• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diptera and Weevil for id, please (1 Viewer)

Matt Prince

Sharkbait
OK this one is I hope an easy one (though I can't find it!). On the car down at the car park of Seaton marshes, Devon, end of April.

Attachments

• hoverfly.jpg
    hoverfly.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 55
Mesembrina meridiana, only english name I have heard is the Noon Day Fly. Not an uncommon fly it lays its eggs in cow dung!

Excellent thanks for that.

Doh - I forgot to post the weevil.. Lots of these fellows all over broad leaved dock. The picture's not great - but wondered if it was a dark apion sp. associated with docks.

Attachments

• dockweevil.jpg
    dockweevil.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 50
Excellent thanks for that.

Doh - I forgot to post the weevil.. Lots of these fellows all over broad leaved dock. The picture's not great - but wondered if it was a dark apion sp. associated with docks.

difficult from these,but best-fit is Apion pomonae, elytra can be greeny-slaty blue...

Thanks for that, figured it was probably a big ask considering the poor images.
I looked at a proper picture on the wild about denmark and it looks about right, they were all over the place on the docks. I'm struggling with the scale of some of these beasties....and having no literature and no experience. I'll put it down as probable apion pomonae to go alongside probable apion frumentarium. Or red weevil, and a green weevil if I'm being honest :)

Ah-ha. Thanks Ficedula.. As Einstein said 'make everything in life as simple as possible, but no simpler'. The docks were swarming with the little blighters so I'd assume they are closely linked with the flower type. Is there anywhere on the that lists the associations between UK weevils and flora/food source?

And I love the 'everything list' tag - much better than my 'holistic year-list'.

I assume the weevils are a difficult group - I think I'm going to concentrate my coleoptera based efforts on the easier/better documented groups !

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back