• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (3 Viewers)

Likewise, HighNorth. After my initial issues with needing the correct lens covers and replacement eye cups my 10x42 SFs are mechanically and optically absolutely fine.

I still find it perplexing how instruments with optical defects can escape quality checks. I can - sort of - understand clumsy errors such as putting the wrong lens covers in etc but surely any manufacturer goes through a series of lab standard checks. It'd be interesting to know what the final check actually consists of, unless it's a series of checks along the production line that are ticked off and then a final signing off. And maybe then human error enters the equation. Does anyone out there know?

The finger print inside of one ocular lens of my swaro SLC 15x56 is another nice mistake

But the new HT x54 of zeiss goes straight to the top honors of mistakes....

Last edited:
Ceasar not a problem..... As humans we make mistakes......

Or in some cases, part human, part Neanderthal. ;)

Just another "feeble attempt" at humor, which apparently some people can neither comprehend nor appreciate, which is ironic coming from resident of California, the weirdest state in the Union!

Anyway, carry on gentlemen, back to Ruffled Feathers I fly....

:flyaway:

The Apeman

Good morning to all.

Now a new thread for SF bins are open because as is written new guy opinion are not very welcome.

As its written: I can't believe the different directions it was going.

I've never in my life is accepted radicalism and fanaticism and for me new or not new people opinion or feeling has to be taken in account.

Its seems that any bad comment about zeiss is false full stop. Despite having produced one of the worst binoculars of hi end market of last years like the HT X54 and nothing happens.

At first could not believe what I was reading in this fórum about 8 and 10x54 HT models and i was amazed about star test pictures and reports from highly reputed people about this model but is a fact that lack of sharpness and huge amount of astigmatism is present in those models.

I an HUGE fan of Zeiss, not everyone collects old zeiss models as i do like 10x40 BGAT, 10X50 Oberkochen 25th special editions, CZJ 12X50 Nobilen etc etc.

But the fact is that other companies especially Swarovsky are now the market leader in optical technology with a very nice and fine products, and free of astigmatism.

Anyway astigmatism is something that Zeiss is very famous for it …

Now i am quite happy with my second unit of SF 8X42 and i already report my impression here to sum up:

Huge FOV and very natural lifelike color and contrast, nothing exagerated i mean colors of contrast, just a nice true to life view.

CA is very well suppressed but a small amounth od lateral CA can be seen but is not very pronounced NICE JOB !!!

Glare and stray light supperssion is top notch giving allways a very clear and trasparent view even in the worst conditions with a detailed and Sharp view, not like my previous SF unit.

As i mention before anothe área where SF excells is its 3D and pop on view as i already post here:

It has some of the character that only can be found in the best porro bins, Dimension are up there in the view,objects are not compressed as in other bins or telephoto camera lens, is just the view closer with this extra 3D effect,in fact meets some of the features of the best porro designs in its view.

Now what i dont like :

This is just personal taste, the view during bright and sunny days is too bright for me i still prefer the more contrasty view of my ultravids because they give a more easy recognize of details……just for me.

I still prefer the feeling of a more compact and a litte bit heavier instrument i like to feel a more Dense Bin as my Swarovski SV 10x42 fells in my hands because i am able despite its 10x magnification to get a more steady view, again just for me.

The last thing:

This binocular …….Zeiss fans DONT BE OFFENDED i mean my unit thats Works perfectly during day time tell me a different story looking the night skies.

The binocular is unable to get stars in perfect focus no way !!! the same isuue was reported by other users on this fórum with HT models and also in astronomy fórums.

Please i would like to know is any other user of SF notice this.

Last edited:
The last thing:

This binocular …….Zeiss fans DONT BE OFFENDED i mean my unit thats Works perfectly during day time tell me a different story looking the night skies.

The binocular is unable to get stars in perfect focus no way !!! the same isuue was reported by other users on this fórum with HT models and also in astronomy fórums.

A problem with focusing at infinity? Diopter settings? Your eyes - short sighted? Could be anything...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=273394

but interesting to hear you opinions,
perhaps someone could make a photo documented star test
that would give us some more "hard" facts on the table,

There is no problem at all with focus at infinity and the diopter is carefully adjusted.

All my swaros aré able to produce perfect in focus stars and shows jupiter like a perfect tiny sphere.

Maybe astigmatism ? I will wait for a proper start test from those people who Knows how to do it .

There is no problem at all with focus at infinity and the diopter is carefully adjusted.

All my swaros aré able to produce perfect in focus stars and shows jupiter like a perfect tiny sphere.

Maybe astigmatism ? I will wait for a proper start test from those people who Knows how to do it .
How does Jupiter appear?

Interesting. Have you got by any chance a Zeiss 8x42 HT or 10x42 HT for comparison?

That's one of the things that's still missing, a real life comparison between the SF and the HT.

Hermann

I had last year for a month a unit of 8x42HT

That sample was not able to get a proper in focus view, was a defective unit for sure.

It was exchange by a ultra sharp leica ultravid 8 x42 BL

are you aware of that the SF:s are made for BIRD watching?
;)

Globetrotter,

If you mean spikes that's typical for roof binoculars against bright lightsources, but I don't think stars use to produce spikes. There are spikes in all my roof binoculars, as well the Conquest HD when I look at bright light spurces like street lights and car head lights.
But my earlier experience with Zeiss binoculars is that these have been free from spikes. I wonder if it has to do with the prism type? I read that SF uses Schmidt-Pechan prisms, while HT and FL use Abbe-König prisms.
I think that Schmidt-Pechan produces spikes while Abbe-König don't. Anyone who can confirm?

are you aware of that the SF:s are made for BIRD watching?
;)

Jejeje a good optical system free of aberrations should be good for everything.....as a good APQ refractor is a killer when is used on ground targets.

Spikes in a roof bin is common but not in the huge degree that SF shows.

P coatings where develop to avoid this and the most Interesting thing, was applied first time for zeiss.

The SV 10x42 is almost perfect in this regard and many amateur astronomers use it.

Perfect and nice in focus stars aré there just to enjoy even planets like jupiter thru my SV 10x42 and SLC 15x56 HD aré a perfect ball....no spikes, no optical dispersion just perfect.|=)||=)|:t:

Last edited:
Globetrotter,

If you mean spikes that's typical for roof binoculars against bright lightsources, but I don't think stars use to produce spikes. There are spikes in all my roof binoculars, as well the Conquest HD when I look at bright light spurces like street lights and car head lights.
But my earlier experience with Zeiss binoculars is that these have been free from spikes. I wonder if it has to do with the prism type? I read that SF uses Schmidt-Pechan prisms, while HT and FL use Abbe-König prisms.
I think that Schmidt-Pechan produces spikes while Abbe-König don't. Anyone who can confirm?

about spikes..
prism related as you suggested..

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/472294-about-spikes-in-roofs/

perhaps something…but it's over my stars horizons…

and more from Holger M:

"The BW8 displays a low intensity of ghosting, similar to the BW7, but there is another issue: The generation of spikes at the roof-edge. A point-like source (distant street lantern, or bright planet like Venus) is generating a straight line of light ("spike"), which is oriented perpendicular to the roof edge, and since there are two roof edges (one in each tube) with different orientations, the two spikes form a cross-like structure. These spikes are the result of light diffraction at the roof edges, and their intensity indicates the precision with which the roof edge has been polished. With high end roof binoculars, these spikes are almost invisible, but the BW8 is far away from that level of perfection."

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/chinese8x40.html

Last edited:
Jejeje a good optical system free of aberrations should be good for everything.....as a good APQ refractor is a killer when is used on ground targets.

Spikes in a roof bin is common but not in the huge degree that SF shows.

P coatings where develop to avoid this and the most Interesting thing, was applied first time for zeiss.

The SV 10x42 is almost perfect in this regard and many amateur astronomers use it.

Perfect and nice in focus stars aré there just to enjoy even planets like jupiter thru my SV 10x42 and SLC 15x56 HD aré a perfect ball....no spikes, no optical dispersion just perfect.|=)||=)|:t:

Maybe you had to much Sangria…??
or forgot to polish you roof prisms...
;)

and more about spikes…in Swaros and Leicas..

http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php?t-134043.html

I agree with you that stars should look like stars...

Last edited:

I disagree. Different optic systems have different strenghts, different weaknesses and different uses. The SF with its Schmidt-Pechan prisms is intended for birdwatching. Newtonian reflectors are good for astronomy, but unsuitable for terrestrial viewing. An APO refractor is good for both, but is expensive and can be very heavy. It's all about trade offs...

Last edited:
Good morning to all.

Now a new thread for SF bins are open because as is written new guy opinion are not very welcome.

As its written: I can't believe the different directions it was going.

I've never in my life is accepted radicalism and fanaticism and for me new or not new people opinion or feeling has to be taken in account.

Its seems that any bad comment about zeiss is false full stop. Despite having produced one of the worst binoculars of hi end market of last years like the HT X54 and nothing happens.

At first could not believe what I was reading in this fórum about 8 and 10x54 HT models and i was amazed about star test pictures and reports from highly reputed people about this model but is a fact that lack of sharpness and huge amount of astigmatism is present in those models.

I an HUGE fan of Zeiss, not everyone collects old zeiss models as i do like 10x40 BGAT, 10X50 Oberkochen 25th special editions, CZJ 12X50 Nobilen etc etc.

But the fact is that other companies especially Swarovsky are now the market leader in optical technology with a very nice and fine products, and free of astigmatism.

Anyway astigmatism is something that Zeiss is very famous for it …

Now i am quite happy with my second unit of SF 8X42 and i already report my impression here to sum up:

Huge FOV and very natural lifelike color and contrast, nothing exagerated i mean colors of contrast, just a nice true to life view.

CA is very well suppressed but a small amounth od lateral CA can be seen but is not very pronounced NICE JOB !!!

Glare and stray light supperssion is top notch giving allways a very clear and trasparent view even in the worst conditions with a detailed and Sharp view, not like my previous SF unit.

As i mention before anothe área where SF excells is its 3D and pop on view as i already post here:

It has some of the character that only can be found in the best porro bins, Dimension are up there in the view,objects are not compressed as in other bins or telephoto camera lens, is just the view closer with this extra 3D effect,in fact meets some of the features of the best porro designs in its view.

Now what i dont like :

This is just personal taste, the view during bright and sunny days is too bright for me i still prefer the more contrasty view of my ultravids because they give a more easy recognize of details……just for me.

I still prefer the feeling of a more compact and a litte bit heavier instrument i like to feel a more Dense Bin as my Swarovski SV 10x42 fells in my hands because i am able despite its 10x magnification to get a more steady view, again just for me.

The last thing:

Globetrotter,

Don't feel bad, if you had criticized a Swarovski bin on these forums, particularly an SV EL, you might have been tarred and feathered and run out of town before sundown! Note the word "fan" is part of the word fanaticism. Coincidence?

You're correct in that Zeiss astigmatism has been brought up many times before including by Frank D. in his review of the 7x42-fl and denied by others who claim the edges suffer from field curvature not astigmatism (a fact that should, one would think, be easy to prove one way or the other). Astigmatism across the FOV rather than at the edges of a Zeiss bin is a horse of another color.

There are some members who feel that star tests don't amount to a hill of beans when it comes to terrestrial observing. However, one would think that astigmatism across the FOV would affect the sharpness of the image during daylight unlike with astigmatism in your eyes, which is more noticeable under poor lighting because your pupil opens wider exposing more of your uneven cornea. But optics principles aren't always intuitive, so I will let the experts weigh in on this.

Also, other members have reported the same thing about Zeiss FLs that you have about the SF, namely, that in certain lighting situations the brightness can overwhelm contrast. That's probably due to the light curve, which is boosted dramatically in the middle of the spectrum and falls off sharply in the red. If the SF follows that same pattern, it would make sense that you would find the image through your Ultravids more contrasty. You'd probably find the same thing is true with the Nikon EDG, that is, they provide more color contrast.

Finally, some members tend to shoot first and ask questions later when it comes to the "new guy" criticizing binoculars, thinking that they came on the forums with an "agenda," even if that is not the case (though occasionally, it is). People who have been posting for a while are more transparent in their likes and dislikes and although some do have "agendas," most people know all too well what they are!

So do keep on posting and use the Ignore feature if you get bugged too much by certain members.

Speaking of old Zeiss bins, I just found a "cache" of them on Deutsche Optik, but I don't have the "cash" to buy them (I would particularly like the 12x50 Nobilem Spezial):

Zeiss Oberkochens and Nobilems

Brock

Last edited:
I had a Leica Triniovid BN 12x50 once that I used mainly for stargazing, and it was very good except for a slight prism spiking in one side. It wasn't really noticeable on stars, excepting Venus and Sirius. Pretty bad on streetlights though, which I don't get a lot of mileage out of as a viewing target, but there it was. I thought it odd, since Leica's product literature at the time bragged that they cut the roof prism edge so that it was no broader than 0.1 mm. A not very sharp roof edge causes spiking. I was a tad disappointed.

After quite some experience with the binocular, I discovered a minute scratch on the eye lens of the questionable barrel. The spike was consistently perpendicular to that scratch, as diffraction would behave. And, if I positioned the exit pupil off of that scratch, the spike went away.

FWIW, that is the only alpha binocular of all three major brands that I've had that spiked in an annoying way, including two Zeiss FLs. A bad roof edge hangs out in an easy test. This is glass art pure and simple, not something that can be adjusted out. Quality here is not easy, but they better have it down, or something's amiss.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back