• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mergansers, Scotland (3 Viewers)

Gander

On the 19th, I saw what I took to be a Goosander on my local patch/loch. First that I have seen on the water in 5 or 6 years of birding here, but they have been reported by others on the odd occasion. Bird was at distance, and in very poor light conditions, but the white chin, and apparently pale breast had me convinced that this (photo 1) was a Goosander.

Today, in almost the exact same position, again at distance, but this time shooting into the sun, I saw the familiar shape of a Merganser, but looking at the photos at home, I am thinking Red-breasted (see photo 2). Dark looking breast and wing pattern seem to support my ID. The loch is less than a mile from the Firth of Forth, where I regularly see R-BMs, however, in 5 to 6 years, I've never seen or heard of one on the loch.

I think it is the unlikelihood of getting both of these species in such a short period of time, on a water where they are rarely seen, that has sowed seeds of doubt in my mind.

Thoughts please, and apologies for the poor quality of the record shots.

Attachments

• DSCN4964.jpg
    DSCN4964.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN5083.jpg
    DSCN5083.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 71
All red-breasted mergansers: spiky hair-do, thin bill.
I would agree with that. I might be mislead by the light conditions, but 1) could be a female 2) definitely male; For how long were you observing? Maybe it was a pair with one of the partners diving away each time. Observing Goosanders it happened to me, that I initially counted e.g. 2 male and 3 females and then had trouble finding the same amount again because they were diving for quite a long time.

I would agree with that. I might be mislead by the light conditions, but 1) could be a female 2) definitely male; For how long were you observing? Maybe it was a pair with one of the partners diving away each time. Observing Goosanders it happened to me, that I initially counted e.g. 2 male and 3 females and then had trouble finding the same amount again because they were diving for quite a long time.
The sightings were 5 days apart. Because of the long range, I only gave each sighting a few minutes, concentrating on grabbing long range record shots for later ID. I suppose it is possible that they are different birds, and/or that there may be a pair with one being concealed each time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back