• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back at last!!!! (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

Hello everyone,

At last I'm back with you all after a fabulous fortnight in the Highlands and then frustratingly PC problems which meant I couldn't get on-line.....all sorted now thought!!

I don't know where to start except to say that the Highlands were all and much,much more than we had expected!

The mountains were magnificent,the Lochs mirrored them superbly and the seas were the azure blue that you'd expect to see in the Caribbean.....everything was quite stunning!!

I'll not bore you all with the all everyday trips of our visit but suffice to say we were delighted with all we saw!!

The highlight had to be a mother Otter and her 2 young cubs playing,feeding and then sleeping in the shores of Loch Eil on the actual day of our silver wedding anniversary....what a gift it was too as she let us watch them for over an hour as they went about their daily routines.We certainly felt very humbled and honoured to be given such a wonderful sight on such a special day for us.....certainly one we'll never forget!

We saw another Otter (a dog this time) on our trip to Mull later in the week and if you add to this the Red Deer,Red Squirrels,Golden Eagle,Black Grouse,Slavonian Grebe,Great Northern Diver,Black Guillemot,Ospreys and a stunning (though very distant and elusive) male Capercaille I think you'll agree we were very fortunate indeed!!

Below are a few pics.The Otter one was my fault as in my excitement I forgot to change the setting on the camera.....but they are all there on the rock if you look carefully!!!! And the Capercaille was just too far away and buried in foliage but you can just make out the red above his eye if you use your imagination!!! lol!! The Ospreys have since laid 2 eggs and though it is a little late in the season the staff there are hopeful of a successful rearing!

All in all a wonderfully exciting holiday and Scotland is absolutely amazing as you just never know what is around the next bend!!!:D

Nice to be back with you all,
Best wishes,

Attachments

• zoomed Otter and cubs.jpg
    zoomed Otter and cubs.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Male Capercaille zoomed.jpg
    Male Capercaille zoomed.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 43
  • female Osprey .jpg
    female Osprey .jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 43
  • male Osprey 3 zoomed.jpg
    male Osprey 3 zoomed.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Slav Grebe 1.jpg
    Slav Grebe 1.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 39
What a lovely time you had Ruth. Really lucky with the Otters, I've only had rather fleeting views of them.

Aren't Slavonian Grebes the most beatiful creatures?

D

Hi Ruth.
Welcome back. What a great time you seem to have had. Some of your sightings are to die for, especially the Otters, and what a cracking pic of the Osprey surveying his territory. If you got any more pics, I for one would love to see them.
I don't know on which date your anniversary fell, but I do wish you both many, many more years together..

All the very best.
Baz.

Welcome back Ruth and delighted to see you had a great holiday. Osprey, Otter, Capercaille, Slav...what didn't you see! lol. Look forward to more pics :t:

Ray

Hi Ruth welcome back. Glad you had such a great time. I for one hope you tell us a bit more of where you went.

Hi Ruth,
Welcome home, and congratulations on your wedding aniversary, your post brings back all the magic that is Scotland, Capercaillie are particularly difficut to get a picture of,and |I think you did well to get one at all.
George

Nice to have you back Ruth!

I would love to see otters like that, to me they are so fascinating, smooth, gentle and happy creatures. I did see them off Skye one year, but not for the length of time you were fortunate enough to enjoy with them.

More pics would be good......please!

It's wonderful to have you back, dear Ruth - BIENVENUE !!! o:)

You did indeed have a wonderful holiday, with all those lovely sightings... now I wonder if you and Howard found any spare time for anything else.... ;) ;) (know what I mean?) :-O

Glad the trip was such a success, dear friend! :t:

Love and a welcome-back hug -

Hi Ruth,

What a smashing Wedding Anniversary trip. Never seen the Otters so chalk one for you.

What a great shot of the Osprey! Like Baz, any more?

Bill

Hi Ruth

Good to see you back with us. Glad you had such a wonderful trip. Going to that area of course means that there is little doubt that your trip would be anything, but great. Nice one/s with the Otters.

take care

Good to see you back safely, Ruth, and thank you for sharing your trip with us. It sounds as though you had a lovely time, and super pics too.

Welcome back my dear friend, it's good to have you back. I can't echo Linda's wishes as I haven't a clue what she's talking about.:hippy: ;) I'm glad you both had a great Anniversary on the Monday. Many more years of marital bliss!

You were very lucky with some of your views and I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the scenery up there so much. Good photos of the Osprey on the tree branch, a shame about the camera setting though with the Otters.

All best wishes,

Sue.

Hi Ruth Nice to see youi back, sounds like a fantastic trip, great way to celebrate your anniversary,. I have never seen a Capercaille so really envy you that sighting. We have kept an eye on Cheshire for you.

Good Birding Peter

Great to see you back safe and sound Ruth after what must have been quite a holiday, and such lovely photos too! The Osprey looks awesome:t:

Belated 'Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary' wishes from me, and I am sure this is one Anniversary you will never forget!

Congratulations to you both RuthB :) :flowers:

Welcome back Ruth. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves, it sounds as though you had a fantastic time. Otters, Capercaille, Ospeys!!! I am green!! Positively green!!;) Thanks for sharing it and the pics.

Best wishes

Thanks to you all for your replies and welcomes.
I'll post some scenic pics in another post and maybe Roy will be able to view those???
Best wishes,

. I can't echo Linda's wishes as I haven't a clue what she's talking about.:hippy: ;) I'm glad you both had a great Anniversary on the Monday. Many more years of marital bliss!
Sue.

Ooooh, Sue, I'm SURE you know what I meant! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Imagine if it had been you and Terry on your second honeymoon, I mean, would you REALLY have spent ALL your time watching the birdies? lol !!!! :loveme: o:D

Bill and Sue - the weekend show went fantastically well (even though I wasn't Stage Director this time) - full report to follow for both of you! :cool:

Love and hugs from Bruxelles

Hi Ruth, Welcome Back.
Your trip sounded wonderful, I'm glad you managed to celebrate your anniversary in such a fantastic way. Many Congratulations to you both.

Your report is very exciting, what a great variety of wildlife. The Osprey is absolutely awesome, well caught Ruth.

The pics are great Ruth, looking forward to more details of your trip.

Great to have you back with us.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back