• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What trousers do you wear in the current UK cold snap? (2 Viewers)

Thrupenney Bit

United Kingdom
Morning all.
Last week I was out and about, the car thermometer registered 2C in the car park and the wind coming down the estuary was bitter, the wind chill must have dropped it below zero.
I confess I didn't last long, my fingerless mittens meant the tips of my fingers hurt, and when carrying tripod etc. I couldn't put my hands in my pockets so after a quick nose about I headed for home. With the heated car seat on!
I, like the birds seen, went and hunkered down.

I've ordered some fingerless mittens with a flap over the fingers to allow fine control of my fingers but keep the tips out of the wind.
But... my 'normally ok' walking trousers were not ok in such conditions, especially the biting wind.
I have tried since wearing a pair of cycling tights under the trousers which though kept out the wind, was uncomfortable to wear.

I know the current low temperatures in the UK are about to change, but nevertheless, I'm sure there's more cold weather on the way.
Therefore, what trousers do you wear in a cold biting wind?
Name names!!

I have a pair of cargo trousers I bought some years ago, they have a fleecy lining. I can't remember where I bought them now, but they seem to be of very good quality. Kept me cosy in -15C temps in Lithuania.

Think I may have got them in Tunbridge Wells and something to do with Lake District stores (name like that).... someone will know the name.

I have a pair of cargo trousers I bought some years ago, they have a fleecy lining. I can't remember where I bought them now, but they seem to be of very good quality. Kept me cosy in -15C temps in Lithuania.

Think I may have got them in Tunbridge Wells and something to do with Lake District stores (name like that).... someone will know the name.
Ah... thanks.
Lined trousers seem to be a sensible thing and something I should track down.

I did try on some Paramo Cascada trousers on a whim just to see what they were like before Christmas, thinking a waterproof trouser that isn't a boil in the bag overtrouser might be something nice in the Christmas stocking.
I thought they were 'too much of a trouser' for me as they too had a lining, but in this recent weather I'm wondering if I was too hasty...

Craghoppers Kiwi lined trousers for me. They might feel a bit like 'too much' trouser initially but soon prove their worth. Or a pair of merino long johns under normal trousers.

Layering ...

A pair of basic waterproof trousers over the top will cut out the windchill. When I was volunteering back when there was one guy who swore by wearing a pair of (women's) tights under his work trousers.

I have a pair of lined walking trousers from Decathlon, they are almost too warm if I’m moving around lots but great for hides or standing still (e.g. on an estuary).
I've had success with the layering with waterproof trousers idea too.

You need to stop infiltration (wind) in order for any insulation to be truly effective. A pair of windproof trousers (outdoor shop) with a thermal base layer (wool or poly) will take you down to zero if moderately active. If sitting (as in a hide) then get some puffy pants - down or poly.

For hands, I wear very light liners under fingerless gloves with fold-back mitts. That way if I do need to expose fingertips, I still have something on exposed skin. I need the mitts to really keep my fingers warm. I've also used good liner/shell combos but find that unless active, my fingers eventually chill. So for XC skiing, or ice-climbing that works, but for standing looking at waterfowl in frozen lake, I need the mitts.

I would always go with multiple layers over a single thick layer. A pair of fleece or Marino wool leggings will set you back a lot less than a new pair of trousers. If you find yourself in a warm post-birding pub/cafe rather than sitting there sweating you can slip into the loos and divest yourself of your long-johns.

Thanks all for your replies.
Layering always makes sense, and I tried it with my cycling tights though they proved a tad uncomfortable.
I have seen people donning overtrousers, notably when I was retreating from my cold walk the other day. I noticed people layering up with waterproof overstrousers, with the added bonus of keeping dry if it turns into rain.

I've just returned from a short amble around the wetland really to try out my new mitts with a flap over to cut the wind.
They worked very well. It was barely 3C and a biting wind and I was ok.

Before I left I remembered I had some cheap work trousers bought from Lidls on the recommendation of a gardening friend who works outside in all weathers. They are lined, and I thought I'd give them a go.
They worked a treat, despite a biting wind.
I will keep an eye out for the Craghopper Kiwi's and also any other lined walking trouser when next in town in the outdoor shops, but to be fair these work trousers were very warm!

Layering ...

A pair of basic waterproof trousers over the top will cut out the windchill. When I was volunteering back when there was one guy who swore by wearing a pair of (women's) tights under his work trousers.
my dad wore tights under his jeans when working on the M62 construction swore by them

Yes it is an idea of layering.
I once tried it when diving in a wetsuit. It was horrible taking the wetsuit off, incredible cold suddenly hits you.
I won't mention the looks I got!!!

Layering ...

When I was volunteering back when there was one guy who swore by wearing a pair of (women's) tights under his work trousers.
I often wear running tights, which admittedly are rather different. I switch to 'proper' thermal long john things when it's very cold (by UK standards) but I often find them too warm if I'm walking.

Definitely layering and that works with gloves too. I have a pair of silk gloves that I wear under fingerless gloves, they're fine enough to allow me to work a camera and even a touch screen with them on. It's also good to have gloves which are quite long and cover the wrists, my fingerless gloves go to about the middle of my forearms and are much warmer than standard short gloves. On really cold days I'll wear the silk gloves under a pair of thick windproof and waterproof gloves.

Craghoppers kiwi lined stretch trousers are great, but I find I get cold at the ankles so either wear leg warmers under the trousers, or I wear thinner trousers with fleece-lined thermal leggings under them. I'm in Aviemore and we regularly get down to minus 10C and all of these work well. I also have Paramo waterproof trousers and wear them over the leggings if it's cold and wet.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I've just bought some angler's fingerless mitts with a flap and today they've been fine at cutting the wind. I think I could wear my thin fingerless mitts under them, might be worth a try. I might have some glove liners from my cycling days... must rootle round in the garage.
I'm certainly not faced with minus 10C here, I'm much nearer the Equator, in Devon! though it has been unusually cold these last week or two and the wind is what we describe as a lazy wind. It doesn't go round you, just straight through ;)

I think the overall advice is simply layer up all over - core, legs, head and don't forget your hands.

For your hands a lot of people are using rechargeable hand warmers. There are a lot of different models out there so would be worth reading reviews. I also use those mitts for their warmth and versatility. The great thing with the hand warmers is the fact that you can switch them on and off or put them in a pocket switched on when not warming your hands.

Ah yes, good tip.
We bought our daughter some handwarmers for Christmas, and got a text the other night saying how pleased she was using them on a night shift.
I will ask her!

Layering for me too! I go thermal tights, leggings then some sort of over trousers if it is chilly. btw I would highly recommend fingerless gloves with an ”over mitten”. I have a pair with Velcro to fasten up the mitten part when using bins/camera etc..

Layering for me too! I go thermal tights, leggings then some sort of over trousers if it is chilly. btw I would highly recommend fingerless gloves with an ”over mitten”. I have a pair with Velcro to fasten up the mitten part when using bins/camera etc..
I've just today tried some fingerless mittens with a flap over the fingers, they worked a treat by simply cutting the wind.
Took me ages to find some, but glad I've sourced them.

I think my pull-on waterproof trousers will need to be dug out of the garage. Cutting the wind seems to give a substantial boost to my comfort!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back