• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor in flight: young, male Goshawk from East Turkey on 5th of September (2 Viewers)

bubo_bubo

The image of a Accipiter was made near Erzurum in north-eathern Turkey. When viewing in Lightroom, my first thought is: Levante Sparrowhawk. This ID becomes more and more in doubt as viewing continues. The iris is yellow after all. That does not fit at all to the Levante Sparrowhawk. But the bird has the stripe lengthwise on the flanks and the belly. An superciliary stripe is not visible. The bird appears almost rust colored on the underside, with a strong contrast between the dark red underwing coverts and the lighter arm wings. On the upper side, however, the bird is light gray with several whitish edges. This suggests a young bird. I am almost considering a young Shikra, there I come to pictures, which show the circling bird with a clearly smaller raptor, a Kestrel. Then it becomes clearer to me: it could be a young, possibly male, Goshawk. Gensböl and also Forsman emphasize that the southern individuals can appear smaller but also darker, more reddish. The number of fingers does not really help me. I would not have expected a goshawk in this dry, open, barren landscape. Now I put the ID of a young male Goshawk with a young Lesser Kestrel in Birdforum.net for discussion.

Thanks for ID to the experts.

Cheers

Johannes

Attachments

• Goshawk_80F9819.jpg
    Goshawk_80F9819.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Goshawk_80F9963.jpg
    Goshawk_80F9963.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back