• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

500f4 and 400f2.8 AFI lenses (1 Viewer)

swainsons

Hello All,

Long time since I have posted or been on this... Anyway. As you may know I have 400f2.8 AFI model and I have used it very succesfully with 1.4TC on my D7000.

I eventually took the plunge to D610 and magically a 500f4 AFI appears at an irresistable price, and at a magical 2+ kg lighter than the behemoth 6.6kg 400f2.8

I also have opportunity to put the 400 into a lens rental business, so that will generate some beer money.

Do you guys think its a mistake to go from 1 lens that is really magical to a lens that I dont really know?

The plus points for me is 1, the lesser weight and 2, the "extra" reach for the obvious step up to FX, I suspect I will use the 500 extensively with the 1.4TC, so sharpness from that combo must be top notch.

I realise they are older tech lenses but from what I can gather in the 500 f4 line up is that the optics are very very similiar.

All your commenst will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

I used to have a Nikon 500mm f4 and I found it just a bit too heavy to hand hold for more than a brief few seconds. Panning for birds in flight is easier than holding steady on a fixed subject.
I have since moved to Canon and the advantage of their new lightweight 500 is it's portability but you don't want to know that ! However, what I have come to realise is that the advantage of an f2.8 lens is the availability of focus points that you can use. Not sure what the score is with Nikon nowadays but certainly, a Canon 1D body with a 2.0x TC on an f4 lens is very limited with a maximum 5 being available. Theoretically, the 400mm f2.8 with a 2.0TC ( or 800mm) gives you the same AF performance as the 500mm with a 1.4TC ( or 700mm).
Nikon might be different but it's worth checking out.
There are of course times when you might want to stick a 2.0X on the 500mm when you have outreached the 400 by a not inconsiderable 20% but there again, in your part of the world I imagine atmospheric distortion comes in to play far more often than it does in the UK and that extra reach may well be rendered useless much of the time.

If you can afford it, go for it, especially if your 400mm is becoming a cash cow - klink bakgat.
I don't know your version, but the new 500mm AFS VR is a superb lens.
You'll enjoy the added reach and reduced weight.
;)

Which model 500mm f/4 are you looking at? I have the lightest of the bunch, the 500mm f/4 AF-S II version, which comes in at 3430g, which is almost half the weight of the 400mm AF-I. If you view my Flickr photostream the majority of my recent shots are with this lens, paired with either the D7100, D800E, or D810, mostly without a TC mounted, but occasionally with the TC-14E. Taking into account variations in personal strength and preference, I find the AF-S II version quite handholdable, and only set it up on a monopod if I'm going to be shooting in the same spot for more than a few minutes. Thus, about 90% of my shots with this lens are handheld. I usually stop down to f/5.6, although image quality is very good wide open at f/4.

For Nikon bodies, there is no specific advantage to f/2.8 vs. f/4 (i.e., the center focus point doesn't gain any sensitivity from mounting an f/2.8 lens, unlike on Canon). Obviously, there are light-collecting advantages to any f/2.8 lens.

As you probably know, compared to the 400mm f/2.8, the 500mm f/4 is going to be a bit longer, and a good bit narrower, so you might want to consider whether it'll fit in whatever bag or space you're using for your current lens.

I can go on for days about other aspects of this lens (handling, bag recommendations), but suffice it to say I'm completely satisfied with it. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about my experience with it.

Crazy crazy how life works. My mind not even made up either way yet, and next minute I have my 1st rental confirmed.

Wow, maybe this is an omen just to buy that 500f4 and finished.

Guess I can have a few "free" beers this weekend.

Regards

I use the 500mm f4 with 1.4x tc for most everything that needs a long lens. I'm shooting on a D800E most of the time but on rare occasion I'll get to stick it on the wife's D7100. On the cameras without the antialias filter, sharpness has been excellent. It's about all the lens I can lug around and shoot with some success off hand. The 500mm has never been on a tripod and I have hiked miles with it (several yesterday). Don't have a 400mm F2.8 to compare but I have shot the 500mm a LOT.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back