• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory Pocket owners...focus wheel tightness? (3 Viewers)

chipito

United States
I've been a very happy owner of the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 for about a year and a half now and just had the diopter knob come off. I am in the states and sent it to their repair facility that's in Kentucky and they immediately sent what seems to be a new pair back to me. However the focus wheel is much tighter to turn than it was on my original pair. I can turn it with one finger but it takes some effort while my old pair glided beautifully.

My question for any other owners out there...could this possibly be a difference in how they are manufacturing them? The serial number on my old pair started with 1114 while this new pair is 4987 so if that's an indicator of manufacture date perhaps something changed in their process?

The diopter knob is much tighter, too, although I regard that as an upgrade because my old one would change its setting every time I took the bins out of my pocket or the case that I use. My memory may be wrong, but I also thought on my old pair that the diopter knob went above the bridge of the bins by a millimeter or two where on this replacement pair it is just about flush with the bridge (if this is indeed a design change then it's also an improvement).

I'm probably going to send these back for a replacement because of the focus wheel tightness but wanted to check first what your experiences may be. One of the joys of the old pair for me was how smooth and easy they were to focus!

Last edited:
Mine are no longer with me, and I guess an older model in the series. but the diopter was my one criticism, it did drift, and was protruding.
Focus wheel was light and easy.

Thanks for the responses! I went ahead and called the repair center today and they told me that 1) serial numbers are randomized and 2) I should wait and see if it gets any better, so I'm going to give it a week. But right now it just feels too tight.

Thanks for the responses! I went ahead and called the repair center today and they told me that 1) serial numbers are randomized and 2) I should wait and see if it gets any better, so I'm going to give it a week. But right now it just feels too tight.
I agree. When you are watching TV, get the binoculars and run the focus stop to stop for a while for maybe several days. See if that helps

. . . I went ahead and called the repair center today and they told me that 1) serial numbers are randomized and 2) I should wait and see if it gets any better . . .

Well that's an interesting comment!
The implication being that Zeiss doesn't want their customers to be able to tell when a product they purchase was manufactured
(and by extension if there's a defect and then an update, from when it was corrected).

However, the person may have been just winging it - especially when considered in conjunction with the medical advice -
just wait and see if the problem cures itself 🤷‍♂️

John

My first pair of 8x25s got the diopter know coming off (and another issue with the focus wheel)...these issues developed over time, I sent them back for repair and got a new pair.

A few months later, the new pair developed a different issue...the central hinge (?) became loose and the binocs were opening and closing on their own (I dont know if I am describing this well)...I sent them for repair, got a new pair.

The current pair has not developed any issue yet. I have had them for about 1 year.

Not sure whether this goes here or there...

Recently returned VP825s to Zeiss/KY for "service." Issue was too soft central hinge that required adjusting IPD every time I brought bino to eyes, while hiking. This was not something that had developed, but there from the get go, when purchased couple years ago, that I finally decided to deal with.

I shipped July 12, 2023. Brand new replacement arrived yesterday July 24! Central hinge better. Believe its gonna be fine. Focuser a bit stiffer but smooth, lovely. Optics great as usual.

In some of the reviews of the various new SFLs there's been concern raised about service do to MIJ. Seems this potentially a non issue based on VPs also MIJ.

My update is that the focus has loosened up a little over time (though nowhere near the smoothness of my original pair) and I'd rather just deal with it than be without them again hahahaha. Maybe when my folding hinge breaks the replacement will fix the focus knob. New pair is great otherwise. I love these so much.

Mine has always had a very smooth focuser with the right amount of resistance. The diopter dial is a little too easy to move by mistake but it doesn't happen very often, the top of the diopter dial is flush with the chassis. S/N starts 5299 and it was bought a few months ago.

This is my 8x day birding/utility/travel binocular and it does this job very well with a sharpness, brightness and FOV that is quite special for such a small optic. Winged rubber eye cups make quite a difference to both ease of use and image quality.

The VP 8x25 has been one of my most often used bins over the @ last 5 years.Focus function has always been very smooth with just the right amount of resistance, perfectly consistent in either direction and this has not changed over time.

The hinge tension may have loosened up a bit over time but if so, it is still very easy to accurately adjust when needed. Since I carry it on a RYO harness, rather than in a large pocket, the IPD does not usually change unintentionally in use and adjustment is not often necessary. Lately I have been using UV and Trinovid 8x20 quite a bit as well. The Leicas have stiffer dual hinges and it may be I am just noticing the difference between them and the Zeiss VP rather than any real change over time in the hinge tension of the Zeiss.

Mike

Just came back to report that the focus wheel did loosen up somewhat over time. But also...the diopter wheel came off on this pair now, too hahahaha. And the diopter setting is messed up on the replacement pair I just received (I wear contacts and the last two pairs were perfect for me right with the neutral setting). I'm sure they will replace but makes me worry about quality control over there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back