• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x42 BGAT (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Anyone come across a new pair anywhere? I am living in Stockholm and have tried the lot here with no joy..

My pair were nicked and have not been able to track another one down since they were discontinued..

I understand why you like the 7x42 BGAT - i've used one, but at those prices you may want to consider the 7x42 FL - optics just as good or better, less weight, smaller size, 100% waterproof. Butter smooth focuser, too.
You'll get used to an FL in a few hours, and, voila, big love all over again.

Luca said:
I understand why you like the 7x42 BGAT - i've used one, but at those prices you may want to consider the 7x42 FL - optics just as good or better, less weight, smaller size, 100% waterproof. Butter smooth focuser, too.
You'll get used to an FL in a few hours, and, voila, big love all over again.
I agree, Luca. I owned a 7x42 Classic and it is a phenominal binocular optically but I would not spend $1000+ to get them back. Specifically, the newer glass and coatings of the FL result in higher contrast, more neutral colors and better flare resistance than even the most recent "Classic" with T* and P* coatings. Unless you are stuck on the retro styling, the FL is the superior instrument for all the reasons Luca sites.

Be warned...these go for crazy prices on e-bay. Lots better bins out there these days but the old faithfuls will disagree with me (says he with his 25 year old b*gts)

John.

I have no vested interest in promoting one model over the other, I like them both alot, but I must say that unlike some of the previous posters, I actually prefer the 7x42 Classic over the FL. I MUCH prefer the ergonomics of the Classic because its narrow tubes and virtually bridgeless design allow a wrap- around grip. In direct comparison (under a limited set of conditions--inside Cabela's looking around the store, at bright lights and front doors/windows), I also found the optics of the Classic much more to my liking. The FL has a much flatter field than the Classic, but the deterioration in sharpness away from the center is mostly due to astigmatism in the FL whereas it is due to field curvature in the Classic. As a consequence, in use, I found the image of the Classic much more restful, and its sweet spot MUCH larger (but note: my eyes still have much accomodation ability). I find the color rendering of the Classic to be much closer to neutral than many other excellent binos (Leica BN, older Swarovski SLC, Swarovski EL) so I don't think there is anything compellingly better about the FL. I also found the flare resistance of the Classic and FL to be different but comparable (they had different strengths and weaknesses), and I consider the contrast of both to be better than most other premium binos.

Would I replace my Classics? The quasi-collector me would--they're one of the great binos of all time, a true classic. The birder me wouldn't--I'd get the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL (newer faster focus version) instead.
--AP

Alexis Powell said:
I have no vested interest in promoting one model over the other, I like them both alot, but I must say that unlike some of the previous posters, I actually prefer the 7x42 Classic over the FL. I MUCH prefer the ergonomics of the Classic because its narrow tubes and virtually bridgeless design allow a wrap- around grip. In direct comparison (under a limited set of conditions--inside Cabela's looking around the store, at bright lights and front doors/windows), I also found the optics of the Classic much more to my liking. The FL has a much flatter field than the Classic, but the deterioration in sharpness away from the center is mostly due to astigmatism in the FL whereas it is due to field curvature in the Classic. As a consequence, in use, I found the image of the Classic much more restful, and its sweet spot MUCH larger (but note: my eyes still have much accomodation ability). I find the color rendering of the Classic to be much closer to neutral than many other excellent binos (Leica BN, older Swarovski SLC, Swarovski EL) so I don't think there is anything compellingly better about the FL. I also found the flare resistance of the Classic and FL to be different but comparable (they had different strengths and weaknesses), and I consider the contrast of both to be better than most other premium binos.

Would I replace my Classics? The quasi-collector me would--they're one of the great binos of all time, a true classic. The birder me wouldn't--I'd get the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL (newer faster focus version) instead.
--AP

Thank you all for your input. I have indeed checked out the new FL version and agree they are a stunning piece of equipment and a real option. I have had an offer of an apparently pristine pair of classics from a forum member at a good price which will save me a sizeable amount of money, so now have some thinking to do before taking the plunge...
Any more info on anyone who has used both the classics and the FL would be most welcome...

john barclay said:
Be warned...these go for crazy prices on e-bay. Lots better bins out there these days but the old faithfuls will disagree with me (says he with his 25 year old b*gts)

John.

The pair on e-bay are now £650 + PP with two days still to go. I must say that they are in great condition and boxed but not worth £650, and it hasn't ended yet.

Save yer money and go for the newer models.

John.

I have just been lent a pair by Anthony Mcgeehan having told him I like ten times mag he lent me these and I am very impressed. I am also in the market for a new pair and at the moment am looking at swaro 8.5 by 42 or zeiss fl 8 by 42.

love my 7x42 classics

incredibly hard wearing - fell off car roof at 60 mph... optically superb still, been everywhere, never a problem.

you can get them on ebay... but as John says... pricey (people love them and will pay) for them!

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back