• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL internal check after 15 years of use? (1 Viewer)

Saxatilis

Hi all
I own a pair of Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL from mid-2009. I have been using estensively during raptor migration counts (three periods of 12 days/year) and just little more throughout the years.
The binoculars have been used but always well treated, they have never fallen or taken any serious blows. However, I was wondering if the time might have come for an internal "physiological" check of the optical and mechanical parts (or for an internal cleaning) after a long period of use or if instead it is not the case with this kind of binoculars: previously I had two Dialyt 7x42 BGATs and due to the different structure I realize that this care could have been appropriate. With the Victory now I am more in doubt and I ask the owners if they have eventually had similar experiences and how they dealt with this.
Thank you

Last edited:
Sounds like your trusty 7x42s are due for a service. Internal cleaning, lube controls, new seals, nitrogen fill, etc. My first step would be to contact Zeiss; they may perform the service at low or no charge to your.

My mother has got a Leica 8x32BA. She got it in 1992, and she has been using it a lot. That pair has never been serviced. Never. My sister is still using a Zeiss Dialyt 10x40BGAT*P on a daily basis. Same story. I also never sent any of my pairs for a service.

I'd only send a binocular for a service if there is a clearly identifiable problem. Binoculars are not like cars that need to be serviced on a regular basis.

Hermann

Last edited:
I would disagree.
I looked through a well used old BN a while back, having remembered what spectacular binoculars they were, and I was seriously underwhelmed.
It was only by chance, that I saw a pair in a shop, just back from Leica for clean and service, that I tried again.
The difference was huge, so much so that I bought the 'serviced' pair on the spot.
They may also need to be filled and newly sealed at that age.... i don't know.
But I believe cleaning and servicing is required, from time to time.
Perhaps one of our service experts on here would put their opinion forward.

I would disagree.
I looked through a well used old BN a while back, having remembered what spectacular binoculars they were, and I was seriously underwhelmed.
It was only by chance, that I saw a pair in a shop, just back from Leica for clean and service, that I tried again.
The difference was huge, so much so that I bought the 'serviced' pair on the spot.
I have send two BN’s for service and yes it was a huge difference when they came back but i only did this after they had issues. On the other hand if i had an old (20 years plus) binocular and i had to use it on an expedition or for my work and it would be my only bin (will never happen haha) then i might send them in as a precaution. But in general i agree with Hermann that it is not necessary but maybe it is wiser to give them a service after 15/20 years. I have an old Leitz 6x24 that needs a service but that one is more then 40 years old. And i have an old Leitz 7x35 that absolutely doesn’t need service so it depends the state of the bino i guess.

Hi all
I own a pair of Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL from mid-2009. I have been using estensively during raptor migration counts (three periods of 12 days/year) and just little more throughout the years.
The binoculars have been used but always well treated, they have never fallen or taken any serious blows. However, I was wondering if the time might have come for an internal "physiological" check of the optical and mechanical parts (or for an internal cleaning) after a long period of use or if instead it is not the case with this kind of binoculars: previously I had two Dialyt 7x42 BGATs and due to the different structure I realize that this care could have been appropriate. With the Victory now I am more in doubt and I ask the owners if they have eventually had similar experiences and how they dealt with this.
Thank you
I also have a Victory FL 7x42 that was build in 2007 (3085705). It’s still in good working order but I don’t do heavy field work with it so maybe you should ask Zeiss what they think and keep us informed.

I would disagree.
Hermann's (valid) point was that bins don't need periodic service if nothing seems wrong with them. Yours is a different one: that one might return from service in even better adjustment than before, as I too saw recently in my own BN -- which is to say that there was indeed something subtly wrong. This is a possibility to bear in mind, but also rather a gamble. Such a slight problem might actually not get addressed (especially with no complaint), as it clearly wasn't the previous time my BN was serviced to remove an internal speck, ~9 years ago; in fact it could even have been created during that reassembly, as I wasn't doing careful sharpness comparisons back then. So the idea of getting well functioning bins serviced in the hope they might benefit somehow is unconvincing.

The only reason I would suggest servicing a binocular is because you have a visible problem, e.g. scratches on ocular lenses, or a problem with e.g. armour.

However, that was before I actually allowed my trusty 7x42T*FL to be send to Germany for a service, after I had an armour problem: it turned out my focuser was bend a bit (from all those travels, sitting in a backpack I often use as a pillow), so they had to fix that and could only do so opening the thing, refilling it with nitrogen,...

What could have happened with the Leicas above is they changed lenses (with more transmission etc)? I don't think Zeiss will go that far to replace lenses, unless they are scratched /damaged, and probably at cost and not free.

It kinda depends. If the raptor watching you do involves getting up to a good watchpoint and sitting/scanning for hours, the binos aren't running the risk of getting bashed against rocks/trees as they might if you were employing them in more difficult terrain. And if you're using a 7x, you probably don't even need to focus much, even though you may be looking through the binoculars more than a lot of regular birding - so the mechanism isn't being worked back and forth. The main thing I'd be concerned about with a sealed binocular is the integrity of seals/O-rings etc. But if a problem hasn't manifested itself, I'd be inclined to wait till it does. At the 2022 (I think) Birdfair I gave my old Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 (P model) to Gary Hawkins and asked his opinion whether it needed a service. He took a look, tried the focus wheel, and handed it back to me saying "No".

My own FL 7X42...is a non-Lotutec model. The FLs came out in 2004 I think and Lotutec started in 2006. So my FL 7X42 is a 2004 or 2005 model. I can't believe it's 20 years old. It's been used a lot by me and I bought it at LEAST second hand. It's still in perfect working order and pretty close to perfect cosmetically. My feeling is....I'm not about to send it back for any reason other than it develops an issue that I can't live with. I have found that sometimes I get things back after repair with more/other issues.

IMG_3005.JPG

Thanks for all your answers, varied and useful. For the moment I keep my Victory 7x42 T* FL that I have cleaned today after my last raptor count (another will take place in May) and I will not send it for service ; in the meantime I had inquired about possible ways to get it to Zeiss service in Germany from Italy.

Last edited:
Zeiss service (in the UK at least) is second to none, and I sent mine in after accidentally damaging the strap holder just over 3 years ago - the bins were reconditioned by Zeiss (new armour, badge, internal clean) with work carried out free under warranty. If they haven't been serviced before, and you can do without them for a few weeks I'd recommend a service just to ensure they are still functioning perfectly - with careful use, there is no reason why they shouldn't last a lifetime.
I suspect mine will have to be returned for another service fairly soon, as they've seen a bit of use again post - Covid... IMG_20240401_134342.jpg

I would disagree.
I had a BA a while back that had served me well for a very long time. But when I wanted to sell them I realised there was a fine layer of fungus or something similar inside. But I then sold them with the corresponding reduction in price. They were still very well usable. My several Zeiss FLs all don't show any such traces inside, though they are only about have as old. Anyway, I think Leica has not been as strict with their claim of being waterproof in the past.

Servicing without having anything that bothers you is a waste of money, with the added risk of getting problems because the seal had to be broken.

I would definitely have them checked by East Coast binocular if you can't trust an authorised Zeiss service (the only one in the UK.) who can you trust.
If there is something they cannot do they will send them to Zeiss in Germany
If you are unsure give Gary a ring it may not cost anything but the call to put your mind at rest as long as you have something to use. I was certainly not disappointed.

Hi,

another vote for the don't fix what is not broken party... reasons being:

• risk of loss or damage during shipping - even insured no fun due to paperwork...
  • unnecessary cost - either for you or the manufacturer - and that means all of us - either by a price hike or just all repairs taking a bit longer...
  • don't we send enough parcels across the globe already for better reasons - and thus destroying nature big time?

Joachim, who would of course get a pair with problems fixed... although my Zeiss pairs work perfectly fine.

I had a BA a while back that had served me well for a very long time. But when I wanted to sell them I realised there was a fine layer of fungus or something similar inside. But I then sold them with the corresponding reduction in price. They were still very well usable. My several Zeiss FLs all don't show any such traces inside, though they are only about have as old. Anyway, I think Leica has not been as strict with their claim of being waterproof in the past.

Servicing without having anything that bothers you is a waste of money, with the added risk of getting problems because the seal had to be broken.
Strange response really.
So your Leica BA's were compromised inside to the point that you had to sell them cheaply to compensate.

Perhaps if you had got them serviced, say after 10 years or so, to have them re-filled, and sealed and generally checked over....
Mmmmm:unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back