• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you tell a Goshawk from a Sparrowhawk if you only see the Silhoutte, Hiroshima Japan (2 Viewers)

MorphCore

Germany
Hey there,

it´s me again. I am on a birding spree these days and keep posting ID help in here. Sorry if I am being bothersome. Today right at the end, I already was about to leave my spot when this bird of prey flew over my head and this is the only decent enough picture I could take: see attached photo. So now I am curious to learn about how I can tell the difference between the two Accipiter species.

Thank you in advance for all kinds of responses

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-30 um 14.43.44.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-30 um 14.43.44.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • _Y7A0123.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 19
Also look at this thread:

(And, in some cases, you can never know with just a silhouette available.)

I think though in Hiroshima you should also reckon with the third Accipiter in Japan: Japanese Sparrowhawk.

I would think it is more a sparrowhawk spec than a Goshawk, but the photo is not very giving informationwise...

see this page for more info

cheers,
Gerben

Hi Gerben.

If you can't tell whether it's Goshawk or Eurasian Sparrowhawk from below, then thinking of Japanese Sparrowhawk is surely pointless unless the hand is spread and you can count the fingers clearly. Japanese Sparrowhawk is rare in Japan, despite the name and what the books may say. I have only seen it two or three times on migration in autumn, compared with thousands of views of Sparrowhawk and Goshawk which over-winter or breed where I am in Nara.

Why do you think that Hiroshima (not that far from Nara) might be some kind of a hotspot for Japanese Sparrowhawk as your comment seems to suggest?
:
I think though in Hiroshima you should also reckon with the third Accipiter in Japan: Japanese Sparrowhawk.

Am I a little touchy at the moment or is your tone maybe a bit argumentative?
I am not an English native speaker, so maybe i misinterpreted your messages.

Cheers
G

Last edited:
Am I a little touchy at the moment or is your tone maybe a bit argumentative?
I am not an English native speaker, so maybe i misinterpreted your messages.
No, you didn't misinterpret my messages.

MorphCore is a recent member (three weeks ago or so) of Bird Forum and has apparently recently moved to Japan.

His/Her original question was perfectly sensible - how to tell a backlit Sparrowhawk from a backlit Goshawk. In my experience if one occurs, in Japan, then the other is possible in the same location. For example, three days ago in my city on my regular walk (a bit unusual in that there are fields and empty areas in the middle of a 450,000 population city) I saw (and photographed) Goshawk, female Sparrowhawk, and male and female Kestrel over a couple of minutes from the same spot in the middle of my walk.

Gerben - maybe I am misremembering, but my impression is that in your replies to questions on Japanese birds you regularly go for the rarest and least likely of the possibilities, which is what I think you are doing here.

I simply don't think that it was helpful to this new member, perhaps in a new country, to suggest a very unlikely species rather than trying to help with the original question. Your previous comment got a thumbs-up from 01101001, fdokykcu and Grahame Walbridge, and a later one from Butty, but I respectfully suggest that they don't know what they are talking about in this case.

Enjoy the photos from Japan a couple of days ago

BF 97.JPGBF 98.JPGBF 099.JPGBF 100.JPG

I admit I don't actually know what I'm talking about. In this thread, I have to rely on the advice of others regarding birding in Japan. Nice photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back