• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper vs Celestron M2 (1 Viewer)

BAL Land

United States
Hi all,
I’m planning on upgrading my scope to one of the two scopes listed in the title(Vortex Viper 20x60x85 vs the Celestron Regal M2 20x60x80). I’m going to use it mainly for shorebirds, waterbirds, raptors(less often), and seawatches. Does anyone have suggestions on which one to go for? FYI, im upgrading from a $175 Gosky scope.

Thanks!

Anyone? I’d like to make my decision within a week so I can have it for my trip to the Salton Sea. I’m deciding between the Celestron Regal m2 100ED 20x60x80 and the Vortex Viper 20x60x85.

I’m leaning toward the Celestron since it’s a little cheaper and a few reviews say that the optical quality was virtually equal, it any other input is greatly appreciated.

I can’t comment on the Celestron, but I was considering getting a Viper 85mm last year, and did a bit of research with store models. My idea was to either get that or a Diamondback. It would be my first scope.

I was impressed with the quality of the glass clarity in the Viper, but after also trying it side by side with a Vortex Razor, I realised that the Viper was a little too heavy, large, and has restricted AFOV and brightness for my tastes. In the end, I decided to go with the Razor.

I know that’s not all the info you’re looking for, but Ive found that it’s sometimes hard to find comments from Vortex scope users on BirdForum.

I really enjoy the Razor, and I’m very happy with my choice, but i still plan to upgrade one day 🙂 Hope this helps.

I'd be interested to read your opinion about it, when you've had a chance to use it a little in the field and learn its capabilities :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back