• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird Malheur, Oregon, USA (1 Viewer)

Can anyone explain what appears to be a shadow from the branch on the tail? I can see this bird from the front and back. Something about this still says from the front to me...and a lot of it is that shadow.

Good trick photography....:) if you place it in elements and blow it up, even though it is poor pixel quality, it looks to be from the back....but on first glance, yes, the front'

unknown bird. the bird i saw did not have any color on head or body, but shiny
dark black. size small like house rein. bright florescent yellow/orange under 2/3rds way down through to inside bottom tail. bright color on flight! the bird before flight appears only to be all shiny black all over until flight!

thank you, spike1981o:) o:D

unknown bird.

Thank you all for your time on sorting this out. After re-examining this photo (and a few others of very poor quality) I agree that the view is of the bird backside (my wife still maintains it is a front view). It is hard to understand why the tail appears all black; lighting maybe? Also, is it possible that this is a hybrid oriole?

Regards, BillB

i was on more than 6 feet from bird, beautiful. bird has visited feeder twice. i am trying to capture photo on return to feeder!

thank you, spike1981

Can anyone explain what appears to be a shadow from the branch on the tail? I can see this bird from the front and back. Something about this still says from the front to me...and a lot of it is that shadow.

I know what you mean, it also threw me off. But that shadow is not from the branch on which the bird is perched. To the left of the bird there is a small branch pointing to the left (of the viewer), that little branch has a small companion that points a bit to the right, somewhat downwards and out of the plane of the picture. The shadow on the tail comes from that 2nd small branch which provides further evidence that we are seeing the backside of the bird. Notice the shadow of the left branch on the bird too.

Dalcio

I'm traveling so my monitor is ---- not great. But with all due respect, even without being able to view the pic well, this is seems to be a frontal shot of a young barn swallow.

Juvie barn swallows do not have the "swallow tail" yet and they have a broad dark breast band. Barn swallows are also breeding by the merry kerjillions in the barn at P Ranch.

Cannot spend tons of time searching - but this barn swallow image should explain all the field marks we see in the pictured bird.

http://naturalistsnote.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/bearing-up-in-new-york-city/barn-swallows/

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back