• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray bird in box (1 Viewer)

Vg. And by #12 it's changed. And, unless that nest-box is gigantic, the bird is clearly not bigger than a typical sparrow.
Just out of interest, what does Vg. mean?

Not sure what you mean by #12 it's changed - the OP says 'at least sparrow sized' , which is essentially the same thing? Both posts were edited, but not long after at all.

I'd agree that's it's about a sparrow-sized bird, if that's what you're saying ... ;-)

To clarify - I believe it’s larger than a sparrow, but definitely not smaller than a sparrow. It may be sparrow sized but I can’t be sure. My initial impressions was that it was between sparrow and robin sized. I’m sorry for the confusion.

I see that your school-teachers weren't into short-hand comments on your work... or maybe you never did anything that was VG... ☹️😉 (Apologies for my earlier sloppy capitalization.)
'at least sparrow sized' , which is essentially the same thing?
No, it's not. And the full quote is:
At least sparrow size, maybe more.
(my italics) which has (rightly, as we now see) softened a lot from the apparent 'larger than a sparrow' certainty of #1.
I'd agree that's it's about a sparrow-sized bird, if that's what you're saying
I'm saying what I said. But, to expand, the photos clearly suggest a bird smaller than a typical sparrow in both bulk and length - and I'm happy that the OP is mistaken in her/his assessment of size. Mistakes in size-assessment are very very common, even in experienced observers; we see them almost daily in these columns.

I see that your school-teachers weren't into short-hand comments on your work... or maybe you never did anything that was VG... ☹️😉 (Apologies for my earlier sloppy capitalization.)

No, it's not. And the full quote is:

(my italics) which has (rightly, as we now see) softened a lot from the apparent 'larger than a sparrow' certainty of #1.

I'm saying what I said. But, to expand, the photos clearly suggest a bird smaller than a typical sparrow in both bulk and length - and I'm happy that the OP is mistaken in her/his assessment of size. Mistakes in size-assessment are very very common, even in experienced observers; we see them almost daily in these columns.
Ha, too cryptic for me, and quite a long while back that I was at school that I don't really recall the marking procedures. I seem to recall stars, and different coloured inks. I assumed it was replying to me (it was not a direct quote and on a different page after all), but unsure whether it was or not, what vg meant, and whether it was referring to the size or my earlier id suggestion perhaps.

In that alternative universe, I'm sure the guy with the username 'doppelgangerbutty' would be saying something along the lines 'please don't ever use acronyms without specific context' and 'do not post replies where there could be any doubt the identity/precise location of the postee could be questioned in any way'.

(Apologies for my inexactness, I'm pretty sure I understood what I meant lol. I would argue that it has softened a bit perhaps, but certainly not a lot at all.)

Anyway ... ;-)

Last edited:
Getting back to the bird, and despite qexnar's belief that it is not, I think butty's suggestion of a House Wren best fits what can be seen in the photos.

It’s clewa
Getting back to the bird, and despite qexnar's belief that it is not, I think butty's suggestion of a House Wren best fits what can be seen in the photos.
agreed, pics look good for a house wren as well.

Ok, I sat outside for an hour or so and got what I hope are some more useful pictures. I do agree that it is smaller than I first thought. The shade in these pictures diminishes the contrast between back/underside, when it sits on a nearby pole in the sun, the underside is quite white. It never sat there while I was outside today though.

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    612.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5064.jpeg
    IMG_5064.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5063.jpeg
    IMG_5063.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5057.jpeg
    IMG_5057.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5065.jpeg
    IMG_5065.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5067.jpeg
    IMG_5067.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 29
Really. Birds are variable, but this is surely a House Wren, and looks, in its essentials, very like the bird in the photo in your link.

It's absolutely a wren - posture, beak shape, nest materials, and the barring on the wings in photo 5068 absolutely clinch it . Plain face (no strong white eyebrow) and mostly-white belly, and location, and proximity to humans, all point in favor of house wren. Completely ruling out Marsh or Sedge or Bewick's or Winter might benefit from a few more good photos, or maybe I'm just not very good at wrens. If you're seeing differences from the wrens in your other box, can you describe what differences you see?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back