• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Version Leica Televid APO 77 vs Opticron HR80 (1 Viewer)

Manxman3

Hello,

I'm sorry to join up on here looking for advice straight away. I want to get a spotting scope and like when possible to get something pretty good that will keep me happy for years without having to upgrade.

I have a choice of two spotting scopes to buy:

1/. The old Leica televid APO 77 with the 'standard' (whatever that is) and a 'telephoto lens. Comes with stay on cover and manfrotto 344 carbon tripod for £800 in good condition from private seller.

OR

2/. The old Opticron HR80 with SDL lens 20-70x (I think). This is an ex display basically as new for £550. Obviously I would then have to buy the cover and tripod. This is with a reputable dealer.

I don't know much about scopes so I'm hoping someone can get back to me pretty quickly with some suggestions. My understanding is that the Opticron is a good scope and I would not have service problems or difficulties with new parts and lenses etc if there is a problem. But other than that, what would you go for? Please help before I miss the opportunities. I think £800 is about as much as I can afford, (maybe a little more) so I'm hoping to get a good used one.

Last edited:
Hi Manxman and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BF :t:

I've moved your thread to the Opticron sub-section of the Forum as you are likely to get more feedback here.

I've also subscribed you to this thread so you don't lose track of it ;)

Hi Manxman and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BF :t:

I've moved your thread to the Opticron sub-section of the Forum as you are likely to get more feedback here.

I've also subscribed you to this thread so you don't lose track of it ;)

Thanks. I was in a rush and couldn't figure out how to start on a more appropriate part of the forum. It could of course have been in the Leica section if there is one. Thanks for your help. Any suggestions from anyone, let me know. Are the prices reasonable?

The Leica deal sounds a little vague. Is the tripod the Manfrotto 3444 perhaps? Could the standard and telephoto lens maybe mean a 32x fixed and the 20-60x zoom eyepieces. If so that certainly looks like an excellent deal.

The Opticron HR80 would maybe need to be an HR80 ED to satisfy as a longer term purchase?

Hi Norm. I've just checked. The Leica has the 20-60 and the 32 eye pieces. The tripod is the Manfrotto 443.

The Opticron HR 80 is the ED version.

Any further thoughts. Although the Leica has been used it is apparently as good as new?

The Leica looks much the better deal in terms of value and the nicety of having the complete kit ready to go; but of course carries the greater risk as it is a private sale. Do you have anyone locally who could help you evaluate the condition and performance of the scope?

You probably know there can be significant sample variation even in top quality scopes and that the ideal practice would involve a star test before purchase :
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211074

Thanks for taking the time to reply Norm.

So basically the Leica is probably the better deal assuming it is in immaculate working order? If it is would you go as far as to say it's a bargain? I wouldn't know what a diffraction ring was if I saw one so I think the star test might flop but maybe worth a try.

Does everyone agree, go for the Leica? Once I buy a cover and tripod for the Opticron it would come to about the same price I guess. Any other tips out there?

Not sure how much extra one would expect to pay for assurance from buying from a retailer, but this looks like a decent reference :
http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Us...pe-Inc-20-60x--32X-Eyepieces_USED-2070941.htm
That's a good dealer price since some dealers seem to charge approaching £1000 for the scope with only one eyepiece. The deal you are looking at is £200 less and includes a tripod and presumably head that you'd struggle to find used for less than say £150.
BTW straight scopes seem to fetch somewhat less that angled here in UK.

Ok Great! I've got an appointment to look at the Leica on Friday (today!). Any opinion how the Leica would stand up to a Kowa TSN 823 Prominar with a 32 x eye piece for £650? I'm sorry to come on here with all the questions. Any advice, regarding the Leica vs the Kowa 823 before lunchtime Friday would be very much appreciated. Here is the Kowa

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kowa-spot...UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item20d325f75a. Thanks for your suggestions Norm.

Well. I've got the Leica and it all appears to be in good order. I was a little concerned about the reports of 'peeling lenses' as this one will be used in the Isle of Man and it is apparently salt water which was thought likely to blame for those problems. This one however has a factory fitted filter which I guess should give it some protection.

I was amazed to see the Kowa sold for just £575! When you can pick up quality second hand stuff at these sort of prices relative to new, I'm surprised so many people are still buying new.

I'd like to thank Norm Jackson for his tips and the forum for giving me the 'vehicle' to get some suggestions. I think I got a good deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back