane along to Pratts Hill accompanied by singing skylarks and saw another GSW. Plenty of birds but nothing unusual was seen in the Holyford area.

I worked my way down to the River Coly at Colyford and walked up stream with a persistent GSW calling to my right. Near Coles Mill two grey wagtails flew out from thick vegetation by the the bank. Probably a good chance that they will breed. (I have seen dipper in that area in the past).

I followed the East Devon Way and in the lane adjacent to Lower Cownhayne Farm I heard a sedge warbler. A further 3 were heard adjacent to the FP as it skirted hedgerows adjacent to the ditch.

Once the FP opened out to the River Axe I saw a sparrowhawk and heard a further sedge warbler along the bank. There were plenty of goldfinches about and I heard grey wagtail flying down the river.

I fought through the vegetation choked Nunsford Lane but a thorough scour of the farm buildings and posts drew a blank for little owl.

Working my way back home I saw a pair of GSWs in a tree from the path from Newbery Close to the picnic area and finished off with a tree creeper in Clay Lane but no sign of breeding GSWs.

So nothing unusual to report. Later a text from Ian Waite took to me the farm gate and the curlew sandpiper reported by Karen and Gavin. I don't expect to see anything like that in my Colyton walkabouts!

Waders looking good this morning.

20 Dunlin and 4 Ringed Plovers at Coronation Corner half hour ago! I'll certainly be having another look later!

I'm pretty sure GSWs are nesting near Heathhayne John, in copse by the Gittishayne Gateway. Oh, and also at Watchcombe Moor woods, though I'm not sure whether these are on patch or not?

Last edited:
Not much from me today, saw that wader flock Karen from the farm gate at about 08:00 - shame there's nothing else in with them!!!

Attached a pici of a boat from Penzance anchored in the bay, with Beer Head to the right.

Attachments

• View-with-a-boat.jpg
    View-with-a-boat.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 94
Evening folks, managed to get to Beer Head at about 13.00 this afternoon was hoping for a Turtle Dove, but no luck in fact was very quiet but did see 3 Whitethroat - after i went to Beer Quarry also not much happening here 2 chiffs and 1 willow...then thought i would check out the fields beyond the top Beer Cemetry, hoping for a shrike plenty of Hawthorn/Blackthorn habitat there but no shrikes!! did see a spotted flycatcher though my 7th so far this year and a pair of whitethroats going in and out a hedge with food - then walked to the top of Mare Lane and checked out some fields, hedgerows and conifer plantations 3 Yellowhammer, 3 skylark (one carrying food)..and a few chiffchaffs - including one that i couldnt see only heard that had a "weird" song first chiff-chaffing then a really quiet chee chee chee then chiffing again ( didnt sound anything like steves IB chiff..which was a shame!!) - was thinking shall i phone or txt a few people but after about 5 - 10 minutes of listening, and waiting another 10 minutes i didnt hear it again..so i think il put it down to a confused chiffchaff, and a more confused me!!

Last edited:
I rather stupidly took too much heed of the weather forecast for today. I had been eagerly anticipating the SE gales forecast several days ago, but yesterday this changed to NE gales IE: not ideal for seawatching. So I had a long overdue lie in......................what a mistake!! The seawatching has been superb this morning Ian had a great couple of hours from 9 - 11, perhaps he'll post what he saw later.

I eventually arrived at the Yacht Club to walk the dog and was stunned to see the state of the sea, big breakers and a strong, mainly easterly wind. I couldn't get the scope out quick enough!! I only had time to watch from 11.15 to 12.00 but saw a fair amount:

Gannet 20/3 (E/W), Kittewake1/1, 5 Manx Shrearwater/5, and 1 Pomarine Skua East, another fairly close bird, light phase with full spoons!! What a treat! |=)|

Also lots of unidentifieds, too far out!

Must get back out there later before the wind does finally turn northerly!

I can only imagine what else I must have missed this morning if Ian's collection is anything to go by!! Gripping!! Anyone do the early shift?

I asked about the distance of the outermost flag at the Yacht Club yesterday and the reply was " Don't know, we just take it right out and chuck it in!" After more questioning they admitted that it is supposed to be about level with Beer Head, so about a mile then!

Yesterday at 4 o'clock there was a small flock of waders north of Coronation Corner consisting of 9 Dunlin and 9 Ringed Plovers.

EDIT: As promised I went back out at 3 o'clock, this time to the shelter. Bun was there and had been for over two hours and Gavin joined us later, so I'll leave it to them to post about the birds seen - but suffice to say I'm VERY happy I went back. Great Stuff! |=)|

Gavin - I've looked up my small waders in flight and am now pretty certain the waders were Sanderling.

Last edited:
After the news this morning reached me of Ian m & karen having some good sea watching i made up 2 flasks ( one of bovril & one of coffee) and headed down to the thatched shelter getting there at 12.40 and leaving at 16.10 - no stormies or poms but still a enjoyable 3 & a half hours - logged in my notebook are - 48 Gannet 34E,14W, 11 manxies 10W,1E, 4 Sandwich Terns E,1 common Tern E, 3 common scoter W, 7 kittiwake 5W 2E, 2 Curlew E and best of all 4 Arctic Skua, ( a single light phase west) then 3- two light phase, one dark phase spotted by Karen ( i would have missed them as i was looking through my scope) really close in visible and easy to see with naked eye - and instead of following the coast they decided to gain height and fly straight over Beer Head being mobbed by crows as they went over..really good stuff...after leaving Karen & Gav in the shelter i popped in the spar shop, then back down the seafront to my bike, and saw 3 sandwich tern feeding close in and a little flock of small waders going west, but couldn,t make out what they were with out my optics...also on the seawatch coming in off the sea were 30+ swift a few swallows and a peregrine...

Bun was there and had been for over two hours and Gavin joined us later, so I'll leave it to them to post about the birds seen.....

Well, I stayed until 18:00, and can add another 2 Arctic Skuas (seen by Karen too), though distant, plus 3 Kittiwakes W, 4 Manxies E, 4 Dunlin W and a few Gannets to and fro and loitering. A couple of Swifts and Swallows arrived, wishing they'd worn their winter woolies.....

Best of all though, moments after Karen left, and I was alone with a nearly empty sea, a flight of 6 Masked Boobies swept in on a reconnaissance mission for the impending invasion. They spotted me, all on my own, and circled right in front of the shelter a couple of times. Then they soared off, laughing about how nobody would ever believe me, in search of another lone seawatcher to wind up................|=)|

EDIT - Right this moment there is a howling gale roaring outside, determinedly blowing all seabirds Francewards. I suspect I shall still have to have a look in the morning though.........

Last edited:
A tribute to backwater birders...

Spent the afternoon at Lower Bruckland with Gav, 2 Red-eyed Damselflies were a MASSIVE highlight! First ones I've seen in the area.

A year back, you posted this ...cool I thought, wouldn't mind seeing some of those, so began to keep an eye out. A year later and finally I found them, two on the pools I excavated on my land. A million miles from Seaton, but thanks anyhow, it got me looking!

T'was enough to kick me back into action, really do need to master the dragonflies ...but, boy, there are hundreds of them out here! A busy summer ahead!

Attachments

• Red-eyed Damselfly, pool.jpg
    Red-eyed Damselfly, pool.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 106
A year back, you posted this ...cool I thought, wouldn't mind seeing some of those, so began to keep an eye out. A year later and finally I found them, two on the pools I excavated on my land. A million miles from Seaton, but thanks anyhow, it got me looking!

Excellent! Smart wee things, for sure. As yours was one of the threads that prompted me to get this one started, it's nice that you've had a little payback of sorts. |=)|

In my back garden there's a pond filling up right this minute. If I hurry up and get it planted I'm hoping some dragonflies and damsels will find it this year. Maybe not Red-eyed though......

Incidentally, '...cool I thought, wouldn't mind seeing some of those' is a sentiment I've expressed about most of the avian contents of your patch, Jos! I have been keeping an eye out, but some may take more than a year to find!

After last night's raging northerly, seawatching seemed like a daft option first thing this morning. By 07:40, though, a modest list of birds had put in an appearance. Mostly heading E: 46 Gannets (8W), a pale phase Arctic Skua, 8 Common Scoter, 21 Sandwich Terns (4W), 2 Manxies, a Common Gull, plus a single Kittiwake each way. Also 10 Canada Geese headed out S and a little E, hopefully to soil the continent, while arriving were 31 Swifts and 99 House Martins (including flocks of 40, 34 and 23) - which surprised me a bit - and 4 Shelduck which appeared to come straight in from a heck of a long way out (immigrants??).

A look at the river straight afterwards produced a goodly number of waders, though not much variety, unfortunately - 27 Dunlin and 28 Ringed Plovers (a record count for me here). By this evening the numbers had changed to 41 Dunlin and just 4 Ringed Plovers. Also about last thing were 3 Whimbrel, a drake Shoveler and the Greylag.

Nice one Jos!!! I'll try it myself with some of your sightings....Have always fancied breeding Penduline Tits on Colyford Marsh....I just need to look harder.......

Not much from me today, but nice to read wader passage is still in full swing, hopefully that Terek is just days away!!!! Is it me or is the gap between spring and autumn getting shorter every year????

Just had a bit of an idea - why don't we organise a Bird Forum 'event' in the backwater to introduce some from further afield to the joys of the Axe?

Might even mean I get a chance to venture down.

How about the other end of he summer, when autumn passage is well underway? Could shift some bird reports too!

James

Just had a bit of an idea - why don't we* organise a Bird Forum 'event' in the backwater to introduce some from further afield to the joys of the Axe?

Might even mean I get a chance to venture down.

How about the other end of he summer, when autumn passage is well underway? Could shift some bird reports too!

James

Well volunteered, James! I'll bring some doughnuts. |=)|

No birding today, but a year tick this evening on the drive back from Axminster as the light was dimming - a Little Owl on wires just S of Musbury.

[* for this to actually happen, James hopefully means 'I' ]

Last edited:
Whilst walking the dog along the Coly today I saw plenty of juvenile birds around the Heathayne area, including Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Great Tit, Dunnock and Great Spotted woodpecker.

This chap was still in the nest hole but appeared an imminent departure, nearly taking the plunge a couple of times as I watched, I've posted this picture of him, (yes, it's a bit out of focus) because it's quite amusing he looks like he's wearing a really bad 'syrup' |=)| . I also saw a Spotted Flycatcher collecting nesting material and this Broad Bodied Chaser.

Whilst on this walk I noticed that the wind was backing WSW and so after a quick cup of tea, I grabbed my scope and hurried off down to the shelter for some more seawatching. I watched from 16:10 - 18:00.

The first 10 minutes were the best with an almost immediate pair of Skuas flying east but distant. Then a couple of minutes later a cracking pale phase Arctic Skua appeared very close in and harried a couple of Sandwich Terns as it passed by. Brilliant!|=)|

Total birds counted were:

Gannet 24/4 W/E, Sandwich Tern 3/5, Kittiwake 4, Auk Sp. 2, Razorbill 3, Common Scoter 1 (on sea), Manx Shearwater 3, Skua Sp. /3, Arctic Skua 1.

Southeasterly forecast for the morning..........................I wonder what I'll be doing! ;)

Also attached atmospheric picture of Beer head.

Attachments

• beerh.jpg
    beerh.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 87
  • bbchaser.jpg
    bbchaser.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2661gsw.jpg
    IMG_2661gsw.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
The Secret's Out!

In a massive coup for the Backwater, I am privileged to be able to release news that will set the UK birding scene alight. Following their discovery at Trinity Hill by Nightjar hunters a fortnight ago, it can be revealed that E Devon is hosting the Western Palearctic's first ever Clark's Nutcrackers - a breeding pair! Attached is a blurry photo of the male taken from the hastily set up RSPB sentry tower.

This irruptive species from the western United States has never before been stupid enough to cross the Atlantic, but is now set to provide UK listers with their most unexpected tick since Little Auk Type Thing. Before the traditional BF 'wild or escape?' debate begins, I can reveal that the female is wearing an ABA ring from Colorado.

As the site is now secure, access is being arranged from tomorrow, and is being controlled by Garvan Haag Enterprises. Admission is available in 10-minute slots for a non-negotiable donation of £25 to Mr Haag's favourite charity. For a modest fee, Mr Haag will also rent you a ladder so you can reach the viewing platform..............

Do I need to include any ;) ;) ;) this time??

Soon I will be able to go birding and have some more real birds to get properly excited about......|=)|

Attachments

• Clark's Nutter.jpg
    Clark's Nutter.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Gavin

Are the Clark's Nutcrackers at the brilliantly managed Trinity Hill Local Nature Reserve or the crappy Forestry Commission bit just down the road ? What do you mean, 'loaded question' ? Incidentally, may I be the first to suggest that you're clearly losing it and should get out more - as if you didn't know.

Good day out working on the two Axe Estuary Local Nature Reserves yesterday with the following couple of highlights.

Firstly at Seaton Marshes, while fixing up a new Kingfisher perch by the creek just oposite the hide, I found a very rare beastie indeed - the caterpillar of the Ground Lackey moth. Ground Lackeys are found on the coastal saltmarshes of Kent, Essesx and Suffolk. Their only other UK location is the Axe Estuary. Not quite as rare as Clark's Nutcracker but almost.

Secondly at Colyford Common - actually Colyford Marsh, just over the tramway from the reserve - the breeding Redshanks now have young. This is very exciting, even though they now breed here every year, as the Axe Estuary is still one of only two regular breeding locations for this species in the whole county.

A few nice piccies attached (hopefully). One of the very groovy caterpillar, one of the thrift in flower at Colyford Common and another pretty pic of a bird hide near you.

Cheers

Fraser

Attachments

• DSCN4360.jpg
    DSCN4360.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN4402.jpg
    DSCN4402.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN4461.jpg
    DSCN4461.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 83
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back