• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acuter (1 Viewer)

pickles

Hi
Anybody know what the Acuter scopes are like has anybody used one as i would like to know if the optics are good or poor thinking of getting the 20x60x80 any advice please.

They're ok for the money - you get what you pay for. My girlfriend bought one and we used it for six months until she decided to splash out on a Leica. We were well satisfied with it. If you are strapped for cash, or want to just see how you get along with a scope, then they are fine.

PS We still have ours for sale for £90!

pickles said:
Hi
Anybody know what the Acuter scopes are like has anybody used one as i would like to know if the optics are good or poor thinking of getting the 20x60x80 any advice please.

Do a search on here - I remember considering one of these a year or so back for my dad. A few reviews about how they "fell to pieces" or the lenses "dropped out" made my mind up, and for a few quid more, a superb Nikon Fieldscope with 2 x eyepiece and pair of Nikon bins arrived instead.

I have the 65mm version, this got me off the ground at a very low price around £90. The manufacturer "Syntra" bought Celestron so you will see these scopes on their web site. For the money they are well made and have a range of alternative eyepieces. I don't use a scope a lot so they suit my pupose. Don't understand the commets about "lens falling out" etc.

It was me who made a comment about the lens falling out. It was, however, easy to fix, and the scope is better now than when we bought it! I just don't think it was tightened up properly during manufacture!

As a starter scope - it was pretty good. We also had a small Summit scope - and that was awful - you had to grap it with both hands to alter the focus! It wasjust so tight. We though it would ease off with use, but it never did, which is when we moved up to the Acuter.

I have an Acuter scope, a 65mm model with the zoom eyepiece and it's pretty good considering it cost only just over £100. Image sharp enough and bright with no fringing that I can make out. Leica it ain't but good enough.

VB

I have use the accuter 80mm for a while with the zoom eyepiece. Considering the price, it is a very good scope. The view are a bit in the yellow side but can be beat only by far higher price scope. I have do some digiscoping also with very good result. There are an old thread somewhere in the forum with picture I have send.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back