• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory SF - damaged or is this normal? (2 Viewers)

mgp13

Australia
My new Zeiss SF 8x42 have this weird effect I've only just noticed, I'm not sure if it was always there. Around the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions a white reflective outline appears, spanning about 10 degrees on both sides. I have looked at it from a variety of angles and it is definitely a reflection from the internal curved surface of the barrel just inside the lens. What it effectively means is the usual complete blackness that surrounds the circular image has two intrusions. I can make it more obvious by looking at certain angles but it's there in my periphery when my eyes are centered. I can't seem to reproduce this effect in any other binoculars I have at hand.

Is this normal or a known issue with Zeiss Victory SF or are they faulty/damaged. I did fall while using them today but I'm certain they didn't hit anything. I'm also quite sure I noticed the effect yesterday. Anyone able to help?

My new Zeiss SF 8x42 have this weird effect I've only just noticed, I'm not sure if it was always there. Around the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions a white reflective outline appears, spanning about 10 degrees on both sides. I have looked at it from a variety of angles and it is definitely a reflection from the internal curved surface of the barrel just inside the lens. What it effectively means is the usual complete blackness that surrounds the circular image has two intrusions. I can make it more obvious by looking at certain angles but it's there in my periphery when my eyes are centered. I can't seem to reproduce this effect in any other binoculars I have at hand.

Is this normal or a known issue with Zeiss Victory SF or are they faulty/damaged. I did fall while using them today but I'm certain they didn't hit anything. I'm also quite sure I noticed the effect yesterday. Anyone able to help?
Hello,

IMO is it lack of blackening!
I had the same problem with my first SF, then had it exchanged, the current glass no longer has it.

Andreas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back