• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NYC (Queens), NY, November (1 Viewer)

greenwood

Dear All,

This is my first fall as a beginning birder. It's been lovely to see how much life there is, even through the fall. One frequent visitor to my neighborhood throughout November has been a thrush (picture below, taken Nov. 7, 2014 or thereabouts). Could you help me identify which kind of thrush?

Thank you all for your help!

Attachments

• thrush 2 resized.jpg
    thrush 2 resized.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 98
  • thrush 1 resized.jpg
    thrush 1 resized.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 98
Hi Greenwood,

It's a Hermit Thrush; note the rufous tail, and eye-ring.

This is also the only one of the "spotted" thrushes that you are likely to see in the NE U.S.A. in November; all the other species will be in Central or South America by now.

Peter c.

Hi! The contrast between the reddish tail and the brown back indicates an Hermit thrush. In addition, it's the only one of the similar brown thrushes species to remain in north america in winter, by the end of november I think the other species would be be less likely to occur.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back