• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawk/Sparrowhawk UK (1 Viewer)

Mouldy

skywatcher, dragonhunter
I spotted this distant accipiter giving a brief display this morning and was convinced it was a Goshawk while watching it but am no expert and have been fooled on many occasions in the past by displaying sparrowhawks at this time of year. Can anyone offer a positive ID from the attached well-cropped photos? Thanks, much appreciated.

Attachments

• accipter.jpg
    accipter.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 547
That's one powerful, short and rounded tailed looking bird!

I'd have to call Goshawk on that one - doesn't scream sparrow hawk at all to me. I'd certainly be eyes on if I saw that over head!

Looks good for a tail-less sparrowhawk. Arm vs hand ratio is wrong for Gos (which has a longer arm).

The stocky body and short tail of the top left looks so weird, like a hybrid between a razorbill and a sparrowhawk. Maybe it's a really odd angle

Food for Thought

Thanks for the input folks, a bit of food for thought there with the tail-less sparrowhawk theory, which could also explain the strange look to the tail on a couple of images.
Enough doubt there to put it in the inconclusive file anyway, hopefully I can get another (and closer) look at it as it was spotted over distant woodland from my kitchen window.
Will post again if I get something more conclusive.

Cheers.

I believe this is just "angle of capture" (if such a term exists, and it should!) Look at the top right photo? You see a longish tail with a rounded tip. The others appear to show the subject flying away, which would make the tail look short, at a certain angle? It looks a bit "Gossy" on other details? A heavy bird, with rounded edge to rear-wing, and fat protruding neck, with Gos-like markings? But, is there enough to go on for a conclusive ID? When I first saw this a day ago, I thought it was an Eagle Owl! 3:)

ps My limited money is on Goshawk for this bird...

Last edited:
The tail length is definitely not normal. The tail is either missing or regrowing after an accident.
And structurally the bird looks perfect for sparrowhawk to my eyes, again the wing proportion are wrong for Gos.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back